Intel 3930k overclocking help needed! - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-28-2016, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys.

I have been trying to simply have my 3930k over clock to 4GHz and it simply won't do it unless I raise the vcore to like 1.38 or something like that and i'm just heavily confused as to why because it used to be able to do 4GHz at a lower voltage and now it requires higher voltage? i'm kinda new to overclocking a bit. and sometimes I get a overclocking failed press f1 message when I reboot but not all the time. its like my cpu is very random. please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-29-2016, 09:42 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnance24 View Post

Hey guys.

I have been trying to simply have my 3930k over clock to 4GHz and it simply won't do it unless I raise the vcore to like 1.38 or something like that and i'm just heavily confused as to why because it used to be able to do 4GHz at a lower voltage and now it requires higher voltage? i'm kinda new to overclocking a bit. and sometimes I get a overclocking failed press f1 message when I reboot but not all the time. its like my cpu is very random. please help!

What cooling are you using? Motherboard?

1.38v is not all that uncommon. If it did 4.0GHz at lower voltage than it could be that your CPU is degrading.

Overclocking failed is a common thing if you are holding the power button to shut the computer off. If you are shutting down through windows then you have something unstable.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-30-2016, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus NM View Post

What cooling are you using? Motherboard?

1.38v is not all that uncommon. If it did 4.0GHz at lower voltage than it could be that your CPU is degrading.

Overclocking failed is a common thing if you are holding the power button to shut the computer off. If you are shutting down through windows then you have something unstable.

I have a Asus P9x79 motherboard worth an h100i cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Quote:

I have a Asus P9x79 motherboard worth an h100i cooler.

Ok, so Asus boards do that. Hold the power button down to turn the computer off and you will get the overclocking failed next time you turn it on.

What kind of thermals are you getting under load.

post #5 of 8 Old 08-30-2016, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh. Okay. The most details I can accurately give you is the overclocking failed message tends to pop up when I restart my computer after it has already been on after a while. But If it has sat in the room all day while being off and I turn it on, it is fine. Right now it is at 4Ghz and it is fine. But the thermal I get can range from 65 to 71 just after like 15 minutes of prime95 under 100% load. But I dont know what a safe temp is for my 3930k. like I dont know what temps would degrade it. I would like to get it to 4.4Ghz. But I forgot what my manual Vcore is at right now. And I dont know the max I should put my Vcore as a 24/7 overclock.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-30-2016, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok, so Asus boards do that. Hold the power button down to turn the computer off and you will get the overclocking failed next time you turn it on.

What kind of thermals are you getting under load.

Ahh. Okay. The most details I can accurately give you is the overclocking failed message tends to pop up when I restart my computer after it has already been on after a while. But If it has sat in the room all day while being off and I turn it on, it is fine. Right now it is at 4.2Ghz and it is fine. But the thermal I get can range from 65 to 71 just after like 15 minutes of prime95 under 100% load. But I dont know what a safe temp is for my 3930k. like I dont know what temps would degrade it. I would like to get it to 4.4Ghz. My core Voltage is 1.320 right now. And I dont know the max I should put my Vcore as a 24/7 overclock. Right now with just sitting idle, my max temps have been 56 degrees celcius.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-31-2016, 09:14 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Quote:

Ahh. Okay. The most details I can accurately give you is the overclocking failed message tends to pop up when I restart my computer after it has already been on after a while. But If it has sat in the room all day while being off and I turn it on, it is fine. Right now it is at 4.2Ghz and it is fine. But the thermal I get can range from 65 to 71 just after like 15 minutes of prime95 under 100% load. But I dont know what a safe temp is for my 3930k. like I dont know what temps would degrade it. I would like to get it to 4.4Ghz. My core Voltage is 1.320 right now. And I dont know the max I should put my Vcore as a 24/7 overclock. Right now with just sitting idle, my max temps have been 56 degrees celcius.

Where do live? Somewhere very hot? Idle should be in the 30s with your cooler. Maybe try reapplying thermal paste. Run at 4.0 until you can get some thermal grizzly. While your temps aren't bad, thermal was more limiting on Sandy bridge than Ivy which is voltage limited. My 3930K has been running at 4.5 for so long I have completely forgotten what voltage I am at. I have it paired with 64gb of 2133MHz g.skill memory. A couple of r9 295x2s and a couple of 800gb Intel 750 SSDs. So most everything going through the CPU is saturated.

Have you been the only owner of this chip?

post #8 of 8 Old 08-31-2016, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Where do live? Somewhere very hot? Idle should be in the 30s with your cooler. Maybe try reapplying thermal paste. Run at 4.0 until you can get some thermal grizzly. While your temps aren't bad, thermal was more limiting on Sandy bridge than Ivy which is voltage limited. My 3930K has been running at 4.5 for so long I have completely forgotten what voltage I am at. I have it paired with 64gb of 2133MHz g.skill memory. A couple of r9 295x2s and a couple of 800gb Intel 750 SSDs. So most everything going through the CPU is saturated.

Have you been the only owner of this chip?

The thing is my room is cool with air condition. So where I live is kind of irrelevant in this situation. but it stays around 38 celcius when it is on for a little sitting idle when it has not ran a game, but when it has ran a game and then goes back to idle, it sits in the 50's. I bought the chip brand new. Can you tell me what temps I should never be at with my cpu on 100% load?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page