is it worth taking this risk on buying this used z170 motherboard? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 07-21-2016, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi so on craigslist i came across this deal on a z170 mATX motherboard which i would like to get for my HP sleeper PC. a new board costs $145 and i managed to get the seller to lower his price on the board to $90. though he said if i wanted to see if it works or not id have to pay $50 extra for labor (which i know is way overpriced. more than what an entry level computer or even network/server technician makes in my area in an hour.) or i can just buy the board for $90 as is and take a risk. so should i take a risk or should i just go buy a new board off frys or amazon or something. because getting him to test it in front of me would cost roughly $140 which is almost the same as a brand new motherboard. im a bit skeptical on taking the risk though since what if the BIOS is corrupted then im dead. i will leave a link to straw poll so you can cast your votes there.

http://www.strawpoll.me/10801641
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Hi!

Liked: 1249
...not with a ten foot pole!

Like who is going to be holding the $140 in his hand when the computer won't post?

post-flame-small.gif5 GHz Overclock Club post-flame-small.gif

Misinformation is available from a variety of other sources. Misinformation is just like real information but wrong.

...and enough power to shoot the speaker cones through the walls.

post #3 of 22 Old 07-21-2016, 02:43 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 167
Exactly which Board is this? Regardless, if having him test it and prove to you its working or alternatively you get a tail light guarantee, let him keep it. I personally do not buy used mainboards, nor do i sell them. Ive made one exception to this when I bought a used highend board on OCN, but he had more to lose than I if he was being fraudulent with me as he sold a ton of stuff on here regularly.

▒█▓♦ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 980 Owner's Club ♦█▓▒█▓
If arrogance and superiority complexes could generate electricity, OCN would rule the world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 07-21-2016, 02:47 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 11
$50 for him to show you that its working!! Wow i wouldn't touch that.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-21-2016, 02:48 PM
RHCSA

Liked: 380
If he is unwilling to prove it is functional, then I suspect it doesn't work.
I wouldn't do it without knowing it works.

So it would honestly be better to simply buy a new board.

Funny junk (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiber go_quote.gif
If you watch Jaws in reverse, it's about this shark that throws up so many people they had to open a beach because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif
I'm finally watching the video. Presently, I'm at 1:18 into the video and all I'm thinking is "this is a pre-built; it is supposed to be slow".
post #6 of 22 Old 07-21-2016, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultisym View Post

Exactly which Board is this? Regardless, if having him test it and prove to you its working or alternatively you get a tail light guarantee, let him keep it. I personally do not buy used mainboards, nor do i sell them. Ive made one exception to this when I bought a used highend board on OCN, but he had more to lose than I if he was being fraudulent with me as he sold a ton of stuff on here regularly.
he says its a pain in the ass to pull the cpu and ram on his working system and plop it into the motherboard just to show that if it is working or not. he claims that it was working before 2 weeks before he pulled the cpu and ram out and migrated that to an ITX board. the motherboard is a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 and i know the normal retail value is $145 on B&HPhotoVideo no tax and free shipping. what do you think of this?
post #7 of 22 Old 07-21-2016, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post

If he is unwilling to prove it is functional, then I suspect it doesn't work.
I wouldn't do it without knowing it works.

So it would honestly be better to simply buy a new board.
he says for $50 extra he can prove if it is working or not, and if i dont want to pay that extra $50 id have to take a leap of faith and buy it as is.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-21-2016, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

...not with a ten foot pole!

Like who is going to be holding the $140 in his hand when the computer won't post?
actually its $90 he says i can either buy the board as is for $90 or if i pay and extra $50 he will show to me in person if it is working or not.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitchmaster000 View Post

he says its a pain in the ass to pull the cpu and ram on his working system and plop it into the motherboard just to show that if it is working or not. he claims that it was working before 2 weeks before he pulled the cpu and ram out and migrated that to an ITX board. the motherboard is a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 and i know the normal retail value is $145 on B&HPhotoVideo no tax and free shipping. what do you think of this?

While I have not used that particular board yet, the specs look good on it. As for the price, whether thats good or not, i really couldnt say, like I said, i dont buy or sell used mainboards. Here is the issue I have with buying a used mainboard though. There are a lot of different systems integrated on to the PCB. Very few computers use everything available to start. Many enthusiasts tend to grow into their systems. You could buy that board and down the road when you decide to add on, you may find out one of the usb headers is not functional, two of the sata ports do not work, Lan does not work right (If your using wireless to start with). You would have to use every feature and every port to verify everything works. A lot of mainboards get pulled because people were troubleshooting any one of these systems and replaced the board to finally solve their problem. A lot of the time just throwing money at it and never finding the exact issue. Really all he would be doing if he DID boot it up for you with his cpu and ram is prove that the board actually boots with that cpu and ram in those two slots or whatever. If you do not personally know him and trust him not to screw you over, it really is the best idea to get the mainboard new and with a warranty thats usable. It is the hardest part to replace and the backbone of the system. That said, a lot of people buy used boards and are ok, maybe the board is fine, maybe they just never use the circuit on that board that gave the previous owner the problem. Its more of a dice roll than I personally like to take. His lack of effort to make you feel good about the transaction is disturbing though. Most techs have a CPU or two and some ram lieing around for bench testing.

Edit: Full disclosure, I did sell my entire Z97 system recently but there was still several years of warranty left on the board and gave him everything he needed to use it

▒█▓♦ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 980 Owner's Club ♦█▓▒█▓
If arrogance and superiority complexes could generate electricity, OCN would rule the world!

Last edited by Rcap; 06-29-2014 at 08:07 PM.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-21-2016, 05:10 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 132
THe fact that you needed to make this thread should tell you all you need to know.

Dont do it, dude.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page