alk
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitteo View Post
And in the chipset for this "mobo in the freezer" will not crack from thermal contraction @ -90c?
No. because the rate at which it cools will not be as high. The air has a low specific heat capacity, so you require huge volumes of air to cool the chipset to -90 degrees. Liquid nitrogen on the other hand, that will evaporate on contact, then you have a change in phase transfering heat faster than any convection process could.

It's all about the rate at which these things happen. In slower circumstances, the macroscopic structure of the material can alter without significant damage (Given the material properties of course), but when you cool things fast, the materials macroscopic structure changes very quickly, which causes impurities or atomic edge dislocations to form cracks (Edge dislocations are present in every material. Its why materials dont behave anything like the strength of their atomic chemical bonds).The coefficient of thermal expansion of the material also comes into play, but there really is far too much thermodynamics and material science to explain it all on here!
Choggs396 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 97 Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Why are you not Folding?

Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk View Post
No. because the rate at which it cools will not be as high. The air has a low specific heat capacity, so you require huge volumes of air to cool the chipset to -90 degrees. Liquid nitrogen on the other hand, that will evaporate on contact, then you have a change in phase transfering heat faster than any convection process could.

It's all about the rate at which these things happen. In slower circumstances, the macroscopic structure of the material can alter without significant damage (Given the material properties of course), but when you cool things fast, the materials macroscopic structure changes very quickly, which causes impurities or atomic edge dislocations to form cracks (Edge dislocations are present in every material. Its why materials dont behave anything like the strength of their atomic chemical bonds).The coefficient of thermal expansion of the material also comes into play, but there really is far too much thermodynamics and material science to explain it all on here!
Wow, you sound like you slept in a Holiday Inn last night!

30 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #83 of 97 Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 PM
alk
4.0ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitteo View Post
Wow, you sound like you slept in a Holiday Inn last night!
What can I say, it is exam time and I'm studying Mechanical Engineering. OCN provides me with my procrastination.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 97 Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 PM
★★★★what the pho★★★★

Liked: 477
Both of you guys arguing about condensation--you're both right. (a) liquid water won't condense on the components if the temperature is below the dew point, and (b) water on the components will still be an issue. Why? Because there is still water in the freezer--in the form of ice. Freezers are never dry, that's why you have to defrost them every now and then, because water sublimes at similar conditions as in a freezer (sublimation is going from a solid to a gas), then it deposits (deposition is going from gas to solid) on surfaces in the freezer. Solid water (ice) will still conduct electricity like liquid water, so you'd still have to worry about arcing and shorting components.

I am going to keep an open mind, but I'll say that I don't believe this is going on yet--need pics or links for proof. I'd say that some of the components would actually fail at -90C temperatures--not due to electrical arcing problems (due to water), but due to the metals and other materials composing the boards/connections contracting and causing shorts. But that's just my hypothesis...

EDIT--looks like I was quasi-beaten to it, though I don't think the boards would crack/break, just cause shorts in electrical connections if kept at 90C

Originally Posted by arbalest go_quote.gif
...not needed unless you actually need it for something.
post #85 of 97 Old 04-25-2008, 03:02 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 98
You'd need a golden chip to do that. =/

If you see a Clinic running around in your game, chances are it's me! Say hello!
post #86 of 97 Old 04-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Back on the Air

Liked: 607
This thread is giving me an idea for a business.

A Cyber Ice Cream Shop!

Cybercafes are for nerds with laptops, drinking coffee and checking their email.

Cyber Ice Cream Shops are where motherboards are fried and legends are made while overclocking their rigs to 5GHz+...and you can get a banana split with extra cherries.
post #87 of 97 Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 28
ah,nothing like waking up and looking at ocn.
Still,i give up,i wont get my pc in that freezer ever again.When we were closing,we got the pc out,and i had a look inside the case.Hdds were almost totally frozen,and they already have a fan.And i had much more time accessing any files at the pc,while sata 2 uses 3.0gb,it was much of,2.0 gb.
Wish my hard disk didn't get hurt
But....what is the w. record for q6600?
nitteo likes this.
post #88 of 97 Old 04-26-2008, 01:21 AM
SR-2 can do 5 GiggleHertz

Liked: 315
they make phase coolers for a reason, and thats to put the CPU @ -120-150*C 24/7 in suicides... and the records are set with LN2/DICE/multiple stage Phasers... 5stage Argon @ -200+ the bonkers kinds of people, and u and ur uncles ice cream truck aren't going to get close, unless you happen to have some super uber stepped Q6600 with an amazing VID and Wattage rating...

CISSP, ITIL v3 Foundations, Security+, Linux+, Cloud+, Server+, Project+, Network+, A+, LPIC-1
Working on: CCENT

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  10 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Migration_Sherpa  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #89 of 97 Old 04-26-2008, 02:19 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 577
I wanna see what this PC looks like sitting in a zubzero freezer

take some pics man!!!

post #90 of 97 Old 04-26-2008, 05:51 AM
alk
4.0ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryuautku View Post
ah,nothing like waking up and looking at ocn.
Still,i give up,i wont get my pc in that freezer ever again.When we were closing,we got the pc out,and i had a look inside the case.Hdds were almost totally frozen,and they already have a fan.And i had much more time accessing any files at the pc,while sata 2 uses 3.0gb,it was much of,2.0 gb.
Wish my hard disk didn't get hurt
But....what is the w. record for q6600?
Here it is http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=319165

Check the hwbot page http://www.hwbot.org/quickSearch.do?hardwareId=CPU_919

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page