Asus Z10PE D16 WS Owners Thread - Page 6 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #51 of 430 Old 08-09-2016, 10:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Also, heavy memory loading really gets those dimms warm... I think I am going to look at putting some heat spreaders on them. I have good flow through the case, but even 2400 is pushing out quite a bit more heat than 2133 when things get busy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 430 Old 08-09-2016, 03:40 PM
Networking Nut

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pushed mine to 2400 but saw no gain in benches at the core clocks I'm at so pulled it back to 2200. No temp sensing on my DIMMS though so I actually dont know where mine are at. Probably a good excuse for an IR thermal tester.
post #53 of 430 Old 08-09-2016, 07:52 PM

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekim View Post

Any temp data from your setup?

Ambient: 27C
Processor: E5-2666v3 2.9GHz OC'ed (BCLK 104).
I let P95 run for about two hours before recording the temperatures under load. As seen in the second picture, the cpu fans' rpm went up to only about 950rpm (connected to the mb). The case fans were all fixed at the same low rpm through the fan controller. The overall sound remained like a very mild hummm.

The second cpu is quite a bit hotter under load, obviously because the hot air from the first cpu is pushed and pulled into its heatsink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 430 Old 08-09-2016, 08:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by raminux View Post

The second cpu is quite a bit hotter under load, obviously because the hot air from the first cpu is pushed and pulled into its heatsink.
I see the same and its proximity to the PSU who's fan is pointed in not out due to the rack-mount case of mine means the 2nd is always at a higher ambient under load. At a minimum, I am going to add another 92mm fan to that sink to help it out.

I might eventually water cool the whole mess, but that case is complicated enough with a lot of hard drives that I'm actually appreciating a break from the plumbing compared to my desktops...

Thanks for the charts... Still trying to sort out all the above, so the comparison helps.

post #55 of 430 Old 08-11-2016, 09:47 PM

Liked: 3
Where do you guys get your engineering samples from?Also which BIOS are you running them under.
post #56 of 430 Old 08-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Networking Nut

Intel OFC, the only legal source.

3204 presently.
post #57 of 430 Old 08-18-2016, 08:25 PM

In upgrading to the new BIOS, even flashback failed on my system. I inserted the USB key with the new bios file into the usb slot adjacent to the flashback button and press the button. The button blue light turns on and flashes three times and then becomes a solid light. When I start the system, nothing has happened and the bios is still what it was. It is frustrating when things keep going wrong. Fortunately, there remain still two other ways. I used EZ Flash from within the BIOS and it worked.

However, BIOS resets to default and I neglected to back up my data, loosing the raid array containing my data. It's not a tragic situation since I have a backup for almost everything except the last week's data. After turning the system off and on, the array is somehow restored but the partition containing the data is not accessible. Windows says I have to format it in order to access it. Does anyone know how to bypass the formatting step so that I can have the volume with the data on it back?
post #58 of 430 Old 08-18-2016, 08:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by raminux View Post

In upgrading to the new BIOS, even flashback failed on my system. I inserted the USB key with the new bios file into the usb slot adjacent to the flashback button and press the button. The button blue light turns on and flashes three times and then becomes a solid light. When I start the system, nothing has happened and the bios is still what it was. It is frustrating when things keep going wrong. Fortunately, there remain still two other ways. I used EZ Flash from within the BIOS and it worked.

However, BIOS sets to default and I neglected to back up my data. I loose the raid array containing my data. It's not a tragic situation since I have a backup for almost everything except the last week's data. After turning the system off and on, the array is somehow restored but the partition containing the data is not accessible. Windows says I have to format it in order to access it. Does anyone know how to bypass the formatting step so that I can have the volume with the data on it back?

The flashback takes a LOOOOOONG time. Having used it on other Asus boards, I thought something had gone wrong, but needed to re-flash to support BWE so had no other way to boot at all. I let it sit there for what seemed like an eternity.

As for your arrays, are you sure you restored your sata controller settings to what they were before (raid or ahci - whatever it was)?

I tend not to rely on bios RAID format if I don't have to since I can move a linux mdadm array around if I don't, but whatever setting you had before, you will need again.

post #59 of 430 Old 08-18-2016, 08:44 PM

Yes, I changed all the settings back to what they were and for sure the array is restored, because the array had two partition in it and there is no way Windows could see these two partitions if the array hadn't been restored. I may try to boot up from a linux disk to see if I can have access to the partitions.

As regard to the flashback, the manual says the light keeps flashing until the task of update is complete. At this moment, the light goes out. When I tried it, the light flashed only three times and then it became a solid light. Obviously, Asus didn't care to explain in more details what possibilities are out there.
post #60 of 430 Old 08-18-2016, 09:03 PM
Networking Nut

If it can see the partitions then the MBR is present at the start of the drive but each partitions MFTs are missing.First thing I'd do is use "dd" to image the array elsewhere so if you do more damage trying to repair it you can retry as many times as needed.

Check that windows hasn't detected it as a new device and elected to use a generic driver instead of the appropriate one.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page