[Official] MSI Z77A Owners/Discussion/Information/Support Thread and Club (GD65, GD55, G45, ...) - Page 16 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 696 Old 06-25-2012, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrumzy View Post

Just went through this and sent the board yesterday. Such a shame that memory oc's are the only one that seem to "brick" the cmos to the point of not being able to release the information, reset cmos. Another poster mentioned the same thing resulting in a RMA. Someone mentioned to turn the computer off, remove the battery, turn power back on, and turning the computer back on. This he called a "hard reset" and was the only way for him to get the board to do what he was asking. Seems logical enough. I didn't give it a chance as I was beyond frustrated and just started prepping to ship the board back. I went through NUMEROUS failed oc's for the processor but I had two fails when trying to OC the memory, the first resulted in a more than necessary attempt to reset CMOS and the second was exactly how you described it. I'm quite curious as to why only with memory.

Did you try the backup BIOS with the switch on the board?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 696 Old 06-25-2012, 05:05 PM
733mhz

Liked: 6
Quote:

Just went through this and sent the board yesterday. Such a shame that memory oc's are the only one that seem to "brick" the cmos to the point of not being able to release the information, reset cmos. Another poster mentioned the same thing resulting in a RMA. Someone mentioned to turn the computer off, remove the battery, turn power back on, and turning the computer back on. This he called a "hard reset" and was the only way for him to get the board to do what he was asking. Seems logical enough. I didn't give it a chance as I was beyond frustrated and just started prepping to ship the board back. I went through NUMEROUS failed oc's for the processor but I had two fails when trying to OC the memory, the first resulted in a more than necessary attempt to reset CMOS and the second was exactly how you described it. I'm quite curious as to why only with memory.

I tried all that methods, in my case memory was running at default speed 1600, switching bioses didn't help.
Some google, and I found more than 5 persons reported the same random error 55 without changing any settings and their PC was running fine. BTW I was enabling the OC Genie on my motherboard, maybe it bricked something? The PC was perfectly fine for 2 days, restarted, shudown, stress test, no problem. Third day, powered up the PC, pressing Fx for HDD boot list, after showing the HDD boot list, 3 seconds on this screen and the PC restarted in an endless loop with error 55.

post #153 of 696 Old 06-25-2012, 05:23 PM
performance fanboy

Liked: 213
Quote:

Good question, I disliked my p67 gd65 because when failing a memory overclock I also had to do the battery pull, try switching mem modules, etc. to be able to boot again.
The MSI z77 boards I've used all seem to be much better for me so far for recovering from the failed OC, but reading here seems like not all.
Maybe bios difference? z77a-gd55 bios 1.2b8 could recover from 55 error, z77a-gd80 bios v1.0 recovered, z77a gd65 bios v10.3 recovered. Currently have bios v10.5 on the gd65 but haven't pushed memory hard with it yet.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  40 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 696 Old 06-28-2012, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Liked: 20
I tried the OC Genie button yesterday. My 3570k is @ 4,2 Ghz.

Currently Playing:
PS4: Destiny & Horizon Zero Dawn
PC: Battlefield 1, ...
Keep your friends close and your charger closer
post #155 of 696 Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SpArkLeS- View Post

I tried the OC Genie button yesterday. My 3570k is @ 4,2 Ghz.

I find it a little awkward to be pressing the button when its inside my case.

post #156 of 696 Old 06-28-2012, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milamber View Post

I find it a little awkward to be pressing the button when its inside my case.

True but I don't have any overclocking experience and thought, let's try this. I was dusting out my case so, no problem.

Currently Playing:
PS4: Destiny & Horizon Zero Dawn
PC: Battlefield 1, ...
Keep your friends close and your charger closer
post #157 of 696 Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SpArkLeS- View Post

True but I don't have any overclocking experience and thought, let's try this. I was dusting out my case so, no problem.

Got ya, I think the button is a good idea if we could have an external button from it.

post #158 of 696 Old 06-29-2012, 06:25 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 23
So 4th of july is coming up and both newegg and amazon have the 3570k for 214 with free shipping. Shipping means a lot to me since I'm in hawaii. I'm debating on whether to roll the dice on another 3570k since mine is a horrible overclocker. What do you guys think? Am I being a little to careless? My current 3570k is delidded and runs pretty cool just can't get it to be stable with respectable volts above 4600. 4800 is impossible to obtain, stability wise, no matter what voltage I throw at it.

Current Games Being Played: Diablo 3, Battlefield 3, Tera Online
"If you ain't first, your last'

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #159 of 696 Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:

So 4th of july is coming up and both newegg and amazon have the 3570k for 214 with free shipping. Shipping means a lot to me since I'm in hawaii. I'm debating on whether to roll the dice on another 3570k since mine is a horrible overclocker. What do you guys think? Am I being a little to careless? My current 3570k is delidded and runs pretty cool just can't get it to be stable with respectable volts above 4600. 4800 is impossible to obtain, stability wise, no matter what voltage I throw at it.

Put it this way, your experience reminds me of a 2600k i had, I replaced that with a 2500k it was that bad. If I were you, I would get rid of it and see if you can strike the jackpot with a good stepping or find a store that lets you see the stepping before you buy and research the known cpu's to get.

You were really injecting a lot of volts into that chip for the overclock imo...

post #160 of 696 Old 06-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 15
I own a MSI Z77A-GD65 and I love it smile.gif

I don't overclock my 3570K with the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev B anyway because I want to own the features !

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page