E8400 Oc - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Bioweapon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Well, over the weekened I'll be overclocking my friend's E8400. I'm hoping to achieve a safe overclock around 3.66ghz.

This review says a good voltage is at 1.5V to get to 4ghz but thats not what Im trying to reach.

Anyone have any FSB or Voltage recommendations?

[Project] Ω Reestablished / [Project]Nemesis i7 Revival
"A new Genesis is at hand, and I shall be its creator!"~Albert Wesker
"The best case mods are never finished, but in a perpetual state of evolution."~Flux
"Do not let the kindness of your heart be sullied by the underhandedness and lack of sincerity of those that you cross paths with." ~ Syrillian

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
733mhz

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
Well, over the weekened I'll be overclocking my friend's E8400. I'm hoping to achieve a safe overclock around 3.66ghz.

This review says a good voltage is at 1.5V to get to 4ghz but thats not what Im trying to reach.

You should be able to easily get 3.6 just by changing the FSB to 1600, leaving the voltage as "auto" in the bios. A lot of folks are able to do it even after lowering the voltage. Most people only need to start increasing the voltage when they go over 3.6.

EDIT: That article you linked to even says: "First of all we tried overclocking our Core 2 Duo E8500 sample without raising its Vcore. In this case the CPU ran stably at 3.66GHz frequency."

post #3 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 12:52 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 25
I wouldn't take that processor above 1.3625V per the intel specs on their website. A lot of people have burned up their E8xxx series by going over that voltage on this forum and others.

I had mine stable during winter at 3.6 with an 8x multi and 400 fsb setting at 1.225v. the only other volts I changed were for the ram as they are rated to run at 2.2v with 4-4-4-12 timings. Alas though, I live in FL and summer has already begun for us so I undid my OC, but it will return once the weather chills out again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Professional GTA 4 Modder

Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioniccrackmonk View Post
I wouldn't take that processor above 1.3625V per the intel specs on their website. A lot of people have burned up their E8xxx series by going over that voltage on this forum and others.

I had mine stable during winter at 3.6 with an 8x multi and 400 fsb setting at 1.225v. the only other volts i changed were for the ram as they are rated to run at 2.2v with 4-4-4-12 timings. Alas though, I live in FL and summer has already begun for us so I undid my OC, but it will return once it the weather chills out again.
there was only one person that killed it by taking it above 1.4 and that was tricky. he didnt know what he was doing. i have had mine clear up to 1.53 set in bios for hours benching and had no problems. so dont be afraid to push the chip alittle

post #5 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRashed View Post
You should be able to easily get 3.6 just by changing the FSB to 1600, leaving the voltage as "auto" in the bios. A lot of folks are able to do it even after lowering the voltage. Most people only need to start increasing the voltage when they go over 3.6.

EDIT: That article you linked to even says: "First of all we tried overclocking our Core 2 Duo E8500 sample without raising its Vcore. In this case the CPU ran stably at 3.66GHz frequency."
Leaving it on Auto will change the Vcore voltage to make it a stable OC.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 52
Quote:

HECK NO lol. 1.5v gives you about two weeks life of your chip. Most people can hit 4GHz on 1.3625v, which is it's *proven* safe max. There's a serious credibility issue with that guy who said 1.5v lol. I did a suicide run and got to 4.4 with 1.48v... Stay safe under 1.3625, and you should hit a bare minimum of 3.6GHz
post #7 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
BaBaBooey BaBaBooey

Liked: 566
Quote:
Alas though, I live in FL and summer has already begun for us so I undid my OC, but it will return once it the weather chills out again.

Agreed, 1.36 is max Id put on that chip... Search E8400 @ 1.5 and you will see...

@bionic
C'mon, you dont have AC? Im in south Fl too, my room temp is 70F, my pc ambient sits at 25-30c...

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #8 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:

I had mine stable during winter at 3.6 with an 8x multi and 400 fsb setting at 1.225v. the only other volts I changed were for the ram as they are rated to run at 2.2v with 4-4-4-12 timings. Alas though, I live in FL and summer has already begun for us so I undid my OC, but it will return once the weather chills out again.
I second that btw, great post!
post #9 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 12:57 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by G|F.E.A.D|Killa View Post
there was only one person that killed it by taking it above 1.4 and that was tricky. he didnt know what he was doing. i have had mine clear up to 1.53 set in bios for hours benching and had no problems. so dont be afraid to push the chip alittle
Bear in mind this is his friend's processor he is overclocking not his. Alas, people will always do what they want so if you feel the need to juice it then go for it, but i would recommend keeping it as low as possible so you don't have to buy a new one for him.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-25-2008, 12:58 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:

Oh and just to point out, that was an initial pre-release review of Engineering Sample chips and nobody really knew the voltage specs or if they'd burn out over 1.3625v. Here's the link:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAPL

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page