Need help before computer disassembly - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sorry if this is the wrong section as I couldn't really find out where to put this.

I am looking for an article or something explaining to me what I should do before disassembling my computer and selling the parts. I am moving the 3570k over to my new build along with the SSD and HDD. Everything else(MoBo, GPU, PSU, and ram) are all gone. I know I don't need to do anything with the PSU obviously. What about the MoBo, GPU or ram? I will be selling this stuff and want to give someone a good product and protect my personal information. Thanks for any help, much appreciated!

I would also like to wipe my SSD and HDD. I have everything saved that I need elsewhere. If someone could link me to an article explaining what to do and how to be safe when selling computer parts that would be great.

-Hegro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegro View Post

Sorry if this is the wrong section as I couldn't really find out where to put this.

I am looking for an article or something explaining to me what I should do before disassembling my computer and selling the parts. I am moving the 3570k over to my new build along with the SSD and HDD. Everything else(MoBo, GPU, PSU, and ram) are all gone. I know I don't need to do anything with the PSU obviously. What about the MoBo, GPU or ram? I will be selling this stuff and want to give someone a good product and protect my personal information. Thanks for any help, much appreciated!

I would also like to wipe my SSD and HDD. I have everything saved that I need elsewhere. If someone could link me to an article explaining what to do and how to be safe when selling computer parts that would be great.

-Hegro

I'm confused.  At first you say that you're keeping your Solid State and Hard drives, but then at the end you're asking about wiping them because you're selling them.  Are you keeping them or selling them?

Also, the only thing you can do with the motherboard, video card and memory is just reset the motherboard back to its factory condition in the BIOS.  There is no personal information to protect, but I think they would enjoy starting with a clean slate.  So I think what you should (and can) do is clear the CMOS.  You could just load the optimized defaults, but clearing the CMOS might delete any saved profiles that you may have created.  So of course, if you did not create any BIOS profiles, then just load the optimized defaults and it will be good to go.

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #3 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I am wiping them and also keeping them for a new build. Worded that weird and out of order. wheee.gif

GPU, MoBo, and Ram were what I was worried about. If the only thing I need to do is reset the default setting in the BIOS then that is great. Easy enough for me to do. Sorry though, what is the CMOS? I do not believe that I created any BIOS profiles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 22
He isn't going to sell the hard drive and ssd. He is just asking for an article on how to stay safe when selling computer parts, he just happened to have those two sentences in the same paragraph.

post #5 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM
333mhz

Liked: 3
Alright, what I'm getting is you want to move your 3570k, SSD, and HDD to a new computer. Ok so take those out. everything else, just take them out separately and sell em. easy as that. all your "info" is on your ssd and hdd which your keeping, when you put your new computer together, just reformat it and there ya go. and for the dis assembly, its not that hard. Just take out everything you want to sell. Usually when i sell something on craigslist i like to make a video of the computer hard ware working. I do this by getting a camera, turning it on, taking a video of myself turning the computer on, then bringing up a program called cpu z which tells all of your info of your computer, i then go into my internet browser and go to google, and i type in "time" which shows the current time and date. People like to see that it's recent. I then turn the camera to the actual case to make sure they hear the fans working and everything. After that I play a few games to show the gpu works. I also show the temperatures of everything in the video to let them know that everything works very well. Let me know if your confused I had a couple shots before I wrote this ;P
post #6 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6212
Quote:

Sorry, I am wiping them and also keeping them for a new build.

Then you don't really need to wipe them.

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #7 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM

Liked: 44
Yeah, not a lot to do for the motherboard - just take it out and put it in an anti-static bag. Clearing the CMOS is a good idea (remove the battery briefly / move the jumper briefly). If you have the original box / accessories, that might help for reselling.

For selling SSD / HDD, the first thing you want to do is completely format them with Disk Management (search start menu) to clean them up - formatting them as NTFS will save someone else trouble. When you do that, uncheck the box for "quick format" - you want the full thing.
If you have actually personal information on there that you are worried about, you need to use a more advanced utility that writes random data (or all 0's) over the disks. Googling should help you there!

Intel Expert Panel 

post #8 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Then you don't really need to wipe them.

Yeah but I don't want anything that is on either one of them. Just want a clean slate.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkoopa95 View Post

Alright, what I'm getting is you want to move your 3570k, SSD, and HDD to a new computer. Ok so take those out. everything else, just take them out separately and sell em. easy as that. all your "info" is on your ssd and hdd which your keeping, when you put your new computer together, just reformat it and there ya go. and for the dis assembly, its not that hard. Just take out everything you want to sell. Usually when i sell something on craigslist i like to make a video of the computer hard ware working. I do this by getting a camera, turning it on, taking a video of myself turning the computer on, then bringing up a program called cpu z which tells all of your info of your computer, i then go into my internet browser and go to google, and i type in "time" which shows the current time and date. People like to see that it's recent. I then turn the camera to the actual case to make sure they hear the fans working and everything. After that I play a few games to show the gpu works. I also show the temperatures of everything in the video to let them know that everything works very well. Let me know if your confused I had a couple shots before I wrote this ;P

I also like this idea. Thank you. Might be quite a bit easier to move stuff if I include this I would imagine.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM
333mhz

Liked: 3
Quote:

I also like this idea. Thank you. Might be quite a bit easier to move stuff if I include this I would imagine.

Yea you would be surprised how easy it is to sell some things on craigslist if you have the right things up in the ad, if people see it works, some nice photos they call right away. Its all about the ad, and you can match other peoples prices. I love craigslist hahaha

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page