E8400, new to overclocking, looking for some help. - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi there everyone. I'm fairly new to overclocking. The last time I tried it was on a AMD Thunderbird and basically fried it (on that CPU, you had to make a marking on the CPU itself with a pencil.. that's where I messed up). With that said, I get a little nervous messing with this stuff.

I just bought a E8400 (retail, batch Q748A211) a couple weeks ago and I'm still running it at stock speeds.

I'm not looking to go crazy, I just want to overclock it a bit on stock cooling (maybe 3.6?). My problem is that I really don't know what settings need to be enabled/disabled/changed in the bios, and what to change them to.

Could someone give me a few pointers?

I've read a lot of overclocking guides.. but can't seem to make heads or tails.

My other specs:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
RAM: OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)

I'm worried I may have made a bad purchase with the ram.. I can't seem to get it OC'd to 1066mhz stable. I knew I should have just bought 1066 to begin with.. but I was on a relatively tight budget.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
wierdo124 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 06:19 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 389
There is nothing wrong with that RAM.
Depending on your E8400 you may be able to hit 3.6 at stock voltage. Try setting the FSB at 400. Don't do anything else. Leave everything else at stock except set your RAM voltage to 2.1 volts.
If that doesn't work you'll have to start bumping up the voltage a little at a time. Start there.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
How Hard Can It Be?

Liked: 442
Yeah, pump the FSB to 400 and then slowly move the CPU speed up.

Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFRD in suggestions forum 
*poof*

Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant  Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  6 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Thanks a lot for the replies.

What words am I supposed to be looking for in the bios? Like weirdo said, "move the cpu speed up".. what setting is responsible for altering cpu speed?

This is mostly where I stumble.. at the technical terminology. I've got a handle on what things do for the most part... but sometimes things aren't immediately clear.

Also, why would I set my ram voltage to 2.1 in order to overclock the CPU? Just curious what that has to do with it.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 07:39 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcooke View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies.

What words am I supposed to be looking for in the bios? Like weirdo said, "move the cpu speed up".. what setting is responsible for altering cpu speed?

This is mostly where I stumble.. at the technical terminology. I've got a handle on what things do for the most part... but sometimes things aren't immediately clear.

Also, why would I set my ram voltage to 2.1 in order to overclock the CPU? Just curious what that has to do with it.
The reason to set your RAM voltage to 2.1 is that is what it's supposed to be. Many motherboards default the RAM voltage to 1.8 and that might not allow you to POST(Power On Self Test)
I'm not sure what terminology your particular board uses for FSB(Front Side Bus) but at stock it should be set at 333.

Edit: I found your BIOS screen. This is what you should do.
Set CPU Host Clock to Enable
CPU host Freq to 400
and PCI express freq to 100
http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bios2uu6.jpg

If I read that BIOS right that should get you to 3.6 depending on how good your E8400 is. Some get there on the stock voltage some need to bump up their voltage.
arcooke likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Ok here's the prognosis:

I set everything as mentioned ... except the memory voltage because the only option was "overvoltage" and I didn't see anything about the current voltage. It just gave options for +.1 +.2 etc.

I rebooted, checked CPUID and it was indeed at 3.6, but within 1 minute my system restarted. While I was in the bios I checked the temperatures before overclocking and I was at 41C.. everything stock. So maybe overclocking with my stock cooler isn't such a good idea after all. 41C seems a little hot for idling.. but my house is really warm too so that's probably a big cause.

Here is my default bios screen:

post #7 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 201
Meh, I have almost the same build as you, except i'm getting GTS 512mb, Segate 250gb/500gb (didn't decide yet), and a smaller monitor.
And I'm probably more noob at overclocking than you.

"I play Terran because I have self respect. Apologize for playing Zerg."

Flickr Canon XSi | 70-200 F/4L | 055XPROB + Magnesit 35nm

Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #8 of 8 Old 04-23-2008, 12:30 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcooke View Post
Ok here's the prognosis:

I set everything as mentioned ... except the memory voltage because the only option was "overvoltage" and I didn't see anything about the current voltage. It just gave options for +.1 +.2 etc.

I rebooted, checked CPUID and it was indeed at 3.6, but within 1 minute my system restarted. While I was in the bios I checked the temperatures before overclocking and I was at 41C.. everything stock. So maybe overclocking with my stock cooler isn't such a good idea after all. 41C seems a little hot for idling.. but my house is really warm too so that's probably a big cause.

Here is my default bios screen:
The DS3L has a default Ram voltage of 1.8, yes you WILL need to overvolt it to +.3v Try that and see where you stand, also with that BIOS, to get an expanded RAM menu, at the main BIOS screen press Ctrl+F1 and then go into the tweaker menu, it will reveal the ram timings section, make sure your timings are set to the specified timings of your ram

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page