Overclocking i5-3570k to 4.2 GHz, do these numbers look OK? - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 36 Old 06-27-2016, 08:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6213
Quote:
Originally Posted by adequatelength View Post

Thanks for your input. What kind of temperatures do you think I should be getting? Intel BurnTest is so brutal.

My motherboard doesn't have a manual Vcore option. Do you advise against automatic because the BIOS tends to set the voltage too high? I see that a lot of people are using the "Offset" voltage mode. This is basically just a modified version of "Automatic" which either adds or subtracts an offset to the base automatic voltage right?

Anyways, I initially tried ~1.17 V but kept failing IBT maximum stress test. So now it SEEMS stable at 1.2... it's hard to get the motivation to run another 8 hour prime test biggrin.gif

The offset voltage is an addition or subtraction to the VID. It takes what the VID is for the current multiplier and clock speed and either adds or subtracts your set voltage amount. This is before any vDroop though, so you have to look at vDroop too.

Every time someone advises against using Auto, it's because Auto tends to make the voltage be much higher than it actually needs to be. Your voltage and temps are safe though, but I would still work to lower them because they can easily be lower.

Prime95's effectiveness shouldn't be judged on time. It's all a big misunderstanding that if you run it for X amount of hours, then you're good. There's more to it, but I have melting ice cream in front of me at the moment.

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 Old 06-27-2016, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

One problem with IBT is, if your copy of IBT isn't using the AVX instruction set, then it's not going to be worth anything. Also, 10 runs in IBT is almost as good as nothing, even on maximum. You'd need to test 50-100 runs. Even then, Prime95's 'Custom' test for Blend using 80-85% of your memory is far better.

It's so tough trying to research proper stress testing >.< seems like everyone has differing opinions on what should be done and for how long. What is your personal process/applications you run when going through stress testing? Any suggestions for reasonably confident testing that doesn't take 8+ hours? smile.gif Of course I'd love to lower my Vcore further if I can validate it quicker.
post #23 of 36 Old 06-27-2016, 08:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

It's so tough trying to research proper stress testing >< seems like everyone has differing opinions on what should be done and for how long. What is your personal process when going through stress testing? Any suggestions for reasonably confident testing that doesn't take 8+ hours? smile.gif

With overclocking, there are no shortcuts. IBT definitely isn't a shortcut by any means even though a lot of people want to believe it is, especially if it's not using the AVX instruction set. It's not a replacement for any test; it's just another type of test to run.

Prime95 isn't judged by time either. I haven't been able to time the latest version of Prime95, but the last version I tested was 27.9 and it had a total of 82 different FFTs, and at 15 minutes per FFT with several seconds of nothing in between each, it actually added up to be about 24 hours. Now, 82 x 15 minutes is 20.5 hours, but like I said there are several seconds of nothing in between each FFT and that adds up quickly.

With the latest version of Prime95, they have the default time per FFT set to 3 minutes. I'm not sure why they did that, but of course that would mean that you could comparatively zip right through 82 FFTs or however many it has now (it could be way more than 82 by now for all I know). Even so, that would take several hours. Not 24, but I'd bet close to 10, give or take a couple or maybe a few. You'd want to make sure your computer is stable enough to do all of the FFTs. That's why they're there. ;)

Also, there's nothing wrong with starting a stability test before you go to bed and then let it run all night. It's especially convenient if you have to wake up in the morning and rush out to work or school because then you're gone all day and the test should be long done by the time you get home.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

With overclocking, there are no shortcuts. IBT definitely isn't a shortcut by any means even though a lot of people want to believe it is, especially if it's not using the AVX instruction set. It's not a replacement for any test; it's just another type of test to run.

Prime95 isn't judged by time either. I haven't been able to time the latest version of Prime95, but the last version I tested was 27.9 and it had a total of 82 different FFTs, and at 15 minutes per FFT with several seconds of nothing in between each, it actually added up to be about 24 hours. Now, 82 x 15 minutes is 20.5 hours, but like I said there are several seconds of nothing in between each FFT and that adds up quickly.

With the latest version of Prime95, they have the default time per FFT set to 3 minutes. I'm not sure why they did that, but of course that would mean that you could comparatively zip right through 82 FFTs or however many it has now (it could be way more than 82 by now for all I know). Even so, that would take several hours. Not 24, but I'd bet close to 10, give or take a couple or maybe a few. You'd want to make sure your computer is stable enough to do all of the FFTs. That's why they're there. wink.gif

Also, there's nothing wrong with starting a stability test before you go to bed and then let it run all night. It's especially convenient if you have to wake up in the morning and rush out to work or school because then you're gone all day and the test should be long done by the time you get home.

Thanks for your insight. I'm actually in the middle of a Prime run right now! I want to ensure I have a stable setup, so I'll continue to put in the time.
post #25 of 36 Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 29
In addition to what TC said, Cinebench is quick to find instability in oc'ing. It'll crash if your vcore is inadequate.

Btw, I never have the patience to run prime, I'm using ibt & cb only tongue.gif

Since my mobo doesn't have off set mode, I'm running 4.1GHz with 1.16 1.152 vcore (1.170 1.175 V in bios)
post #26 of 36 Old 06-27-2016, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferxy View Post

In addition to what TC said, Cinebench is quick to find instability in oc'ing. It'll crash if your vcore is inadequate.

Btw, I never have the patience to run prime, I'm using ibt & cb only tongue.gif

Since my mobo doesn't have off set mode, I'm running 4.1GHz with 1.16 vcore (1.170 in bios)

Nice voltages. I was actually running Cinebench earlier as well. Do you typically just run it through once?
post #27 of 36 Old 06-27-2016, 10:09 PM
PC Gamer

Quote:

Nice voltages. I was actually running Cinebench earlier as well. Do you typically just run it through once?

I run cb first, around 3-4 times, after that, I run ibt & playing games. Even when stable in cb & ibt, playing some games can give bsod sometime if oc isn't stable.

At first I'm using 1.150 V in bios, but bsod when playing nfs rivals.

If you check the ivy oc link above, you'll see that my proc is so-so tongue.gif

Coz many use less vcore than mine at similar oc
post #28 of 36 Old 06-27-2016, 10:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thank you for helping, Luciferxy! It's good to have you here.

post #29 of 36 Old 06-27-2016, 10:41 PM
PC Gamer

Quote:

Thank you for helping, Luciferxy! It's good to have you here.

Thank you TC, you're always helpful & awesome as usual smile.gif
post #30 of 36 Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 PM

Location: between the Carpathian Mountains and the Baltic Sea.
Liked: 236
remember about vcore reading bug on asrock's z77 lineup.
that voltage may be higher than 1.24v that's why the temperatures seem to be on the rather warm side

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page