q6600 3.0 to 3.4 performance gain little or alot? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
i have q6600 at 3.0 default voltage running stable 24 hour wondering how much performance will get if boost it up to 3.4 from 3.0?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Liked: 1270
Of course you will. Bump it up, this is Overclock.net not the Dell forums.

Overclock.net Mod of the Month 0508 

post #3 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 02:55 PM
3.0ghz

Liked: 57
Go for 3.4, i noticed a diff going to 3.2...
Watch the heat though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 79
ya there is a difference when encoding but overall i didnt see the need to leave mine at 3.4. I run 3.0 @ 1.21v 24/7 and g skill ram at 1000mhz.

I will say that after i switched to NCQ (ahci if your mobo supports it) load times of large programs dropped a lot and multi tasking improved

From some other site in reference to OCing from CMH

Quote:
"...Or you can just sit back and be sure that even if its not any faster, it definitely isn't any slower."
post #5 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 48
allright then i will bump it up to 3.4

post #6 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM
FTW PC

Liked: 515
when I overclocked to 3.4 from 2.4 i saw comparable performance increase in folding. its a 42% overclock and I saw a 38% dec in my times

Eric - FTW PC Rep
[eric [at] ftwpc.com]
Store | Forum | Facebook | Twitter | Reseller Ratings

"Like" us on Facebook for a chance to win newly released products
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvgWhiteGuy go_quote.gif
Z is a pawn to the power that was Mort. He moderates like a boss.

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #7 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Liked: 153
i overclocked to 3.2 and saw minimal real world performance increases. i did see a bump in a 3dmark06 score from 10k to 12.5k though from stock.

System: Gateway FX P-6860 CPU: Core 2 Duo T5550 1.8GHZ Memory: 4GB DDR2 5300 667 MHZ
Graphics Card:
8800M GTS 512MB DDR3 Hard Drive: 320GB
OS:Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1 Battery: 9 cell lithium ion Weight: 9.1lbs ouch
post #8 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 04:01 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleiro View Post
ya there is a difference when encoding but overall i didnt see the need to leave mine at 3.4. I run 3.0 @ 1.21v 24/7 and g skill ram at 1000mhz.

I will say that after i switched to NCQ (ahci if your mobo supports it) load times of large programs dropped a lot and multi tasking improved

Sorry to be asking a n00b question here, but what is NCQ or ahci? Thanks!!

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

post #9 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Good news everyone!

Liked: 531
Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a hardware mechanism that allows software to communicate with Serial ATA (SATA) devices (such as host bus adapters) that are designed to offer features not offered by Parallel ATA (PATA) controllers, such as hot-plugging and native command queuing. The specification details a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors in order to transfer data between system memory and the device.

Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is a technology designed to increase performance of SATA hard disks under certain situations by allowing the individual hard disk to internally optimize the order in which received read and write commands are executed. This can reduce the amount of unnecessary drive head movement, resulting in increased performance (and slightly decreased wear of the drive) for workloads where multiple simultaneous read/write requests are outstanding, most often occurring in server-type applications. However, the current (as of 2004) technology actually slows down HD access in certain applications, like games and sequential reads & writes, because of the added latency induced by NCQ logic.

woohoo, go wikipedia

in english, connects hard disk to motherboard better than...the other way i have forgotten.

7 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #10 of 10 Old 04-11-2008, 07:22 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydyboyd View Post
Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is a hardware mechanism that allows software to communicate with Serial ATA (SATA) devices (such as host bus adapters) that are designed to offer features not offered by Parallel ATA (PATA) controllers, such as hot-plugging and native command queuing. The specification details a system memory structure for computer hardware vendors in order to transfer data between system memory and the device.

Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is a technology designed to increase performance of SATA hard disks under certain situations by allowing the individual hard disk to internally optimize the order in which received read and write commands are executed. This can reduce the amount of unnecessary drive head movement, resulting in increased performance (and slightly decreased wear of the drive) for workloads where multiple simultaneous read/write requests are outstanding, most often occurring in server-type applications. However, the current (as of 2004) technology actually slows down HD access in certain applications, like games and sequential reads & writes, because of the added latency induced by NCQ logic.

woohoo, go wikipedia

in english, connects hard disk to motherboard better than...the other way i have forgotten.
i have read that and i do agree... although the newer motherboards (P5E x38 is what i have) the benchmark tests with achi are some of the fastest controllers out right now. i will see if i can find it, basically using NCQ for requesting many files (not benchmark reads) is just a little slower than a raptor drive

From some other site in reference to OCing from CMH

Quote:
"...Or you can just sit back and be sure that even if its not any faster, it definitely isn't any slower."

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page