My very first build - overwhelming - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-19-2009, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys! Just joined this forum (officially) though I've visited more than a couple of times for some information and didn't see a need to register until now. I have a build based on E6600 but now I think I want to move on to a better build for the games that I've bought as well as other interests.

This will be my first build, the build before this wasn't really built by me. I've decided to build an i7 rig and I know it may not be easy that's why I hope the more experienced guys here can point me in the right direction.

So far I've chosen these components, whatever isn't listed here means I'll be re-using it from my previous build. This is what I want in my build:
1. Great graphics running on 1920 x 1200 resolution
2. Reasonable sound quality (I'm assuming I have to get a sound card instead of using the onboard sound cards)
3. A good/stable system that will last me for quite a while and help jumpstart my overclocking "adventure"
4. Possibility of extending to a dual GPU set-up
5. RAID is a possibility but not in the foreseeable future.

My choice of hardware:
1. Motherboard: undecided (caught between the eVGA X58 Classified/ LE/ Rampage II Extreme)

2. PC Case: Lian Li PC-V2010

3. CPU: Core i7-920

4. RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D (I've heard that RAM running at 1.65V could damage the CPU severely especially when I'm overclocking I increase the risk of doing so, so would this RAM kit be suitable for my build?)

5. HDD: I'm sure a decent western digital will give me no problems. I'm also planning on getting an SSD for my OS and other frequently used applications which will be an Intel SSD X-25M Gen 2

6. Graphics card: should I be getting the latest 5970 or the 5870 or 295?

7. OS: Windows 7

8. PSU: Enermax REVOLUTION85+ 850W (My friend suggested this to me due to Enermax's reliability in PSUs)

9. Sound card: unsure

My top priority is getting a compatible and stable system together next would be costs. What do you guys think of it? What can be improved, changed? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-19-2009, 02:47 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 99
If you're wanting great graphics at that res, you're going to want to go for at least a GTX 260, probably a 275. 295 will also do it fine, obviously. 5970 will also do a hell of a job but I'm an nvidia fanboy

As for 'reasonable sound quality', unless you're really an audiophile the sound card you get shouldn't matter, most onboard sound cards nowadays are pretty damn solid anyway. It's more the headphones/speakers you use.

i7 is definitely the way to go for overclocking, even as a bit of an AMD fan, the clocks I've seen some i7's go to even with stock cooling have been a bit mad.

Not sure on the rest, I mostly just know about CPUs and GPUs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxicrimsonixx go_quote.gif
Basically it does multi-threading. And because the Q8300 has 4 cores, it does better than a E8600.

4x 2.5GHz = 10Ghz
2x 3.33GHz = 6.66Ghz

Thus, Q8300 wins.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-19-2009, 03:02 AM
Subterranean Infiltrator

Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyth View Post
My choice of hardware:
1. Motherboard: undecided (caught between the eVGA X58 Classified/ LE/ Rampage II Extreme)

2. PC Case: Lian Li PC-V2010

3. CPU: Core i7-920

4. RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D (I've heard that RAM running at 1.65V could damage the CPU severely especially when I'm overclocking I increase the risk of doing so, so would this RAM kit be suitable for my build?)

5. HDD: I'm sure a decent western digital will give me no problems. I'm also planning on getting an SSD for my OS and other frequently used applications which will be an Intel SSD X-25M Gen 2

6. Graphics card: should I be getting the latest 5970 or the 5870 or 295?

7. OS: Windows 7

8. PSU: Enermax REVOLUTION85+ 850W (My friend suggested this to me due to Enermax's reliability in PSUs)

9. Sound card: unsure

1. Evga Classified. Best X58 board, period. The Foxconn Bloodrage is a worthy mention, also. Cheaper too.

4. No, it's if it's running ABOVE 1.65v, then there's a tiny risk. 1.65v is safe though, and recommended. And that RAM is good, but for for $25 more, you can get the same RAM at better timings: (7-7-7-20 1T) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145253

6. Grab a 5870 when one becomes available. Perfect card for running games maxxed out at 1920x1200, flawlessly. I own one, and can attest to its outstanding performance at 1920x1080, and then some.

