Critique This - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-08-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Fried an old, old Dell P4; so I decided to build a new system in the same full tower case. The case is an Ultra - don't know model number or dimensions. It has plenty of bays.

First decision was the CPU. I chose the Core i5 3570k which I hope to purchase locally tomorrow. I doubt that I'll ever challenge this processor because I don't game and usually just surf, email, and use Office. I DO want to do some conversion of old VHS graphics to digital and write to DVD. Not sure if the native graphics will handle it, but I have an EVGA GeForce 9500T (1GB) card that I can pop in if need be.

Shopping mobos, I finally arrived at the ECS Z77 H2-A3 ATX (LGA 1155) based on price point and features. Got lots of USB 2.0 and 3.0. The mobo arrived from Newegg this week.

I have 6 sticks of Kingston 1333 DDR3 RAM - 2 too many.

I bought a Corsair 750 W PSU because the old one fried with the mobo when the utility company was repairing a neighborhood power outage. Yes! I've tested it with a tester and with a multimeter.

The rest of the components were in the aftermarket case with the old P4. A couple of years ago I got very tired of noise produced by the Dell case and fans and bought the Ultra and moved everything over. i bought fans from CoolerGuys.

The HDDs are WDs, SATA., 1TB and 500GB plus some externals that I use for backups and archiving.

I was running XP Pro SP3 but bought Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit with 3 licenses in case I buy newer machines. I have a small Dell and an HP laptop that is currently not working.

I think I've covered everything but the cooling. I understand that the CPU will come with a fan that many say is inadequate. I'm trying to educate myself about cooling alternatives. I've set a budget cap at $60.

As you can see by the re-used components, I'm trying to do this a inexpensively as possible. I'm retired with fixed income.

For now, about the only thing I can change is the cooling. Have to save a bit of coin before replacing other components. Some time in the future I want to snag a full tower with better cable management but that can wait for now..

I'd be grateful for your comments and suggestions.

Vetustior humo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Programmer

Liked: 1
Just use the cooling fan that comes with the processor. It's enough for you unless you want to overclock your system, which it sound like you aren't going to do. Also, on that point, you might want to consider going with the i5-3550 to save yourself some cash - it's just as good as the 3570k, except you can't overclock it.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-09-2012, 10:31 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 176
The biggest bang for your buck is a SSD. A few years ago SSD's were not very reliable, and very pricey. Today, you can get a 120Gb SSD that is just as reliable as any HDD for around $90. The difference is like day and night. It is something you should consider. Use your 1Tb for media, and your SSD for your OS and program you use daily.

You have a good power supply, a good processor, a good mobo, a good GPU (for what you want to do with it), good ram, and a good HDD. No complains here.

That's my 2 cents...

On the other thread that you started, I recommended a good cooler for $40, and linked to a good article reviewing other cheap coolers.

thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 0
Thank you both for your replies. I lack the experience, knowledge and familiarity with components and that reduces my confidence in those choices.

I'm still shopping coolers, but I think I'm going to do as Chris suggested and just use the fan that comes with the CPU. I bought it today at Fry's. I'm disappointed because I could have gotten online for less and not had to drive 150 miles round trip. The only thing that I got there that I've not seen anywhere else is clips and straps for managing the octopus that lives inside my PSU.

SSD is on my wish list. Maybe next Spring.

Thanks again!!!!!

Vetustior humo

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page