Forum Jump: 

post #591 of 1089 Old 07-23-2016, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Nothing on the board will get hot enough to melt that shrink wrap, except maybe the main CPU VRMs.

Can that rear cover be disassembled so you can remove the plastic?
While a PCI-E bridge/switch can't increase bandwidth to or from the CPU, they can increase bandwidth between devices for uses that don't need to go through the CPU.
You can remove the back cover but you it's only one piece with a slit in the middle where the LED is. I'll just leave the shrink wrap on. Gives it a nice glossy sheen. thumb.gif

Do you think I should attempt to install the Rampage V in that Core P3 case? I was planning on ordering another RVE board since I'm in love with the looks or I could "settle" for the Gigabyte Designare EX which is an ATX board and should fit without issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #592 of 1089 Old 07-23-2016, 10:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 3129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

Do you think I should attempt to install the Rampage V in that Core P3 case? I was planning on ordering another RVE board since I'm in love with the looks or I could "settle" for the Gigabyte Designare EX which is an ATX board and should fit without issue.

The Rampage will be a very tight fit, and you'll almost certainly have to route some power and SATA cables where they are almost completely visible, but I'm quite certain it can be made to work, at least with regards to pure function. If that's an aesthetic issue for you, I'd avoid trying to use this board with the TT P3.

Still, I wouldn't let a relatively inexpenisve case dictate the hardware I used inside it either. Pick a board that suits your needs, then find a case that will hold everything you want it to the way you want it to.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #593 of 1089 Old 07-23-2016, 10:43 AM

Liked: 9
Doesn't have the rear I/O quite like the RVE

RVE looks very pretty on the rear I/O...front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #594 of 1089 Old 07-23-2016, 10:58 AM

Liked: 141
Quote:

The Rampage will be a very tight fit, and you'll almost certainly have to route some power and SATA cables where they are almost completely visible, but I'm quite certain it can be made to work, at least with regards to pure function. If that's an aesthetic issue for you, I'd avoid trying to use this board with the TT P3.

Still, I wouldn't let a relatively inexpenisve case dictate the hardware I used inside it either. Pick a board that suits your needs, then find a case that will hold everything you want it to the way you want it to.
Problem is that I'm really only interested in the P3 or Phanteks Evolv TG and neither of them support something as wide as the RVE. The upcoming EVGA case looks nice but that's a month away.

post #595 of 1089 Old 07-23-2016, 11:53 AM

Liked: 4
Quote:

Nothing on the board will get hot enough to melt that shrink wrap, except maybe the main CPU VRMs.

Can that rear cover be disassembled so you can remove the plastic?
While a PCI-E bridge/switch can't increase bandwidth to or from the CPU, they can increase bandwidth between devices for uses that don't need to go through the CPU.

can you let me know what are the PCIe devices that don't need to go through/control by CPU?
post #596 of 1089 Old 07-23-2016, 12:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoolman View Post

can you let me know what are the PCIe devices that don't need to go through/control by CPU?

Some portion of GPU coherency (frame buffer compositing in particular) in multi-GPU setups is device to device. It's why there is no performance impact (clock for clock) on putting two GPUs on one PCB.

Things like drive controller cards and higher-end NICs can also talk directly to each other over a bridge without touching the CPU.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson
post #597 of 1089 Old 07-23-2016, 01:24 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 68
Very excited. Just ordered my CPU, and soon I'll be testing the motherboard and CPU out! Now, I just need to wait for the Samsung 960 Pro's to release, and the new Titan X. smile.gif

post #598 of 1089 Old 07-23-2016, 01:40 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

Problem is that I'm really only interested in the P3 or Phanteks Evolv TG and neither of them support something as wide as the RVE. The upcoming EVGA case looks nice but that's a month away.
I made this board fit in my Evolv ATX case. At first it didn't fit. I removed the LED panel/thing on the back of the motherboard. Once I did that the board literally JUST fits. The edge of the mobo lays against the angled part of the case on the right edge. I put down electrical tape on the case there to prevent any possible shorting. It also partially obstructs the sata ports but figured I'd mention my hacky fix for this.
DADDYDC650 likes this.
post #599 of 1089 Old 07-23-2016, 02:03 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:

Some portion of GPU coherency (frame buffer compositing in particular) in multi-GPU setups is device to device. It's why there is no performance impact (clock for clock) on putting two GPUs on one PCB.

Things like drive controller cards and higher-end NICs can also talk directly to each other over a bridge without touching the CPU.

if they talk over a bridge, how does PLX play a role in increasing bandwidth like you said?
post #600 of 1089 Old 07-23-2016, 02:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoolman View Post

if they talk over a bridge, how does PLX play a role in increasing bandwidth like you said?

The PLX chip is the switch/bridge.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page