Very strange startup behaviour - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
News Fiend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've had this iteration of my PC (sig rig) for about a year now, running around 4-10 hours per day. Everything is running fine except that starting from last week it refuses to turn on. Actually that's not quite true since it may turn on after 10 minutes or longer, but it certainly is not normal or consistent. Pushing the power button registers no reaction from any of the components. But then sometimes minutes later (I left and came back half-hour later) it will spontaneously start.

The motherboard power light is on so it is receiving power just fine and shorting out the PSU-on and ground wires on the ATX cable starts the fans spinning etc. I should also add that once the computer is running it is perfectly fine, no BSODs or anything at all that would indicate a hardware failure. So I'm wondering if I take it in to a computer store whether they will be able to fix it (I don't have the necessary tools) or whether I should just RMA the motherboard?

Cheers in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee7283 go_quote.gif
I ended up sneaking in the back door and stealing a Pentium II 450 setup which I later exchange for sex from this half asian/half white girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 1381
Sounds like the psu to me.

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant 

post #3 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
News Fiend

If it was the PSU then why would shorting out the PS on cable cause it to start immediately when pushing the power button doesn't?

Quote:
I ended up sneaking in the back door and stealing a Pentium II 450 setup which I later exchange for sex from this half asian/half white girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylence View Post

If it was the PSU then why would shorting out the PS on cable cause it to start immediately when pushing the power button doesn't?

Have you tested shorting the jumper on the board as well? It seems that the board is working fine while it is up right?

post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
News Fiend

Shorting the on pins (where the front button connects to) does nothing. Was that what you were referring to? And yes the motherboard runs fine while on.

Quote:
post #6 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylence View Post

Shorting the on pins (where the front button connects to) does nothing. Was that what you were referring to? And yes the motherboard runs fine while on.

Yea, that's what I meant. Typically we lean towards the psu or power delivery as the culprit in situations of erratic behavior. But since you've proven the board won't power on when you jump the mb header... it rather singles out the board. It's a shame too, since otherwise it sounds like the board is fine.
Sylence likes this.

post #7 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter
News Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Yea, that's what I meant. Typically we lean towards the psu or power delivery as the culprit in situations of erratic behavior. But since you've proven the board won't power on when you jump the mb header... it rather singles out the board. It's a shame too, since otherwise it sounds like the board is fine.

Yeah thanks that's pretty much what I thought. Is there any chance that it could be fixed or is it just better to RMA?

Quote:
post #8 of 8 Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

It reads like there's a break in the traces. Or maybe check the back of the board and look at the solder points. Maybe a heatgun to reflow that connector?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page