Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwareDecoder View Post

so its 182 watts or more apparently for the card you have. out of a 360W power supply. with 80% efficiency that leaves you not that much for overhead + the rest of the system dude.

There's nothing to argue about. You are assuming I dont know or monitor my powerconsumption or tweak voltages just right. Please see my signature for more information. Moreover, even if my psu were at fault, it's extremely unlikely I would be experiencing what I do interms of the sequence of events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 64
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenEleven View Post

I appreciate your concern about wattage, but it is not correct. I unfortunately can't test the cpu at home, but maybe I can get it tested somewhere tomorrow.
Could it be a part of the motherboard going bad, not necessarily the whole thing? Why would it all die if I discharged, say, one capacitor?

so its 182 watts or more apparently for the card you have. out of a 360W power supply. with 80% efficiency that leaves you not that much for overhead + the rest of the system dude so that psu has been working like an old mule. Also to your question about shocking one part of a mobo why would it not work shows you don't know that much about electronics rolleyes.gif

He asked for help, not a lecture. The proper way to procede would be to post this:

"I believe you may not have sufficient wattage. Can I ask you to remove your GPU and see if the system powers up without it?"

Really... the person needs help, not you to be rude.
Quote:

Yup, all correct. They are difficult to mix up with my particular case and motherboard.

1. Can I ask you to remove your GPU from your rig, just as a diagnostic step? The fewer parts in play, the less total amount of variables we have. Since your fans aren't spining up anyway, you can remove it until they start spinning up.
post #23 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 142
Oh well good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

....no it has nothing to do with my gpu. It's like no one's reading my first post and the description of events in following posts and just latching on to my psu.
post #25 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Overclocker in Training

Quote:

....no it has nothing to do with my gpu. It's like no one's reading my first post and the description of events in following posts and just latching on to my psu.

Have you tried reseating your RAM? Just put one stick in, if it doesn't work, switch it out for the other.
Quote:

Oh well good luck

I'm sorry for being short with you. I'm not in a great mood and it was wrong of me to be rude.
post #26 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 142
Quote:

yup I did latch on to your psu because i've never heard of anyone running a system like that with a 360 W PSU (nvidia states 500W as a very minimum). I guess that lets me know I will be fine going SLI on my current PSU if your psu turns out to not be at fault.

Sorry if I was rude, but if you shocked one part of an electronic device, atleast that specific part would possibly die, rendering the whole thing useless. Like if you shocked a mosfet, that mosfet is now needing to be replaced rendering the whole mobo non functional likely..

Now in your first post you said you changed the heatsink, did you possibly bend a socket pin somehow? or get TIM in the socket or on the under side of the chip?

post #27 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

post #28 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM
post #29 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Liked: 85
I see two potential problems here:
Either your psu got overloaded ( or overstressed when you turned your pc on after rebuilding) and fried your motherboard or you fried your motherboard with static electricity.

Other possible problems:
-any extra standoffs touching motherboard circuitry
-All ram sticks properly seated in each slot
-4 or 8 pin cpu power cable not connected

Is your power supply toggle switch in the "on" position?

post #30 of 35 Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Overclocker in Training

Quote:

Thank you, all good now - reseated the RAM and went through all connections one by one.

thumb.gif

When something is wrong, it helps to redo some basic things. When something is wrong, you can't safely assume anything wtihout good reason for the assumption.

Just like when nVidia told me to just reinstall my GPU drivers. They were right, I was wrong.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page