8. Enermax Revolution85+ psus have incompatibility problems with the Classified board, in particular. It's all over their forums, and on newegg reviews. Keep that in mind if you pick the Classified.

9. The X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, or Auzentech X-Fi Forte are awesome gaming cards.

BTW, you left out a cpu cooler.
http://www.crazypc.com/products/mega-shadow-508603.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181010

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-19-2009, 03:08 AM
OverCrook'd

Liked: 379
1. Great graphics running on 1920 x 1200 resolution - I suggest the 5970 if you can afford it or a GTX285 if you want to go with something a little cheaper. Then possibly SLI this card at a later point. However a GTX285/295/5870/5970 would be a great choice for this resolution.

2. Reasonable sound quality (I'm assuming I have to get a sound card instead of using the onboard sound cards) - Like some one said above, unless you are big on audio this won't make much difference but if you have the spare money then why not, it will improve your gaming and music listening.

3. A good/stable system that will last me for quite a while and help jumpstart my overclocking "adventure" - i7 is a great way to start, especially these D0 stepping chips as they clock stupidly high even on stock volts. You have made a good choice on the chip.
4. Possibility of extending to a dual GPU set-up - most X58 motherboards have a option of dual GPU's. And all X58's with multiple x16 PCI-E lanes are capable of either SLI or CrossfireX

5. RAID is a possibility but not in the foreseeable future. - I would recommend you going RAID to begin with to save hassle in the long run. I would go with two 640Gb Western Digital Caviar Blacks or Seagate 7200.12 500Gb and possibly an SSD for the OS and vital programs. This would be a very quick set up.

New around these parts? Check out The Ultimate Newbie Guide And General Information Thread! Oh, and don't forget to fill in your rig specs under the My Profile page!
-
Don't know your DIMM from your DRAM? Check out Overclocking Acronyms for Dummies!
-
Site changed since last time you visited or just wondering what features the forum has? Visit the Features & Explanations thread!

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant 

post #5 of 5 Old 11-21-2009, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
Thanks for the suggestion guys, will definitely think them through.

Quote:
1. Evga Classified. Best X58 board, period. The Foxconn Bloodrage is a worthy mention, also. Cheaper too.
There are retailers in my country that sell the E761 Classified motherboards, what's the difference between the E760? Any experience with the Asus Rampage II Extreme? Also, I've been considering the Asus P6T Deluxe V2, seems to have the features I want but I'm not sure what I have to look out for when overclocking

Quote:
3. A good/stable system that will last me for quite a while and help jumpstart my overclocking "adventure" - i7 is a great way to start, especially these D0 stepping chips as they clock stupidly high even on stock volts. You have made a good choice on the chip.
Will there be a choice to purchase an i7-920 without the D0 stepping chip or are they equipped with them by default?

Quote:
4. No, it's if it's running ABOVE 1.65v, then there's a tiny risk. 1.65v is safe though, and recommended. And that RAM is good, but for for $25 more, you can get the same RAM at better timings: (7-7-7-20 1T) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145253
Appreciate the tip though someone told me that using CL7, CL8 or CL9 wouldn't result in any real world performance difference.

Quote:
8. Enermax Revolution85+ psus have incompatibility problems with the Classified board, in particular. It's all over their forums, and on newegg reviews. Keep that in mind if you pick the Classified.
Thanks for the heads up, should have done more research. But what PSU do recommend if I decided to use the Classified?

Quote:
As for 'reasonable sound quality', unless you're really an audiophile the sound card you get shouldn't matter, most onboard sound cards nowadays are pretty damn solid anyway. It's more the headphones/speakers you use.
Quote:
9. The X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, or Auzentech X-Fi Forte are awesome gaming cards.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page