[Official] The Sandy Stable Club **Guides, Voltages, Temps & BIOS Templates** Inc SPREADSHEET - Page 425 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #4241 of 10702 Old 09-28-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
-Power is YOU-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by SightUp;15107322 
So I am stress testing again because I got a new motherboard. How bad is it for the CPU to stress test P95? How many 24 hour runs is the max you should do?

Well, my advice is not to go OCD with P95, once is enough. It's not a matter of finding stability but a matter of finding instability. The program won't tell you whether or not it's stable, the duration of the test determine's that.

IMHO 12hours with 90% of your avilable RAM is more than enough even for those that fold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4242 of 10702 Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 29
Is there any reason performance wise, other than the inherent sleep issue, to keep PPL OV disabled? In other words, will it hurt FPS performance or is it a cheat of some kind that only fakes performance by keeping it enabled?

post #4243 of 10702 Old 09-29-2011, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
-Power is YOU-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SightUp;15107947 
Is there any reason performance wise, other than the inherent sleep issue, to keep PPL OV disabled? In other words, will it hurt FPS performance or is it a cheat of some kind that only fakes performance by keeping it enabled?

Not really no, it's just to help those particular high multi's to boot. Not sure how it does it or what the full explanation is. All I know is that it's required for certain multipliers.

Thread milestone

200k+ views!!!!! 9th Most viewed thread in the Intel CPU section and also 3rd most replied thread!! Wow!!!

wheee.gifwheee.gifwheee.gifwheee.gifwheee.gifwheee.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4244 of 10702 Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Hawaiian Waterman

Liked: 15
Quote:
Thread milestone

200k+ views!!!!! 9th Most viewed thread in the Intel CPU section and also 3rd most replied thread!! Wow!!!

Awesome congrats.
post #4245 of 10702 Old 09-29-2011, 03:42 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 4
EDIT: Hold the phone on this entry please. Decided to bump it up to 4.8, currently running another blend. I also realize my submission would not be allowed based on the fact I didn't include my OC Club name in the screenshot. I'll be sure to rectify that this time though.

Being new I'm assuming we enter submissions here?

oc.png

oc2.png

2nd Pic was taken after test was finished because I realized after the fact that i didn't have the CPUID windows open to the proper tabs. Rig is in my Sig.

FWIW I learned to ensure the ceiling fan in the room you are running this test on should always be on....I turned it on shortly into my test and my temps never again got above 68F. I might push this up to 4.8, but I doubt I will run another 12hr Prime95.

All in all I'd say not bad for my first OC. Goal was 4.5GHz, when my chip laughed at that I gave it a little more love.
post #4246 of 10702 Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 AM
Amiga 500

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1;15103068 
Wow. Just checked, it's the 9th most viewed thread in the intel CPU section and the 3rd with the most replies. DAAAAAAMN wheee.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1;15109675 
Thread milestone

Bravo ! Congratz to you! thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1;15103068 
Looks good, however a bit low on the vcore side I think. You can increase the Cpu Current capability to 140%, don't wrorry about it being red, we are overclocking and it's fine.

Asus 1155 mobo's like low PLL, 1.7v is a good start, you could probably eventually reduce to around 1.6 or like mine to around 1.55v and keep stability. Regarding VCCIO, 1.1v is a nice bump, however shoudn' be needed unless you're overclocking the memory, somtimes increasing that can actually cause instability rather than stability. I would recommend leaving it on auto for now, the rest looks good. One last thing, enable Spread Spectrum, it should only be disabled when your messing aroudn with the BCLK or if the BCLK is running at 99.8.

Hope that helps thumb.gif

Yes I meant PLL, not VLL... doh.gif I'll edit that. biggrin.gif OK so:

- Regarding CPU current capability, are you sure that increasing it like hell augments stability? I often monitor the wattage in RealTemp, and it's always between ~89 and ~105w under full stress in Prime95 (custom 1344, 1792 or blend), so I thought giving it more would be useless?

- As for CPU Spread Spectrum, it is here to reduce interferences with wave propagation like cell phones, Radio... I don't have a GSM in my house, nor a radio so I don't care at all,I think disabling it indeed helps a little for stability. Why do you recommend enabling it? I mean what concrete technical help is it supposed to provide by leaving it enabled?

