What would you expect to see? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am trying to OC my new systems which is a Mach Motherboard P4M800 and a Celeron D 340. The motherboard came with Warp Speed software which I have tried but my system becomes unstable after only increasin 10MHz.

My RAM is two 512MB old PC2100 and do not match, however this motherboard does nto seem to provide the option for Dual Channel anyway.

Should I be getting further with this setup? In the BIOS I can adjust my VCore voltage and my DDR from 133 to 166. Should I start there by bumping the DDR? My options for the Vcore are "Regular, +0.05, +0.10 and +0.15". Shoudl I try with only one 512MB stick to see if it is more stable? I don't see anywhere I can mess with the RAM timing in the BIOS.

Using the software, my system drops when I hit 143MHz (i.e 3.2GHZ on a 2.93GHz Celeron 340 D).

I've read a few posts where people have got this chip over 4GHz. Can I assume you would have to have a MOBO with Dual Channel capability to get anywhere's close to that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Fold for team 37726

Liked: 531
Welcome to the site.

Please take a few minutes to fill in your system specs by going to the User CP that's linked near the top left corner of every page. Knowing your full system will help us help you better.

I would strongly suggest you work in the BIOS as much as possible. Dual channel RAM will help performance a bit, but it won't affect overclocking potential directly.

If you desire to bump your RAM from 133 to 166 Mhz, you'll almost certainly have to up your vdimm (RAM voltage) and loosen your timings (which sounds like it may not be an option in your BIOS). My suggestion would be to leave the RAM as it is, bump the vdimm a notch or two, and stick with upping the external clock as it will overclock both your RAM and CPU. Also, check for a PCI/AGP lock in your BIOS. Ideal frequencies are 33.3/66.7 MHz.

Help us help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, the For Sale / Wanted Section Rules, the Online Deals Guidelines, and the Appraisal Forum Rules. Also, list your system specs in your User CP.
If you PM me - Please use a descriptive subject and be patient. I get A LOT of PMs, and there's only so much time in the day to reply to them all.
Helpful tips - Be sure to visit the Site News forum frequently and read announcements and stickies. If you don't keep up with these, you WILL miss out on important info.
Useful links - Overclock.net Professionalism Initiative, Folding FAQ, and Downloads...

25 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3 of 4 Old 12-13-2005, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
Taeric, thanks for the tip on teh profile. Much easier than describing the system.

What do you mean when you say "uping the external clock"? In the BIOS? I am not sure if I saw any place to do this. Could it be called something else?

I'll take a closer look for RAM timing also.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Fold for team 37726

Liked: 531
The external clock is the main "timer" that most everything runs off of. In a BIOS, it may be refereed to as CPU frequency, clock speed, or some variation of those. The important thing to remember is that CPU and RAM both run off of that, i.e. if you up it 10%, both the CPU and RAM go up by 10%. The stock for your system is 133 MHz. To figure out your CPU speed, you multiply by 22 for your processor (not surprisingly, the 22 is the multiplier). The RAM runs at 2 times the clock speed (due to DDR architecture). If you find that your RAM is limiting you, you may be able to run it at a divider. This is usually accomplished by a ratio of CPU:RAM (1:1, 3:2, etc.) or by setting the RAM to a certain speed (yours would be set to 133, DDR266, or PC2100...you could lower that to 100/DDR200/PC1600 if need be).

Those are just a few ideas. Check out the excellent overclocking guide pinned in the Intel General section. It has a wealth of useful information.

Help us help you! Read and understand the Terms of Service, the For Sale / Wanted Section Rules, the Online Deals Guidelines, and the Appraisal Forum Rules. Also, list your system specs in your User CP.
If you PM me - Please use a descriptive subject and be patient. I get A LOT of PMs, and there's only so much time in the day to reply to them all.
Helpful tips - Be sure to visit the Site News forum frequently and read announcements and stickies. If you don't keep up with these, you WILL miss out on important info.
Useful links - Overclock.net Professionalism Initiative, Folding FAQ, and Downloads...

25 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page