First build in 7 years: Looking for feedback on Overclocking and Graphics Cards. - Page 5 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #41 of 50 Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM
YouTuber with over 10m+ views

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Forceman - my experience with SUM input and error checking is this one:
Without it, my RAM would pass without problems
With it, my RAM would fail within minutes.

Why?
Because I actually had a bad RAM DIMM - when RMA'ed the company did a memtest on it and found and replaced the ram within a day.
If it wasn't for SUM and Error checking on P95, then I would have NEVER known it was the ram.
(I did an 11hr memtest and it passed - but yet on the company's PC, it failed within minutes -> this is what the technician said to me over the phone)

So if you are getting rounding errors, and normally the: 0.5 expected 0.4 gotten -> that is due to RAM (be it actually faulty ram, or bad settings)
As for that error you are getting....that would mean a bad OC - you shouldn't be getting a SINGLE worker stopping, even with those settings on.

As for the OP: wgstrick
-IBT to determine QUICKLY if you are on track with an OC.
-8-12hr prime if you want to determine stability
-24hr p95 to determine close to perfect stability
-Folding for over 8hrs to determine maximum stability (this one I recently discovered lol - I've been stable with a 24hr prime, yet my folding made me BSOD tongue.gif)

Chimp Challenge Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Doctor Manhattan

Liked: 421
TJ Max is 105. People worry too much about Ivy Bridge temps.

post #43 of 50 Old 01-29-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG StroOnZ View Post

TJ Max is 105. People worry too much about Ivy Bridge temps.

True, but you don't want to be realistically going over 95c.
10c is more than enough for being too close for comfort.

More so, the lower the temps the better for your chip life, your fans (being on a slower RPM) and also your case temps.
People worry about the max temp, simply because 100c is the boiling point for water - so one thinks how HOT that CPU is...it's actually crazy.
I should fry an egg on it tongue.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant  3 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 50 Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 PM

Liked: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

Forceman - my experience with SUM input and error checking is this one:
Without it, my RAM would pass without problems
With it, my RAM would fail within minutes.

I haven't done any extensive testing myself, although I have gotten both worker fails and rounding errors without checking those options, so they aren't required (even if they might be helpful). The readme doesn't say much about them except:
Quote:
You should not need to use the Advanced menu. This menu choice is provided only for those who are curious.

and
Quote:
SUM(INPUTS) error checking. Selecting this option will run an extra error check on every iteration. This will slow down the primality test slightly.

Round off checking. This option will slow the program down by several percent. This option displays the smallest and largest "convolution error". The
convolution error must be less than 0.49 or the results will be incorrect. There really is no good reason to turn this option on

I'm going to make another push for 5.0 soon, so I'll play around with it then.

Forceman's Law: Any AMD/Nvidia GPU thread, no matter what the topic, will eventually include a post referencing the GTX 970.
post #45 of 50 Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forceman View Post

I haven't done any extensive testing myself, although I have gotten both worker fails and rounding errors without checking those options, so they aren't required (even if they might be helpful). The readme doesn't say much about them except:
and
I'm going to make another push for 5.0 soon, so I'll play around with it then.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards/2410#post_19170004

There's an explanation from Swag.
Basically as I would have thought - something RAM related -> IMC in that respect.

All I know is that it helped me pin down RAM errors.
If you are getting errors, then something would lead to instability.
Maybe you won't notice it at ALL - as your PC will rarely ever get pushed THAT hard - but let me put it this way:
Via folding, I got a BSOD, when on P95, for over 24hrs, had NO ERRORS.

P95, IBT, AIDA64 etc, are great stress testers, and if you can pass them for say 12hrs (on p95) then you are pretty much 98% stable - but for that 100%, which is very hard to achieve, you ought to fold tongue.gif
Oh god...I'm addicted to folding now....soon that de-lid will be calling...LOL

EDIT:
Here's why it should be on:
http://www.overclock.net/t/137251/prime95/60#post_10704737

Basically, if you want it to be more thorough. In my case, I wanted it to be, as it found RAM errors smile.gif

post #46 of 50 Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 PM

But it still stops the worker on a rounding error (the rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 error) even with it not selected. Or at least it did, unless they changed the default behavior in the last year or so.

Forceman's Law: Any AMD/Nvidia GPU thread, no matter what the topic, will eventually include a post referencing the GTX 970.
post #47 of 50 Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 AM

Quote:

But it still stops the worker on a rounding error (the rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4 error) even with it not selected. Or at least it did, unless they changed the default behavior in the last year or so.

But isn't that a good thing?
If it stops the worker, if there is a problem.
Why would P95 need to run, or have to run on one worker, if it failed somehow.

So instead of constantly running, it stops it basically right?

post #48 of 50 Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

But isn't that a good thing?
If it stops the worker, if there is a problem.
Why would P95 need to run, or have to run on one worker, if it failed somehow.

So instead of constantly running, it stops it basically right?

Not sure what you mean. If it gets a rounding error it stops the worker, which would be a good thing, yes. I should have quoted the original post in that comment - I think I was responding to something from a previous page and it just ended up under your post.

I asked over at Mersenne Forum and, according to the programmer, they are both enabled automatically for the torture test. So no need to manually enable them.

http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=17718

post #49 of 50 Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Not sure what you mean. If it gets a rounding error it stops the worker, which would be a good thing, yes. I should have quoted the original post in that comment - I think I was responding to something from a previous page and it just ended up under your post.

I asked over at Mersenne Forum and, according to the programmer, they are both enabled automatically for the torture test. So no need to manually enable them.

http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=17718

Interesting - however does that apply for a CUSTOM blend too?
I know that's a torture test but....for some reason the errors wouldn't come up without those checked.
Literally, I passed 24hr prime without them checked, then failed within 2 mins with them checked. I did have a hardware error (not software/oc etc)

post #50 of 50 Old 01-30-2013, 04:12 PM

I don't know. They are part of the torture test function, so I would assume so, but you might want to ask over there - they answered me back right away.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page