Hot Xeon 3060? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
So I have been working with my new system all weekend and can get some promising looking OCs on it BUT the temps are brutual. It is not uncommon for me to see 60C-65C. At first I thought this might be an issue of air flow in the case but even with the side and front panel removed, hitting 60C happens way too easily.

So last night, I put the stock HSF in just so I could get a baseline on this cpu. With the stock HSF at stock speeds (266 x9) and a low vCore (1.27) with no side or front panel on the case it will idle at 40-42C and hit 60-62C at full load (orthos CPU stress test). With the Tuniq I was seeing around the same idle but the full load was 55-57C under the same conditions.

I have tried reseating the Tuniq (using AS5) twice now with no marked changed, maybe 1-2C initially but once things get warmed upped its all back to the same.

Applying the AS5 I have followed the direction on the website (a line down the center of the IHS "spliting" the cores) and just putting a "rice grain" sized in the center of the IHS. Nothing made a difference. I tighten the Tuniq down enough so that it doesn't move but I do not toruque it down super tight. I have made sure the fan in the Tuniq is pushing air out of the case toward the exhaust fan on the rear. I have even replaced the exhaust fan with a better one.

Suggestions?

Michael

Check out my Wolf in Sheep's clothing build log

New build log BlackBox aka Nagal's folly as it was never finished

Duct Tape Fan Shroud Representing the Ghetto Mod Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo go_quote.gif
Like terrorists/hackers/ninjas are sitting around waiting for the news to tell them what to do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-18-2006, 10:18 AM
born to folk

Liked: 298
What are you measuring your temps with?

By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-18-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

Using TAT and CoreTemp. For the most part they are the same sometimes CoreTemp is 1-2C cooler.

SpeedFan is running but shows CPU about 10C cooler.

On a side note, I am running XP x64 but I dont thinl that would cause a problem with temp readings.

Ambient is around 70-74F in my room.

Michael

Quote:
Like terrorists/hackers/ninjas are sitting around waiting for the news to tell them what to do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-20-2006, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
3.5ghz

Seems like things are working out now. I reseated the Tuniq again and used a BB sized drop of AS5 dead center of the IHS.

I am getting low-mid 30s C on idle with stock settings. No chance to overclock will start trying that tonight.

Air flow in my case seems to be a major issue and needs some more looking at. I easily get a 4-6C jump once I put the side panel has been on for a couple minutes during full load.

Still lots to tweak but its getting more inline with what people are reporting here

Michael

Quote:

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page