Reboot twice after ram upgrade - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Audiophile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey all so I decided to finally upgrade to 16gb of ram after having low memory issues in my various multitasking situations but I'm having a problem with the new ram.

I'm going from my Gskill Ripjaws 8gb kit 1600mhz to a set of Corsair Vengeance pro 2400mhz 16gb kit.

When I first installed the ram I didn't touch any of the settings in the bios but even then when I went to turn it on it started but then restarted before it could get to the bios, Did that two times then booted normally.

Went into the bios made sure it was giving the ram enough voltage. The bios was reading that it was giving the ram 1.67v and the only lower setting is 1.64v wasn't sure weather to drop it or not so I left it.

Altered the timings to match the ram then tried booting again, same issue.

Let it boot and checked cpuz and it's only reading the ram at 665mhz each and the ram timings aren't what I set them at. Supposed to be 11-13-13-31 but are reading 9-9-9-24 which is the auto settings. Total ram speed is sitting at 1333mhz instead of the 2133mhz that my motherboard will allow even after I tried setting it to that it wouldn't read past 1333mhz.

So I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight as to what might be the issue I'm having.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 09:49 PM

Liked: 10
can we get the full specs for your build please
post #3 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 09:50 PM
Networking Nut

Liked: 0
Quote:

I'm assuming this is for your sig rig, if that's the case your should check your motherboards memory speed compatibility, it only goes up to 2133(OC)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastexas View Post

can we get the full specs for your build please
My sig rig is my full build list only difference is the ram being the Corsair Vengence Pro 2400mhz 16gb kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim01 View Post

I'm assuming this is for your sig rig, if that's the case your should check your motherboards memory speed compatibility, it only goes up to 2133(OC)

Yes that's right. I know my motherboard is only meant to go up to 2133mhz OC. I've seem a few rigs with the same mhz ram as what I picked up so I would of assumed that if I set the timings and frequencies that it wouldn't make much of a difference.

So I take it you believe that the ram might be too high of a frequency for my motherboard to handle so it's pretty much rejecting it.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 10:07 PM

You set the ram at 2133mhz in bios and save yet if you reboot straight back to bios the ram is reset to default? It is not holding the manual settings? Is that correct?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
Audiophile

That is correct. It won't hold the manual settings at all just automatically drops back to 1333mhz and default timing.

I'm contemplating going back to the store and getting a set of 1600mhz ram just to save the hassle. Not sure what there return policy is like but hopefully they won't have a problem if I do go ahead with it.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 10:13 PM

I am no expert at this stuff but did you OC the cpu at all to get the ram to 2133mhz? Does not seem like you can get there without some cpu tweak. I could be wrong. Or have you only messed with the ram timings
post #8 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 10:19 PM

I did have a friend who had to turn off all th power saving options in the bios on his build like yours to get the ram at max

might be worth a shot. You have check for bios updates as well right

I can also tell you that I have had to go back to an earlier bios to get certain ram to max out before. Latest is not always the best. Usually but not always.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
Audiophile

I'm thinking now that I think about it that since it says 2133mhz oc that it really only supports 1600mhz ram so I'm probably running into compatibility issues so I'm just going to return them and get another set but with 1600mhz frequency's instead.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2016, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
Audiophile

Solved. Took the ram back and got a set of Gskill Ripjaw 1600mhz 16gb sticks. Installed them and it booted up like normal. Thanks for the help anyway guys. smile.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page