My HDD killer Z77.... - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-01-2015, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I have a Z77X UD5 motherboard i've bought 2 years ago..

Last year my Corsair SSD died and frankly I blamed the cables and the SDD itself. The motherboard was fine. I switched it with Samsung Pro HDD and went on. Since last week PC was acting weird, it was taking too much time to boot up (let's say 1 minute with fast boot and everything).

Today my harddrives and ssd, everything died. PC itself is booting up but none of the harddrives is being recognized by stupid motherboard. I can't even access to BIOS menu because I/O and front USB panel is not working either.

Everything was fine in terms of maintenance last night, i had no notifications from Samsung Magician or the Windows itself.

I have no idea what's wrong...

It's not cables, i'm sure of it. Tried different and even original cables and no go.
It's not harddrives, i'm sure right now, since it's the second event with same mobo.

BIOS ?
SATA ports ?
Faulty motherboard ? I can't send it to guarantee anymore since it's more than 2 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-01-2015, 05:01 AM

Liked: 1
Personally, I'd be checking that the PSU is ok.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-01-2015, 05:05 AM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post

I have a Z77X UD5 motherboard i've bought 2 years ago..

Last year my Corsair SSD died and frankly I blamed the cables and the SDD itself. The motherboard was fine. I switched it with Samsung Pro HDD and went on. Since last week PC was acting weird, it was taking too much time to boot up (let's say 1 minute with fast boot and everything).

Today my harddrives and ssd, everything died. PC itself is booting up but none of the harddrives is being recognized by stupid motherboard. I can't even access to BIOS menu because I/O and front USB panel is not working either.

Everything was fine in terms of maintenance last night, i had no notifications from Samsung Magician or the Windows itself.

I have no idea what's wrong...

It's not cables, i'm sure of it. Tried different and even original cables and no go.
It's not harddrives, i'm sure right now, since it's the second event with same mobo.

BIOS ?
SATA ports ?
Faulty motherboard ? I can't send it to guarantee anymore since it's more than 2 years.

I had an ROG Maximus VII Z97 ITX board that killed SSDs. Ended up returning the board. I'm honestly not sure how the mobo can kill an SSD, but that board managed it twice. Wiped out an old OCZ 60GB drive (which I chalked up to just being an old drive), but then killed a 120gb PNY drive fresh from best buy. Try a different sata port, maybe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-01-2015, 05:05 AM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 111
Does the SSD work in another machine?
I'd make sure you are getting 12, 5, and 3.5v where you should. A SATA power cable will fit (and work) in my PCIE slot, but it will be dumping 12v to any thing connected to it.

5Ghz 4690k on a CM 212 EVO If ignorance is bliss, retardation must be euphoria. Why you should avoid XFX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyVT go_quote.gif

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-01-2015, 05:17 AM
Programmer

Liked: 62
Honestly, the first thing I'd blame is the power supply.
How old is it?

post #6 of 9 Old 11-01-2015, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Thanks for the help,

It was the last year i've purchased the PSU. It's EVGA G2 1000W.

1 have 1 SATA power cable with 3 outlets, one end is connected directly to the PSU and other 3 is powering up 1 HDD and my SSD on which OS is installed, 3rd one is idle. I have another OS installed in other HDD which is powered over separated power cable, it's not being recognized either.

post #7 of 9 Old 11-01-2015, 07:09 AM

Liked: 226
That is all the symptoms of the south bridge of the chipset dying. It is perfectly feasible for them to die, as a lot of the modern southbridges run hot. I took steps to cool mine more, as it was running at 70C +.
Remember the south bridge usually takes care of SATA, USB, Network, BIOS, and a few other things. There's many components to it, and it sounds like part of the chip died, or maybe it's heat damaged like can happen to GPU's. (Anyone tried baking a motherboard?? biggrin.gif )

It's time for a new motherboard by the sounds of it.

EDIT : That is, assuming the PSU is good. But it does sound like you have a good one. You have tested it?
post #8 of 9 Old 11-01-2015, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by latelesley View Post

That is all the symptoms of the south bridge of the chipset dying. It is perfectly feasible for them to die, as a lot of the modern southbridges run hot. I took steps to cool mine more, as it was running at 70C +.
Remember the south bridge usually takes care of SATA, USB, Network, BIOS, and a few other things. There's many components to it, and it sounds like part of the chip died, or maybe it's heat damaged like can happen to GPU's. (Anyone tried baking a motherboard?? biggrin.gif )

It's time for a new motherboard by the sounds of it.

EDIT : That is, assuming the PSU is good. But it does sound like you have a good one. You have tested it?

Uhm...

I'm a bit noob when it comes to PSU units, that's why I digged a lot before buying the G2 and asked lots of questions in overclock.net forums, browsed thread etc.

How can test a PSU ?

post #9 of 9 Old 11-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post

Uhm...

I'm a bit noob when it comes to PSU units, that's why I digged a lot before buying the G2 and asked lots of questions in overclock.net forums, browsed thread etc.

How can test a PSU ?
Jump the power and test all the pins against a pinout sheet.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1420796/repository-of-power-supply-pin-outs

5Ghz 4690k on a CM 212 EVO If ignorance is bliss, retardation must be euphoria. Why you should avoid XFX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyVT go_quote.gif

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page