I've come up with a build and I'm wanting some reviews on it before I make any decisions. - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 24 Old 09-01-2016, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

Yep. Those big black things are the screw-less latches I mentioned.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up!

Overall what do you think about the build?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeTheoScrub View Post

I have a fair amount of old computer games and software that are only installable via disc.

And when you say that, does it mean that external optical drives are different from internal? Because it doesn't give me any details on internal hard drives when I look at the specs on the case. I'd assume you can't install external optical drives into the case?

Right. Internal drive would require a 5.25" bay. External is likely a usb drive that sits on top of your case or on your desk. If you need the internal drives be sure to find a case with 5.25" bays.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

post #13 of 24 Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6213
Quote:

Alright, thanks for clearing that up!

Overall what do you think about the build?

I'm a PSU guy, and the first thing I noticed is the PSU is overkill, but you're getting a good price on it after the discounts. Other than that, I guess it's pretty damn good. It makes mine seem like a cheap toy. lol

Semi-Classic Firefox Add-ons Manager (CSS script)

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 Old 09-01-2016, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
Quote:

I'm a PSU guy, and the first thing I noticed is the PSU is overkill, but you're getting a good price on it after the discounts. Other than that, I guess it's pretty damn good. It makes mine seem like a cheap toy. lol

Haha yeah, people always say to leave a headroom of about 100w between your PSU and your actual wattage consumption and I thought maybe a little extra wouldn't hurt.

But I'm glad you like it! It'll be a terror to get the money for, but hopefully that massive upfront payment will save me from having to spend money upgrading it for a few years.
post #15 of 24 Old 09-01-2016, 07:32 PM

Liked: 72
Quote:

Haha yeah, people always say to leave a headroom of about 100w between your PSU and your actual wattage consumption and I thought maybe a little extra wouldn't hurt.

But I'm glad you like it! It'll be a terror to get the money for, but hopefully that massive upfront payment will save me from having to spend money upgrading it for a few years.

Hate to say it, but nooooope. We simply don't save money in the long run by front loading in this endeavor.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-01-2016, 08:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltamonk View Post

Hate to say it, but nooooope. We simply don't save money in the long run by front loading in this endeavor.

Why not? I've had the same CPU, motherboard and memory since July of 2011 with no desire for an upgrade. Even my GTX 780 is still keeping me happy.

The virtuous spirit has no need for thankful approval, owning a certain conviction that what has been done is right.

post #17 of 24 Old 09-01-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Why not? I've had the same CPU, motherboard and memory since July of 2011 with no desire for an upgrade. Even my GTX 780 is still keeping me happy.

B/c the same level of performance gets cheaper as time goes on. So in most cases it's cheaper to upgrade when the time comes than it is to front load. The few exceptions to this are things like the floods that raised storage costs, bitcoin mining on the hd7xxx series, etc...

Last edited by WaterBottle; 07-05-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Added pics
post #18 of 24 Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

B/c the same level of performance gets cheaper as time goes on. So in most cases it's cheaper to upgrade when the time comes than it is to front load. The few exceptions to this are things like the floods that raised storage costs, bitcoin mining on the hd7xxx series, etc...

If I were to do any upgrades, then I'd have to buy first and sell my old stuff much later. I can't afford that. I don't have any backups to hold me over, so I can't sell my stuff first before I buy. Even then, I'm not going to be able to cover the costs completely of the upgrades, so it's still a purchase.

Building a system like he's building should last him an extremely long time. For someone like me, hell, that'd probably last another 10 years. lol

post #19 of 24 Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 PM

I get what you're saying and ya I'd be happy with it too for a very long time. But, I simply don't agree it saves money. Some might be happy with it and that's cool, but saving money by doing so? I don't believe so.
post #20 of 24 Old 09-01-2016, 09:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I get what you're saying and ya I'd be happy with it too for a very long time. But, I simply don't agree it saves money. Some might be happy with it and that's cool, but saving money by doing so? I don't believe so.

Think about it. If I built that rig and it lasted me like 10 years (which it likely would with the way I use my computer), then that would definitely save me money.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page