Droop Mod Question - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-03-2006, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Sorry for making a new thread out of this, I posted a question about this under the droop mod sticky but I guess it went unnoticed...
This question is for anyone who's done this mod, I've done some soldering in the past but I'm inexperienced with such sensitive equipment...I've got a 15w Solder Pencil and I'd like to know what soldering method you guys used. Did you melt the solder on the solder pencil then swipe it on the intended spot to avoid excessive heat contact or did you touch the tip of the soldering pencil to the solder point, then apply solder to the heated area to form a fillet? Did you use a clip-on heatsink to avoid excessive heat exposure, if so where did you apply it? I just wanted to hear you guyzes experiencez and figure out what works best before I went forward, thanks!

***sorry wrong section, this should be in the volt mod forum, ops!***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-04-2006, 01:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 322
if you are really unsure of your skills.. take it to a electronic repair shop and have them do it for ya.. the spots that need to be touched are extremly small even with the mag glasses it can still be a pain to see well the best bet would be to tin the wire since you are gonna need one hand for the wire one for the pencil.. place the wire in the proper spot and hit it with the pencil till it gels with the solider in place on the board already.. very quick not to long not to much heat.. and be very carful
Noble Savage likes this.

Living Under Bridge

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #3 of 12 Old 10-04-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Thanks Trippen Out! Great advice! I dont think I'd be comfortable with trusting someone else to do this mod, unless I was certain they had plenty experience. Now I can try to reach the 4.0 club...then maybe find some DDR500, that's if prices come down some time soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 3
Whats a Droop Mod?

post #5 of 12 Old 10-04-2006, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

A Droop Mod is a hardware modification to your MoBo to help control fluctuation of the Core Voltage (VCore). The fluctuation is problematic because the bios drops the voltage of the CPU under load to keep the temps at a reasonable level (Prescotts run a little hotter than their 90nm process counterparts). If you're OC'ing your CPU using a P4P800 MoBo then you'll want to achieve a steady voltage to ensure a stable overclock...hope this helps
post #6 of 12 Old 10-04-2006, 06:46 PM
1.3ghz

So i should do the Droop mod to my p4p800-e-Deluxe?

post #7 of 12 Old 10-04-2006, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

I can't really give you a yes or no answer, you'd have to consider a couple of things:

i) P4P800's are known to achieve a high overclock, if you've tested your system and found out that you're hitting a wall where you feel you might be able to squeeze a little more juice out of your rig...
ii) this is a REALLY, REALLY, sensitive hardware mod, the contacts what you'll be dealing with are very small and are exteemly heat sensitive, ie. you could end up destroying your MoBo...

If you're confident about the stuff I mentioned then you should consider it, especially if you want to get the most out of your system...go for it!
post #8 of 12 Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
1.3ghz

Do PC shops do this? i don't want to risk it!

post #9 of 12 Old 10-04-2006, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Don't risk it if you're not confident with soldering, most electronics repair shops that perform on site repairs should have a competent technician in house. Like Trippen Out said, it would be worth paying someone a couple of dollars for them to do it for you...

by the way, check out this thread for more info on exactly where the solder points are and the type of potentiometer you'll need...

http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...4c800-e-2.html
SR20Drift3r likes this.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-04-2006, 09:17 PM
1.3ghz

Ok thanks for the Advice Rep for you!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page