Building a Home-Theater Gaming PC - any suggestions for my build? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-23-2016, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So my girlfriend has been bugging me to pitch in to buy a PS4 with her to share at her place. I agreed but also pitched her the idea of an HTPC instead. As soon as I mentioned I'd install all the Sims games for her, I had her swayed. She's going to pitch in $300 and I don't want to put much more than $450 myself.A few months ago I upgraded to an X99 build with a 5820k in my desktop. I'm very satisfied with X99, but this time, I think I want to try a Skylake build, because I think it offers better performance per dollar for more budgeted PC's. Here's what I've put together really quickly, with reasoning why I chose each part.

Intel Core i5 - 6600k : best price/performance ratio currently (especially after overclock)

G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 8Gb ( 2 x 4 Gb) : I like G.Skill, seems to be one of the cheapest kits, and is pretty dang fast.

ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming-ITX Very solid reviews. Cheap. Has Bluetooth + Wifi built in (which I need). Seems to overclock well enough.

Corsair 250D ITX Case I own a Corsair 450D Mid-tower for my desktop system and I'm extremely satisfied with it. I dig the sleek minimalist look and the dust filters eliminated my dust maintenance worries. I'm thinking ITX instead of mATX because I need this build to be compact enough to fit in a compartment within my home theater. Apparently this is 11.5" tall and that's cutting it extremely close (I think the compartment I'm trying to fit it into is exactly 11.5").

Samsung 850 Pro 256 Gb This is the exact SSD I have in my desktop. I was considering getting the Evo here to save some money but I'm worried that it's not going to last nearly as long or perform as well in the long run. Any input here?

Logitech K400 Keyboard Refurbished To use the PC conveniently when I don't want to bust out all the wires. Couch surfing, movies, casual gaming for girlfriend (Sims)

This all brings me to about $750, accounting that I'll be adding a ~$50 PSU.

I don't have power supply picked out. Knowing I'm going to upgrade to a higher end GPU in the future when NVIDIA launches their next line up, could someone recommend me a power supply that's cheap, but reliable and quiet? I'm guessing I don't need more than 500W, right?

I have an older lightly used 1Tb hard drive I plan to reuse and I'm going to reuse an old ATI 5850 I have laying around. Then when NVIDIA launches their next line up I'll pick up whatever sits in the value sweet spot. The 5850 is better than Intel's integrated graphics for the 6600k, right? My mentality here is to maximize my budget on quality parts and re-use what I have laying around so I can do another upgrade down the road to my GPU (spending $300-$400). I also have an old Hyper 212 Evo laying around. Must be nearly a decade old. Is that going to work or is it going to be an incompatible fit with the new chipset? I have a bunch of extra fans to use so buying fans shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not sure how I'd clip them onto my Hyper 212. I also have a wired mouse and wired keyboard I'm going to re-use for gaming until I can afford new ones.

Also, if there's anything nifty worth looking at for HTPC in terms of peripherals, I'm all ears. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-23-2016, 03:32 AM

Liked: 2696
The XFX TS 550 watt is about as cheap as you can get without getting something subpar.

post #3 of 16 Old 02-23-2016, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

The XFX TS 550 watt is about as cheap as you can get without getting something subpar.

Thanks smile.gif

All 550W PSU's such as that one should be pretty quiet, right? I want this build to be on the quiet side.

Any other suggestions for the build or do you think it looks fine for what I'm trying to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 02-23-2016, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337dude View Post

Thanks smile.gif

All 550W PSU's such as that one should be pretty quiet, right? I want this build to be on the quiet side.

Any other suggestions for the build or do you think it looks fine for what I'm trying to do?
Its not what i would call super quiet so if you want that you are going to have to spend more.

The XFX XTR cost a little bit more but its also better more quiet as well as fully modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207032&cm_re=XFX_XTR-_-17-207-032-_-Product

post #5 of 16 Old 02-23-2016, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Its not what i would call super quiet so if you want that you are going to have to spend more.

The XFX XTR cost a little bit more but its also better more quiet as well as fully modular
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207032&cm_re=XFX_XTR-_-17-207-032-_-Product

Thanks - I forgot that I needed modular anyways because I'm going to be tight on space in my case wink.gif

Now I'm thinking I should spring for 2x8Gb RAM because I just realize I'll only have a couple of slots. But my budget will have climbed quite a bit... biggrin.gif

Also, I'm not 100% dead set on the Corsair 250D so I might end up requiring more recommendations. I'll need to take my take measure to my girlfriend's to see if it will fit because it seems almost too close at this point. I'm curious if there are any better mini ITX cases out there that aren't 11.5" tall?
post #6 of 16 Old 02-23-2016, 05:46 AM

Have you looked at the cases Phanteks offers?

post #7 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Have you looked at the cases Phanteks offers?

I have but nothing caught my eye to be honest. I'll get back with measurements tonight - I'm really just hoping the Corsair 250D fits.

I ordered my first part of my build, this Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 RAM, was on sale for $80. Was going to order non-low profile RAM for $5 more with slightly tigher timings but I think in an ITX build, that minor space difference might be more beneficial to me than slightly looser timings. I probably wouldn't notice those slight timing differences anyways.

Did more research and found that the Hyper 212 won't fit so I'm going to bite the expensive bullet and order myself a Swiftech H220-X2. Paired with an i-6600k, I think it should overclock quite well and also come dangerously close to competing with my X99 5820k build.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 06:28 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 36
I would probably go z87 / z97 with a GTX970 route. Having nothing but issues with my Skylake build right now. I'd get a 4690k or 4790k, which leaves more cash for other quality parts/cooling. That's just my two cents.

Existence is Resistance
post #9 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha216 View Post

I would probably go z87 / z97 with a GTX970 route. Having nothing but issues with my Skylake build right now. I'd get a 4690k or 4790k, which leaves more cash for other quality parts/cooling. That's just my two cents.

I'm not getting any video card with this build until the next launch of cards. I would prefer Skylake because it gives me compatibility with future CPU releases (if anything significantly faster comes out on this platform) and it seems to be sweeter in the performance per dollar. I'm not saving much money by getting a 4690k instead of a 6600k.

But if you can sway me, go for it. I appreciate a different approach.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-24-2016, 07:05 AM

Liked: 12
Might I suggest the silverstone grandia gd09 case. Its slightly cheaper than the corsair and is designed more to blend into a home theater setup. it is a full size atx and the height is only 6.7" how is your width and depth looking?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page