Sometimes, overclocked 5960x freezes on startup unless I pull power and plug it back in - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-25-2016, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So I have a 5960x that I have running at 4.4GHz with a vcore of around 1.3 volts. It's stable and I haven't had it crash at 1.3 while Windows is actually running. I've tested it with Prime95 for about 3 hours or so.
Sometimes, when I turn my computer on, the bios posts, shows the Windows logo (the one you see right after the bios finishes loading and it begins to boot from the drive) and then freezes. When I restart, it sometimes shows the "overclock failed" screen. If I increment the voltage up but the smallest increment (like from 1.3 to 1.30875 or whatever) it will boot but then like a week or two later not boot up again. I don't want to increase the voltage again for no reason especially since its stable once it actually boots. No matter how many times I reattempt to restart it, it always goes back to either freezing at the Windows boot logo screen or showing a blank ms-dos style thing with only a dos typing cursor thingy which is frozen.
If I turn it off, unplug the power, press the power button, plug it back in and then power it on, it will boot at 1.3 volts again.
If I boot into Linux, it doesn't have any problems.

I used to have a 3930k running at 4.5GHz. I don't remember the voltage. I used that system for quite a few years. I had done like a 48 hour Prime95 test before it to get it super stable and also sometimes ran F@H. It did the exact same bull****. It would never have problems while Windows is actually running but it would bluescreen or freeze during bootup sometimes. It would also boot into Linux with no problems everytime.

Does anyone else have this problem?

It's not really that big of a problem since the easy fix is a hard-restart and I only have to do this every few weeks (unless I just leave my computer on 24/7 because I'm too lazy to turn it off like I usually do anyway). It's just that if there's a bios setting for "disable random crashes which are just for lulz" that I'm missing, can someone show me where it is?

Explanation for edits: Accidentally pressed post before I was done typing so I had to just wing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2016, 06:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 576
Sounds like overclock is unstable. Try more volts on the CPU and at least see what it will take to boot reliably.

It can also be other things involved in Bios for a stable overclock, as just upping the volts on the CPU may not be enough like playing with CPU Core Ratio, CPU Core Voltage, System Agent Voltage, I/O Analog Voltage and I/O Digital Voltage etc...

Not familiar with the 5000X series but with my 4770k I needed to play with other values in the Bios.

Also check your RAM volts/timings/XMP.

Refer to my sig rig for other things you may need to do to overclock your CPU.

-Guide to 1st Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...ing-guide
-Guide to 2nd Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
http://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...e-fan-mod
Vote for sustainability with your dollar!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-25-2016, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah it's just that I haven't been able to make it bluescreen or crash or freeze while running P95, or doing some other demanding thing while the systems actually running but yeah I'll just add a little more and see if I can reach a point where it stops doing that.
Also, my cpu input is 1.87 and cpu cache is like 1.28 or so. I'm using identical ram sticks but I'll go double check that the timings are right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Unix Evangelist

Liked: 72
Sounds like cache voltage problem. What is cache speed set to? Try raising input voltage to 1.95 as well. That should be perfectly safe and lower cache speed to x38 or lower. I wouldnt raise cache voltage any higher than 1.28 myself.

post #5 of 5 Old 08-25-2016, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

My cache ratio is set to 30. That's the default value. lol I could try raising it to 38.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page