MSI P67A-GD53 B3 Power cycles a few times before booting, Any Suggestions? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-26-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
33B

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So i built a little computer from my old parts plus some second hand ones from ebay.

I bought a used MSI P67A-GD53 B3 motherboard to go with a 2500k, GTX 580 and Patriot 8GB PC3-12800 1600MHz Intel Extreme RAM. Im having a few problems at the moment the first being the board has been updated to the latest bios which MSI only recommends for use with 22nm (ivybridge cpu's) which i am not running and the bios wont roll back even making a disc and using DOS.

The major problem though is the board power cycles every time i switch it on from cold or restart it from windows, It will come on for about 5 seconds switch off and come back on 5 seconds then its happy to boot to windows (But sometimes it will power down power back up and then just not do anything until i hold in the power button)

The board at the moment is all stock settings there's no overclock and i have tried different RAM

I have read on the GD53 thread a few people in the past having the same problem but the thread didn't really give many answers so hopefully someone can help!

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-27-2013, 12:27 PM
I hate portals

Liked: 326
It is normal, sort of a safety feature of MSI.

I have that with my MSI board, but I've changed the BLCK from 100MHz (default) to 104MHz which causes it to cycle a few times when cold booted.

There is a setting is Bios which disables it, called safe boot (I think) and it has a number next to it (default is 3, I think). Just set it to disable if you like.

However, if you do overclock/overvolt with settings that fail to boot, the board will not reset itself for you or give you that option, you'll have to manually do that by removing the battery or pressing the ClearCMOS button.

Unless it really annoys you, just keep it the way it is thumb.gif

RAIL Does Not Mean POWER.

Look up this Database before buying a PSU.

post-flame-small.gif_.=5 GHz Overclock Club=._post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif_. I <3 Mechanical Keyboard._ post-flame-small.gif
post #3 of 3 Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
33B

Liked: 7
I can only see "OC Retry Count" which is set to 1... i have disabled that but it still does the cycle.

Its not so much that it annoys me its just i am building this computer for someone with very limited computer exp and to send them a pc which is hanging after a boot sequence (sometimes) would kind of annoy them.

If it was for me i would just get on with it as i know what i'm doing if it started to hang on boot up.

As its a feature i will probably sell this motherboard on as I've now ordered a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3. Hopefully this doesn't have the same feature.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page