Finally! I'm done my finals and I've saved up enough dough to jump off this 775 platform (a two core cpu to boot!). I've delayed my upgrade as long as possible. I haven't been really up to date with Ivy but I've been reading bits and peices of it's mediocre improvement over Sandy Bridge. I'm sure this section gets over 9000 threads on individual builds so I'll put a tl;dr at the bottom of this.
At one point I was just going to grab an Intel SSD, 2500K, and a Z68 board but I decided to wait for Ivy.
Things I do:
Gaming (not too hardcore, I'm keeping my GTX470 for now)
Multitask HARDCORE. I only have 4gb of ram right now and I'm always at 95+% ram usage and 100% swap usage. My CPU also likes to hover around 80 -100%.
I'm definitely going to grab 16gb of ram and most likely pick up an SSD.
My biggest question is:
- I need a motherboard, CPU, ram, and an SSD within the next month
- I will only overclock moderately on air
(Something like a coolermatser hyper or at best, a Noctua D14 as I want a silent computer)
- I'm coming from a dual core 775
- This will hopefully last me atleast 3-4 years
- I do cpu intensive tasks once in a while such has Lightroom and Photoshop
- I live in Canada
What should I get?