E2180 Temperature Weirdness - XP vs. Vista - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 135
So for the last few months I've been complaining that my E2180 is hitting 70+ degrees while overclocked to 3Ghz. Having accepted my fate I decided to go with the highest possible overclock that would keep my temperatures under 60 degrees, a disappointing 2.4Ghz.

Later I installed Vista and didn't bother with anymore overclocking because I figured my temperatures would be out of this world like it was in XP.

Then it happened...I became bored this morning.

I upped the vcore to 1.4 (reported as 1.424 in CPU-Z), set it to 3Ghz and voila...a 30 minute run with Orthos yielded a 10 degree difference! Yep. XP reported 68 degrees after 1 minute and Vista reported 58 degrees after half an hour. They start out at the same temperature of 38-42 degrees at idle but as soon as Orthos starts XP shoots up!

Any ideas why this may be and more importantly what temperature should be treated as correct?

Lately XP has become problematic. Slow performance on Lord of the Rings Online (although this could be related to DX9 compared to DX10 but with an under powered 8600GTS I really doubt it), poor benchmark scores (my 40GB ATA-100 that Vista is installed on is getting better performance than my 80GB SATAII)...if I could figure out the damned Vista updated/viewing Microsoft sites problem I'd run Vista full time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmaBum9
OSs are only as secure as the user that runs them. No amount of code can fix stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 AM
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

Liked: 776
Are you using the same version of HWmonitor on both vista and XP?
That is weird though. Maybe you could try a new XP install?

bulb.gifCan I Overclock My Brain?... All I Gotta Do Is Increase Its Stock Voltage bulb.gif
cheers.gifBritish Overclockers Club cheers.gif

ATi Clubs and Essential Threads - ATi Aftermarket Cooling Database - ATi Overclocking Guide - ATi Driver Guide
post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 07:06 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry View Post
I decided to go with the highest possible overclock that would keep my temperatures under 60 degrees
Hmm I might do that just to see if what i can hit. Then go back to my 3.1 ghz on stock vcore.

I'll let you know what I find.

So far i've been only running vista and it seems my temps are really good (never above 50C) on 55% OC. I Idle in the low 20s and load is around mid-high 40s. Ambient temps is around 20ish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 07:18 AM
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotard View Post
Hmm I might do that just to see if what i can hit. Then go back to my 3.1 ghz on stock vcore.

I'll let you know what I find.

So far i've been only running vista and it seems my temps are really good (never above 50C) on 55% OC. I Idle in the low 20s and load is around mid-high 40s. Ambient temps is around 20ish
What are you using to monitor temps?
If speedfan you need to add 15*C to the temps, as speedfan (Incorrectly) reads the Tj.Max as 85*C instead of 100*C. Hwmonitor is correct, as is coretemp 0.96 (only version 0.96, the later version is also wrong. Just make sure it never goes above 60*C in speedfan or 75*C in hwmonitor.

bulb.gifCan I Overclock My Brain?... All I Gotta Do Is Increase Its Stock Voltage bulb.gif
cheers.gifBritish Overclockers Club cheers.gif

ATi Clubs and Essential Threads - ATi Aftermarket Cooling Database - ATi Overclocking Guide - ATi Driver Guide
post #5 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

I'm using the same version of HWMonitor. I'm actually running it in Vista off of my XP hard drive.

I'm inclined to go with what Vista is showing because there's someone in the E1xxx/E2xxx stable overclock thread running about the same voltage with the stock heatsink but getting better temperatures than me in XP. In Vista I'm getting better temperatures than they are.

It's very strange. I'm thinking I may do a full reinstallation on both. It's been since early October on XP and Vista is having odd update/web page problems as I mentioned.

I'm curious to see what other people think about this though.

Quote:
OSs are only as secure as the user that runs them. No amount of code can fix stupid.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 07:23 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeejunky View Post
What are you using to monitor temps?
If speedfan you need to add 15*C to the temps, as speedfan (Incorrectly) reads the Tj.Max as 85*C instead of 100*C. Hwmonitor is correct, as is coretemp 0.96 (only version 0.96, the later version is also wrong. Just make sure it never goes above 58*C in speedfan or 73*C in hwmonitor.
Core temp ^_^ althought I may have to download HWmonitor to se what it says.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

Just for kicks I'll download the applications and run them from the same HD that Vista is installed on to help eliminate the chance of any funky software quirks. If that still shows some discrepencies then something is seriously wrong, either with XP or Vista. In turn that'll probably mean a reformat of Vista since it's the newest install.

If my performance and speed problems resolve themselves then I'll reformat XP and everything will be just peachy.

Still, any suggestions or thoughts?

Quote:
post #8 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
4.0 GHz

Just an update, I grabbed HWMonitor again and have it on the drive with Vista and compared the values in it to the one that is on the drive with XP. They now match up. I'm not sure what was going on earlier today but I'll check again in the morning once things have cooled off.

Near as I can figure my idle temperatures are now 6 degrees warmer because of a large rise in the ambient temperature. I wish I had a thermometer to check the temperature.

Either way it's back up to almost 70 degrees under full load with my vcore bumped up to 1.44v since it wasn't stable at 1.42.

Man this is disheartening. I think I'm going to have to pick up a better heatsink because the V60 and Tempest I was using just don't have enough cooling power to keep things to where they should be.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page