Recomend me a CPU - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 04-24-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bloomington, MN, USA
Posts: 2,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Okay, I just bought a EVGA 8600GT for my EVGA 630i. I am currently using a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz HT, and I want to upgrade. What Processer AND After-Market cooler can I get for 200$ USD or LESS.

Thanks!

I do some mild gaming, but mainly stick to some 3d rendering and photoshop.

For overclocking, I will do some, just what my After market can handle.
CorporalAris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 Old 04-24-2008, 02:02 PM
 
Tricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Send a message via MSN to Tricky Send a message via Skype™ to Tricky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalAris View Post
Okay, I just bought a EVGA 8600GT for my EVGA 630i. I am currently using a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz HT, and I want to upgrade. What Processer AND After-Market cooler can I get for 200$ USD or LESS.

Thanks!
200 or less? Hmm.

CPU: Core 2 E6750
Cooler: Scythe Infinity

It does stretch your limit (20$).. But a cpu with less than 4MB of cache isnt great..

Hope this helped you! If you wont OC much, you can get an E6550 (has lower clock speed and multi) and it will fit your budget.

Tricky is offline  
post #3 of 43 Old 04-24-2008, 02:04 PM
What Were They Thinking?!
 
GoneTomorrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporalAris View Post
Okay, I just bought a EVGA 8600GT for my EVGA 630i. I am currently using a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz HT, and I want to upgrade. What Processer AND After-Market cooler can I get for 200$ USD or LESS.

Thanks!
How about an E6850? Esp. one that I happen to have for sale for $170 shipped?

camera.gifOfficial OCN Camera Club | Photography Essentials Thread camera.gif

Canon 5D Mk II (35/1.4L | 24-70/2.8L | 135/2L | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2)

flickr | Semper Fidelis

GoneTomorrow is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 43 Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM
4.0ghz
 
5CheeseLasagna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 110
For $200 or less, you could have a pretty big upgrade by going with the E2180 and the Tuniq Tower (because it comes with a fan, whereas it's competition, the Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme doesn't) all for around $135 or less if you find better deals than NewEgg, which isn't necessiarly all that hard sometimes!

You should be able to overclock the E2180 to at least 2.90GHz from the stock speed of 2.0GHz. And since it's a dual-core, and also since it's essentially a Conroe (but under the Allendale name), which is what the Core2 Duos are, you will definitely notice a difference! I had the E2180, and it has a pack date of 12/17/07. These newer E2180's aren't going past 2.95GHz from what I've experienced and have seen. But still... that's quite an overclock, and that's extremely fast. I should know - I almost miss it. But I admit, the E8400 is much faster.
5CheeseLasagna is offline  
post #5 of 43 Old 04-24-2008, 02:11 PM
 
Tricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Send a message via MSN to Tricky Send a message via Skype™ to Tricky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CheeseLasagna View Post
For $200 or less, you could have a pretty big upgrade by going with the E2180 and the Tuniq Tower (because it comes with a fan, whereas it's competition, the Thermaltake Ultra 120 Extreme doesn't) all for around $135 or less if you find better deals than NewEgg, which isn't necessiarly all that hard sometimes!

You should be able to overclock the E2180 to at least 2.90GHz from the stock speed of 2.0GHz. And since it's a dual-core, and also since it's essentially a Conroe (but under the Allendale name), will notice a difference! I had the E2180, and it has a pack date of 12/17/07. These newer E2180's aren't going past 2.95GHz from what I've experienced and have seen. But still... that's quite an overclock, and that's extremely fast. I should know - I almost miss it. But I admit, the E8400 is much faster.
1. E2xxx cpu's suck.. They too slow! It wont be a big jump from his P4 tbh.
2. E8400 would be sweet, but it aint in his budget range.

Tricky is offline  
post #6 of 43 Old 04-24-2008, 02:12 PM
4.0ghz
 
5CheeseLasagna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
1. E2xxx cpu's suck.. They too slow! It wont be a big jump from his P4 tbh.
2. E8400 would be sweet, but it aint in his budget range.
  1. The e2180 did not suck for me. I mean, let's ask him what his needs are, and then we shall make recommendations that will get him the best bang for his buck. It's not up to us to decide what's too fast or too slow. Let the OP decide that. Also, I'm being budget-minded because the OP is budget-minded.
  2. I wasn't recommending the E8400. I was just making a comment to answer the inevitable question of "if you love the E2180 so much, then why do you have an E8400?"
5CheeseLasagna is offline  
post #7 of 43 Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
 
Tricky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Send a message via MSN to Tricky Send a message via Skype™ to Tricky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5CheeseLasagna View Post
1. Let's ask him what his needs are. It's not up to us to decide what's too fast or too slow. Let the OP decide that. Also, I'm being budget-minded because the OP is budget-minded.
2. I wasn't recommending the E8400. I was just making a comment to answer the inevitable question of "if you love the E2180 so much, then why do you have an E8400?"
I see your point.. But you must agree that the E2XXX cpu's are just too slow.

Tricky is offline  
post #8 of 43 Old 04-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Professional GTA 4 Modder
 
G|F.E.A.D|Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Flagstaff AZ
Posts: 13,809
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Send a message via MSN to G|F.E.A.D|Killa
you cant go wrong with a 800mhz P3. that thing is a beast. kills my E8400. but for a good processor i would get a allendale core. they are pretty cheap and overclock like mad

G|F.E.A.D|Killa is offline  
post #9 of 43 Old 04-24-2008, 02:17 PM
4.0ghz
 
5CheeseLasagna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
I see your point.. But you must agree that the E2XXX cpu's are just too slow.
Too slow for what? And for whom? Again, it wasn't too slow for me. In fact, it was overkill for me. But I wanted further future-proofing, so that's a part of the reason why I went with the E8400. The other reason is that I was greedy and I had extra money.

But if I didn't get the e8400, then I'd still be 1,000% satisfied with the E2180.
5CheeseLasagna is offline  
post #10 of 43 Old 04-24-2008, 02:18 PM
BaBaBooey BaBaBooey
 
10acjed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 566
10acjed is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off