Help with Intel mobo, 1155 i7 with Crossfire - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm looking to finish out a build for my computer with a i7 2600k, however I seem to be having trouble finding a good mobo. I'm looking for a motherboard that supports Eyefinity and preferably will support PCI Express x16 with 2 cards.

The two I seem to be eyeing are:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 (Reviews seem way better)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128499

ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157269

The UD7 is 100 more so I'm leaning a bit towards the ASRock. The layout of where the 2 gpus would sit seems better on the ASRock. I am a little confused on why the ASRock has video connectors on the back with no onboard video? I also haven't heard much about ASRock boards.

Any opinions on these two, or other suggestions, would be appreciated. Another thought is just to completely wait for IB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 1357
2600k provides GPU lanes from the CPU itself, which run natively at x8/x8. Boards that provide additional lanes come from NF200, an addon chip from Nvidia. The problem is NF200 adds additional latency and ends up being very similar in performance to the native x8/x8 bandwidth (if not slower I would imagine.) Take a look at the Maximus IV Extreme-Z. It has an NF200 chip, but for two cards it only runs the native x8/x8 and only utilizes NF200 when three cards come into play for x16/x16/x8 bandwidth which makes sense.

So basically, don't waste your time on a board with NF200 if you're just going to run two GPUs (you can save some money too ). If you're running three GPUs, then it actually makes it worth it but with only two you will see equal performance with the native x8/x8 lanes. I particularly like the AsRock Gen3 (not the Extreme7, the lower models) boards, you should take a look at those.

Chimp Challenge Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 01:23 AM
3.0ghz

Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamin3 View Post
2600k provides GPU lanes from the CPU itself, which run natively at x8/x8. Boards that provide additional lanes come from NF200, an addon chip from Nvidia. The problem is NF200 adds additional latency and ends up being very similar in performance to the native x8/x8 bandwidth (if not slower I would imagine.) Take a look at the Maximus IV Extreme-Z. It has an NF200 chip, but for two cards it only runs the native x8/x8 and only utilizes NF200 when three cards come into play for x16/x16/x8 bandwidth which makes sense.

So basically, don't waste your time on a board with NF200 if you're just going to run two GPUs (you can save some money too ). If you're running three GPUs, then it actually makes it worth it but with only two you will see equal performance with the native x8/x8 lanes. I particularly like the AsRock Gen3 (not the Extreme7, the lower models) boards, you should take a look at those.
I agree! But correct me if I am wrong, I believe the idea of the NF200s is that the cards are able to communicate directly with each other without going through the CPU, which is why one is included on the GTX 590, as such it is only very useful when dealing with more cards than the built-in lanes can handle, as you have said!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 6
So I'm looking at that Maximus IV Extreme-Z board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131760

Thinking that with the i7 2600k. I'm planning on a 6990 + 6970. Wanting to eventually end up with either 2x 6990's or 6990 + 2x6970. The other option I've thought about is 2x6970 and waiting for 7xxx series to upgrade further. This will be with Eyefinity @ 5760x1200. Would this be a good board to handle that? Reviews on it seem great, as well as OC ability.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page