- Regarding PLL, I had set it to 1.65V before it crashes, that's why I increased it to 1.7. So do you think I should leave it to 1.7? Or maybe would it be better to increase it or set it to Auto for starters?

- As for VCCIO I didn't know about this, thanks a lot, nice piece of info indeed. I'll set it to Auto as you recommended. thumb.gif
post #4247 of 10702 Old 09-29-2011, 06:34 AM
333mhz

Liked: 2
Congrats on the thread munaim1

Now that it's warmed up a bit my temps aren't as ridiculously low as the chart. Just leave it as is though
post #4248 of 10702 Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 35
I folded for 36 hours at 4GHz so I'm assuming it's stable. Around 1.28v but 60C. Seems warm =/

post #4249 of 10702 Old 09-29-2011, 07:38 AM
Amiga 500

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhotic View Post
I folded for 36 hours at 4GHz so I'm assuming it's stable. Around 1.28v but 60C. Seems warm =/
60°C is not warm at all for 1.28V with your cooler. With any cooler even, except with some expensive WC custom loop.
post #4250 of 10702 Old 09-29-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
-Power is YOU-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbot View Post
A bit reluctant to press that link, especially when your ocn name has 'bot' in it

If it's a screenshot please use OCN's posting method to add it as an attachment. Hit the Go advanced button next to 'quick reply'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovuel View Post
EDIT: Hold the phone on this entry please. Decided to bump it up to 4.8, currently running another blend. I also realize my submission would not be allowed based on the fact I didn't include my OC Club name in the screenshot. I'll be sure to rectify that this time though.
Thanks bud, overclock, however, is looking damn good, especially those voltages!!! keep it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoat View Post
Bravo ! Congratz to you!

Thanks bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoat View Post
Yes I meant PLL, not VLL... I'll edit that. OK so:

- Regarding CPU current capability, are you sure that increasing it like hell augments stability? I often monitor the wattage in RealTemp, and it's always between ~89 and ~105w under full stress in Prime95 (custom 1344, 1792 or blend), so I thought giving it more would be useless?

- As for CPU Spread Spectrum, it is here to reduce interferences with wave propagation like cell phones, Radio... I don't have a GSM in my house, nor a radio so I don't care at all,I think disabling it indeed helps a little for stability. Why do you recommend enabling it? I mean what concrete technical help is it supposed to provide by leaving it enabled?

- Regarding PLL, I had set it to 1.65V before it crashes, that's why I increased it to 1.7. So do you think I should leave it to 1.7? Or maybe would it be better to increase it or set it to Auto for starters?

- As for VCCIO I didn't know about this, thanks a lot, nice piece of info indeed. I'll set it to Auto as you recommended.

CPU current capability is a mobo feature that eliminates any restrictions when overclocking, sort of like the turbo limits that you see in asrock and MSI mobo's. It allows the total power current to be delivered to the cpu when/if required. It's completely safe as your overclocking and this is one of those little safety features implemented in the mobo.

As you said, Spread Spectrum helps against interferences and such , and because it doesn't effect stability it shouldn't be disabled. I believe some have reported that it helps stabalise the voltage and prevent voltage fluctuations. Head over to the Asus P67 mobo thread and ask twocables, he was the one that bought it to my attention. C1E and Speedstep has already shown that it doesn't affect stability, with Sandybridge everything changed and that means that the safety featuers and things that use to get disabled doesn't really make any adverse effect on overclocking or the stability.

One more things to add, when tweaking BCLK or if it reads 99.8 etc, it should be disabled asI have foudn that it brings better stability when your messing around with the bclk it also helps those that hshow a bus speed of 99.8 in windows.

PLL at 1.65v shouldn't make it crash, but work your way up from 1.5v, as not all chips are the same. I foudn my overclock to be stable at 1.7v, however further testing I was able to drop the PLL further to 1.55v and still maintain stability. I advise doing the same and ee where you get to. PLL voltage for me, as reduced the load temsp by a 3/4c, maybe ambient temsp helped aswell but im pretty sure it was the PLL voltage.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhotic View Post
60c while folding is really good!!! Nothing to worry about there, you have headroom further if you want.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page