Cpu stress test freeze - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-12-2018, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, having issues with stress testing and some games that have high cpu usage in the beginning. About 30 seconds into the CPU-Z stress test, the computer freezes, fans go max RPM, power to USB devices are cut (my corsair k70 goes dark). And the thing is, I'm not even custom overclocking it, it's on Intel turbo boost.

It locked up the comp from accessing bios when restarting, mashing delete did not work, went to windows and then it froze again and fans go up, etc... I had to shut down for 10 minutes before getting it to open windows without freezing.

This only happened after I updated bios and after that I changed the timing on my ram correctly along with the correct multipliers for 1600mhz.(they were at 1330mhz with incorrect timing).

Rig belonged to my pops for a few years for cad drawings and 3d rendering.

Mobo,dx58og
Cpu, 990x
Ram, ballistix sport ddr3 16gb (2 8g sticks kit)

I'll post specific specs when I get home, just wanted to start to see if this is a general problem related to changes to the ram or updating the bios.

I get the it's a power issue, maybe the Intel boost is doing something wrong.

Or could be a ram issue locking up, not letting me go into bios... Does the CPU-Z stress test even test ram first minute in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-12-2018, 04:11 PM

Liked: 2696
What PSU is in that system? you said something about it being a power issue so that might be it

post #3 of 9 Old 01-12-2018, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Corsair rm850w gold, brand new.

I'm gonna set the bios to default and disable the turbo boost to see if it replicates on standard clock settings (including setting the ram to default) when I get back home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Corsair has more then 10 models rated at 850 watts so you need to specify

If you bought the plain RM and not the RMi or RMx then you should return it
http://www.overclock.net/t/1455892/why-you-might-not-want-to-buy-a-corsair-rm-psu

post #5 of 9 Old 01-12-2018, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry, it's a TX850M, don't know if that's worse or?

I do have a Thermaltake tr2 600w (atx 12v 2.3). Problem is my video card needs 2 8 pin connections, this psu only has 2 6 pins and only 1 of them has a +2. Unless there's a way to adapt another +2 from the 4 pins or adapt a 6 pin from the 4 pins and then adapt that and the remainder original 6 pin both into a 8 pin adapter? I was concerned about doing that since it would be 2 adapters being used.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-12-2018, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

reset everything to default, still had the problem. So it's the bios update I did. Any high CPU task with this version is freezing my system, I had a feeling. Previous version I was doing the same tasks without a hitch. I read that some folks run into similar problems with updating bios.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23054/BIOS-Update-SOX5820J-86A-

I was on 0603, first version and updated to newest 0920. I figure I can downgrade to previous versions until I find a stable version.

Thing is, I never did a rollback before. Is there anything special to do? I take it it won't be as easy as downloading the .exe and running it.

just did it, will report if this fixes the problem for future reference.

update: It seems the bios update was not the culprit but Intel Turbo Boost. After disabling it, ran stress tests without any problems. Either this processor can not overclock, maybe too old, or not getting enough voltage from the factory turbo boost settings or some other setting is wrong, I will have to study it.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-13-2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsodinson View Post

I'm sorry, it's a TX850M, don't know if that's worse or?

I do have a Thermaltake tr2 600w (atx 12v 2.3). Problem is my video card needs 2 8 pin connections, this psu only has 2 6 pins and only 1 of them has a +2. Unless there's a way to adapt another +2 from the 4 pins or adapt a 6 pin from the 4 pins and then adapt that and the remainder original 6 pin both into a 8 pin adapter? I was concerned about doing that since it would be 2 adapters being used.
Unless the TX is broken thats not the problem
As for the TR-2 if its one of the old TR-2´s then its gos awful and belong in a dumpster

post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

As for the TR-2 if its one of the old TR-2´s then its gos awful and belong in a dumpster

Yeah, it's the turbo boost. I tried the stock turbo settings, no good. I tried Intel's suggested settings for the 990x, won't even start OS. Screw it, it's just old hardware. I'm going to get a good enough mobo and good enough skylake processor with some vengeance sticks, keep it under 400$.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-2018, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Talked to my pops, he bought it in 2013 and only used it lightly for about 3 years. I'm pretty sure that this isn't a process issue then.

It very well could be the PSU. I will get it replaced at best buy.

I also have the computer hooked up to a battery/surge protector combo, could that be the culprit? I will hook up the comp to a wall socket and see if that fixes it when I get home. APC Back-UPS 850VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector with USB Charging Ports (BE850M2)

Though I think you were right in the beginning that this is a PSU issue since turbo boost pulls slightly higher voltages.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page