Dual core or regular - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am looking at getting a pentium d 820 or a pentium 640, which will play games like-bf2,ut,hl2,css? Which will be better overclocker? I want one that will play fine b4 oc, and play better after. Also, what are the temps on the machine, i dont want to burn it out? Please help me. Respond fast please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 12:31 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelOrAmd
I am looking at getting a pentium d 820 or a pentium 640, which will play games like-bf2,ut,hl2,css? Which will be better overclocker? I want one that will play fine b4 oc, and play better after. Also, what are the temps on the machine, i dont want to burn it out? Please help me. Respond fast please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The 640 will give you a very nice OC and handle all those games with ease. The only game that you have there that is written for dual core is BF2. If it were me, I'd go with the 640. It's a lot cheaper too.

post #3 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 12:34 PM
1.7ghz

Also, I'm not sure on the temps because I dont have either of those CPU's, but you should be fine as long as you lose the stock cooler and get like a big typhoon (works great for me), XP-90 or XP-120.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Fold for team 37726

Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmulan
The 640 will give you a very nice OC and handle all those games with ease. The only game that you have there that is written for dual core is BF2. If it were me, I'd go with the 640. It's a lot cheaper too.
I agree. As far as bang for the buck goes, the 600 series is solid for Intel processors. In the future when dual cores have more software support, the balance will likely tip their way.

Help us help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, the For Sale / Wanted Section Rules, the Online Deals Guidelines, and the Appraisal Forum Rules. Also, list your system specs in your User CP.
If you PM me - Please use a descriptive subject and be patient. I get A LOT of PMs, and there's only so much time in the day to reply to them all.
Helpful tips - Be sure to visit the Site News forum frequently and read announcements and stickies. If you don't keep up with these, you WILL miss out on important info.
Useful links - Overclock.net Professionalism Initiative, Folding FAQ, and Downloads...
post #5 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Taeric Does your processor stay cool at that oveclock, and shuld i get a 3.2 oc it and put more money in ram and vid card? Also does your comp run games fine w/o the oc?

post #6 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 12:52 PM
1.7ghz

I know you didn't ask me, but I would get the 640 and OC it, then yes, spend the extra money on RAM or the graphics card.

EDIT: What are you looking at in terms of RAM and a video card?

post #7 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Ummm not sure about ram, but am looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121192 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16814121190R
was hoping on like 200 american or less, any suggestins would be helpful though

post #8 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Fold for team 37726

Liked: 531
My 3.2 is a S478, so it'll be a bit different than the one you're looking at (yours will be a 775 with 2 MB L2...a nicer CPU than mine). Anyway, yes, mine does rather nicely. In the heat of summer, the CPU stayed around 54°C under load; with the cooler ambient temps now, I'm seeing 42-44°C load temps typically. I have played fairly intensive games such as Doom 3 and Far Cry on high settings on my rig (while folding in the background) and have been pleased with the results. Last time I checked 3.2s were right around the price break (small increase over 3.0s and big jump up to 3.4s, though that point moves over time, of course).

If you're looking to game hard, your best bet is to match your CPU, RAM, and GPU so that they all perform roughly at the same level. I would suggest making a realistic budget then diving it appropriately among the various components you're considering. Work out a few different scenarios and figure out which is best for your uses (feel free to post to get some suggestions if you want/need them).

Help us help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, the For Sale / Wanted Section Rules, the Online Deals Guidelines, and the Appraisal Forum Rules. Also, list your system specs in your User CP.
If you PM me - Please use a descriptive subject and be patient. I get A LOT of PMs, and there's only so much time in the day to reply to them all.
Helpful tips - Be sure to visit the Site News forum frequently and read announcements and stickies. If you don't keep up with these, you WILL miss out on important info.
Useful links - Overclock.net Professionalism Initiative, Folding FAQ, and Downloads...
post #9 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Security Sleuth

Liked: 90
Amd 3800+

10 years of overclocking!
post #10 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 01:16 PM
1.7ghz