Xeon X99 suggestion and questions - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,

So I was looking to change my old setup, i7 860@3.5Ghz which is getting old but still did the job, got it back in early 2010 and I was hoping that Intel would preview the LGA3647 at Computex or at least leak the details but that might have killed the sales. Anyway, so I got a Xeon E5 2630 V4 10 cores 20 threads, very cheap and I will be switching to it.

My needs are mostly workstation, I build Vmware/Virtualbox all the time, three monitors, family backups, medium gaming, home automation & surveillance, etc.
I followed the latest Computex event a bit, the refresh x99 motherboard are nice but mostly bling bling LED, which I don't care, I want a feature packed motherboard, RAID is a must, dual NIC is a must, 1 or 2 m.2, USB 3.1/Type-C., etc.

Is there any of the newly announced board currently available? If so, which one?
Otherwise, did I miss any announced date?

I was also looking at the Workstation motherboards, which are nice but most, if not all of them like the Asus WS didn't get a refresh yet, sadly.

The CPU won't get here until one or two weeks so I am not in a rush...
Also, what kind of overcloking can be done on a Xeon Broadwell-E CPU on x99, if any?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-10-2016, 09:40 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by embro View Post

Hi guys,

So I was looking to change my old setup, i7 860@3.5Ghz which is getting old but still did the job, got it back in early 2010 and I was hoping that Intel would preview the LGA3647 at Computex or at least leak the details but that might have killed the sales. Anyway, so I got a Xeon E5 2630 V4 10 cores 20 threads, very cheap and I will be switching to it.

My needs are mostly workstation, I build Vmware/Virtualbox all the time, three monitors, family backups, medium gaming, home automation & surveillance, etc.
I followed the latest Computex event a bit, the refresh x99 motherboard are nice but mostly bling bling LED, which I don't care, I want a feature packed motherboard, RAID is a must, dual NIC is a must, 1 or 2 m.2, USB 3.1/Type-C., etc.

Is there any of the newly announced board currently available? If so, which one?
Otherwise, did I miss any announced date?

I was also looking at the Workstation motherboards, which are nice but most, if not all of them like the Asus WS didn't get a refresh yet, sadly.

The CPU won't get here until one or two weeks so I am not in a rush...
Also, what kind of overcloking can be done on a Xeon Broadwell-E CPU on x99, if any?

Thanks in advance.

Which RAID are you looking to run? I'm sure you know that RAID5 or 6 would run like crap on most motherboards without cache. Might be better off shopping for that feature on an LSI card.

post #3 of 3 Old 06-10-2016, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I might reuse my IBM M1015 if it works, for my RAID I don't need speed at all, all I use it for is so that if one drive dies I don't have to recover from Crashplan.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page