Building a new gaming rig! Need Advice Plz - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 17 Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Also, didnt want to start a new thread but thought id ask, i have a linksys wireless router and the the wireless dropps out after about 1 hour of inactivity. I have to power cycle router to fix it. This is a very common problem and i have yet to find a solution.
Its a linksys cicso wrt54g2 v1 with latest firmware updated. Router worked fine until i moved out of state and got a new isp. Can i assume its a
Configuration issue? Should i try an older firmware version?
Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 01-23-2012, 02:23 AM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 69
Have you tried looking around in the web configuration of your router? Mine has a setting to shut down after x minutes, and I disabled that.

I found it under Network Settings --> Wireless --> Scheduling
I have never had a Linksys router though.

Time is the best teacher, but it kills its students
post #13 of 17 Old 01-23-2012, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Yea i have looked in the routers config but nothing that obvious. Have spent a couple hours on google trying to find a solution to no avail also. Lots of things in the config are abbreviated also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Well I dont want to jump the gun, ill wait till the end of the day to know for sure but I believe I solved my wireless dropout issue.

Now this may have been the extreme way to go about it, but I firmly believe (pun intended) it had something to do with my routers firmware + ISP causing the problem. When I first bought the router, wireless did not originally work in Oregon (comcast), so I updated firmware, this solved the wireless issue.

However I just recently moved back to missouri (charter) and now I am getting dropouts so I called both linksys and charter to no avail as I found out on google most of you share.
Again, the issue was getting wireless dropouts with my cicso linksys router WRT45G2 v1.0 to both an iphone and PS3, while wired computer stayed online just fine.
The iphone would connect after 3 or 4 retries (couple of minutes), but the ps3 would always have to have its network connections reset, or do a power reset on the router.
Got tired of pulling the power plug out and back in every couple of hours and having to reset both devices,
So, this is what i did;

This process has to deal with DD-WRT http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index Its a third party router software for those of you who dont know.
I downloaded and installed the latest version of TFTP from their website, and then downloaded the 3 ".bin" files associated with my specific router when i did a specific search for its model # on their website.
I then changed the ip of the wired pc to 1.92.168.1.8 and DNS to 255.255.255.0, then uploaded the files in the instructed order using the tftp software.

Make sure you follow the instructions closely because if you screw up, you could end up with nothing but a paper weight. - This page helps a lot to read first - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ

You have to manually reset this particulars router power to get it to reset, and
It was a little finicky on setting up the password at first, i had to make sure username and password were simple for router setup login page, but allowed me to set a difficult password for wireless network.
Also instead of linksys's or cisco's setup page, this firmware is much more thorough and explains what you are looking at instead of the options being abbreviated. Easier to read to put it simply.

Hope this info helps.

post #15 of 17 Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Ok, so with digitronicals help last night we put together my pc.
Fired up first try like a champ, although I am having a small issue with the bios not fitting to screen. I have the PC plugged into my 32 inch samsung TV right now, so I will try a monitor in a bit and get back to you guys, however my second issue is trying to get my PS3 bluetooth earpiece to get picked up by the bluetooth on my asus motherboard. It has a bluetooth driver but does not seem to detect it.
Is there a way to fix this?
Thanks in advance.

BTW, at stock settings so far i got a 250 FPS score in lost coast and a 24,000 score in 3dmark06

post #16 of 17 Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 PM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 69
Check the Asus website for possible BIOS updates, if there are any updates I'd check them out on google to see if there have been any major issues with them. I have no experience with the newer asus motherboards, I'm still running a M2N, lol...
On a second note; congratz on the new rig thumb.gif

Time is the best teacher, but it kills its students
post #17 of 17 Old 01-25-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Thanks, did that, but got it working by simply making sure the ps3 headset was actually in "discovery mode" instead of just on, which is done by holding down ps3 headset button for over 5 seconds until green and red alternately flash. i had never done that before for ps3, finally found it on google. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page