E6550 OC'D GREAT TEMPS with Stock cooler. - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
1.7ghz
 
bleachigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Here's my temps on idle at current OC.My CPU temps look pretty good also but the difference is i'm using an old Cooler Master Vortex something that i bought 4 years ago instead of stock HSF and it's doing a pretty good job at it and granted ambient temps right now are good too(I saw a review on this HSF before and they said it wasn't all that great compared to the Intel stock cooler).

bleachigo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 41 Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
 
Xx573v3xX_Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
Yes, but the problem is that it is physically impossible for your CPU temps to be lower than your case temps on an air cooling system. This leaves us with a few explainations:
1.) I either read your temp reading wrong.
2.) You have incorrect temp reading on your CPU.
3.) You have incorrect case temp readings.
4.) Both 2 and 3.

EDIT: Another curiousity.....you case fan is running in the pic, but not your CPU fan. ?
1 i have no case temps lol. I took the sensors off. too many wires.
Also I have a very good camera for high speeds.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachigo View Post
Here's my temps on idle at current OC.My CPU temps look pretty good also but the difference is i'm using an old Cooler Master Vortex something that i bought 4 years ago instead of stock HSF and it's doing a pretty good job at it and granted ambient temps right now are good too(I saw a review on this HSF before and they said it wasn't all that great compared to the Intel stock cooler).

dude you have got to be freezing in your room for those temps lol
when my cpu runs at 26 I get bumps lol
And yes i'm going to overclock it even farther maybe to 3.4-3.45ghz on stock cooler because i'd like to stay under 50c load and until my tuniq tower comes I can't wait for the sexy look lol.
Xx573v3xX_Z28 is offline  
post #23 of 41 Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Game Programmer
 
lordikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 12,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 829
There is something wrong with your temps. 18C is 64F. 64F is fairly cold as an ambient temperature. Even at idle, with ANY fan, you're likely to run 10-15C above that. I've seen water cooling solutions that cannot get temps that low, so to have those temps on AIR is nearly impossible unless you're running in a refrigerated case.

Especially considering the amount of OC, voltage you're giving that CPU, and the fact it is a 65nm.


Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

lordikon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 41 Old 02-28-2008, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
Xx573v3xX_Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
There is something wrong with your temps. 18C is 64F. 64F is fairly cold as an ambient temperature. Even at idle, with ANY fan, you're likely to run 10-15C above that. I've seen water cooling solutions that cannot get temps that low, so to have those temps on AIR is nearly impossible unless you're running in a refrigerated case.

Especially considering the amount of OC, voltage you're giving that CPU, and the fact it is a 65nm.
Not if he lives in cold areas like me. With my windows open at 40F outside i run at 27C IDLE....

So its possible its much colder where hes at.
Xx573v3xX_Z28 is offline  
post #25 of 41 Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 AM
Game Programmer
 
lordikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 12,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Sigh...

That doesn't change the fact that it is impossible to get CPU temps lower than ambient temps with air cooling. 27C idle is much more than 18C idle. 27C might be reasonable with 18C ambient with decent airflow and idling.


Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

lordikon is offline  
post #26 of 41 Old 02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
1.7ghz
 
bleachigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It does get cold over here but that is always my idle temps.When i do turn on the heater,temps do rise but i don't know why it's like that.Guess the big fan on top of the Antec 900 helps to suck out all the hot air.I'm at work right now but when i get home i'll take some more screenies and tests to show.
bleachigo is offline  
post #27 of 41 Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 AM
4.0ghz
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney , Australia
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 132
well ure temp says 54 Farenheit on ure Vista Side bar.Thats 12 Degress Celsius

So is idle is 18 and 21 then thats Correct.

AMBIENT TEMPS MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!
Benny99 is offline  
post #28 of 41 Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
Xx573v3xX_Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
Sigh...

That doesn't change the fact that it is impossible to get CPU temps lower than ambient temps with air cooling. 27C idle is much more than 18C idle. 27C might be reasonable with 18C ambient with decent airflow and idling.


ever since since i re seated my heatsink i get 33c idle before it was 40c idle with the 360 on and the windows closed.

Wonder what i'd get with the 360 off and the window open lol
Xx573v3xX_Z28 is offline  
post #29 of 41 Old 02-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Game Programmer
 
lordikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 12,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 829
If you can sit comfortably at 54F and use your computer, more power to you. I think I'll just get a bigger HS myself.


Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

lordikon is offline  
post #30 of 41 Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
 
Xx573v3xX_Z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon View Post
If you can sit comfortably at 54F and use your computer, more power to you. I think I'll just get a bigger HS myself.
same here lol. I want to buy one but i have no paypal, and my dads a complete A.. and won't buy anything off of newegg for me lol. Even if i pay him 5 dollars to do it .
Xx573v3xX_Z28 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off