Bad motherboard? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-31-2016, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, in terms of troubleshooting, so I'll put it here because I think it may be motherboard related.

Yesterday I turned my computer on and it went into a continuous boot loop. Well, continuous meaning three times because that's when Windows stops and gives me the opportunity to load into safe mode. I was able to load into safe mode, when I did I proceeded to try and load a system image because something wasn't right. I noticed that there were hundreds of short horizontal lines across the screen. I restarted the computer, now I couldn't even get into safe mode. At this point I figured I was better off to reload Windows, I was able to do that and get to the desktop, only for a couple of minutes before the computer rebooted on its own. Not even long enough to install a display driver to figure out the display issues. Upon rebooting, it went into another boot loop. I went into UEFI and noticed it changed all my boot options, #1 was Windows boot manager, #2 and #3 were disabled. When I put #1 back to my main drive and restarted, it told me to insert a bootable drive.

This is the main jist of the problems. I did a bunch of other stuff in the process to try and troubleshoot, but this is the current situation and the most repeatable. I even flashed the most recent BIOS with no changes. I tried unplugging all my other drives, I tried switching SATA connections, I tried plugging my PSU cables into different outlets. No change.

I thought there was the possibility of it being the PSU, but the PSU wouldn't cause the boot options to change on its own. I also thought of the possibility of it being a bad SSD, but that wouldn't cause the display to be all hosed up. If these were separate issues, I might suspect the PSU or the SSD but this all happened at once and the common denominator would be the motherboard.

I'm not 100% sure on this. I'm just making an educated guess at this point. Are there any other possibilities? Any other ideas to try to help narrow this down? At this point in time I'm really not keen on replacing the motherboard unless I have to (which means also buying a new CPU because chances of finding a decent 1155/Z77 motherboard is pretty slim).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The computer in question is My Desktop listed below.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-31-2016, 06:14 PM
Audiophile

Liked: 8
I'll just list some things that came to mind that might cause the issues.
1. Microsoft auto update (I've lost count how many times it messed something up in my experience).
2. Graphics card, RAM or motherboard card is going bad.
3. Something is overheating (possibly already damaged), make sure your case fans, graphics card fan and the H50 are clean and working.
4. PSU going bad or a power spike caused damage to one or many components.

Are you overclocking anything? If you can get into BIOS, do a full reset to defaults (updating the BIOS doesn't necessarily reset to default). I'm assuming the motherboard BIOS isn't corrupted since you can not only access it, but update it as well.

Bad or overclocked RAM could have caused corruption in the main drive; but then there's the lines you saw on the display. I guess the lines could have been driver related instead of a dying card. I don't know if a dying SSD would cause this kind of problem, I think they just stop working.

If possible, try the RAM, graphics card, and SSD one at a time in a different computer. You might not want to boot into Windows on the test computer to avoid corrupting that Windows installation. I would recommend unplugging the test computer's boot disc and run a live boot Linux distro off a DVD or USB thumb drive. If you don't want to mess with Linux, make sure you have a current full backup of the test computer before you test the parts in it.

If the RAM, graphics card and SSD seem to function fine in a test system then, if possible, try a different PSU with the problem computer. If problems still exist, and you know that the graphics card, RAM and SSD are good, then it would be a bad motherboard or CPU perhaps.

EDIT: for extra info
I did just did a quick search and found that sometimes bad firmware on the SSD can cause it to corrupt data. If you just updated the SSD firmware, or it auto updated, that might be the problem.
JJFIVEOH likes this.

I learned binary so that I could break in registers biggrinsmiley.gif w/ wpcredit. Now my RIMMs keep spin'n every time I stop arrowheadsmiley.png but I was still vexed by small pages until I tried 7-max. thumbsupsmiley.png
post #3 of 10 Old 08-31-2016, 06:21 PM

Liked: 270
Sounds like a bad GPU
JJFIVEOH likes this.

"Humans aren't the only species on Earth, We just act like it..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-31-2016, 07:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUnit View Post

I'll just list some things that came to mind that might cause the issues.
1. Microsoft auto update (I've lost count how many times it messed something up in my experience).
2. Graphics card, RAM or motherboard card is going bad.
3. Something is overheating (possibly already damaged), make sure your case fans, graphics card fan and the H50 are clean and working.
4. PSU going bad or a power spike caused damage to one or many components.

Are you overclocking anything? If you can get into BIOS, do a full reset to defaults (updating the BIOS doesn't necessarily reset to default). I'm assuming the motherboard BIOS isn't corrupted since you can not only access it, but update it as well.

Bad or overclocked RAM could have caused corruption in the main drive; but then there's the lines you saw on the display. I guess the lines could have been driver related instead of a dying card. I don't know if a dying SSD would cause this kind of problem, I think they just stop working.

If possible, try the RAM, graphics card, and SSD one at a time in a different computer. You might not want to boot into Windows on the test computer to avoid corrupting that Windows installation. I would recommend unplugging the test computer's boot disc and run a live boot Linux distro off a DVD or USB thumb drive. If you don't want to mess with Linux, make sure you have a current full backup of the test computer before you test the parts in it.

If the RAM, graphics card and SSD seem to function fine in a test system then, if possible, try a different PSU with the problem computer. If problems still exist, and you know that the graphics card, RAM and SSD are good, then it would be a bad motherboard or CPU perhaps.

EDIT: for extra info
I did just did a quick search and found that sometimes bad firmware on the SSD can cause it to corrupt data. If you just updated the SSD firmware, or it auto updated, that might be the problem.

Lol I think you just listed all the components of the computer as possibilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garikfox View Post

Sounds like a bad GPU
Doesn't sound like a bad gpu if there's issues with the SSD saying it's no longer bootable, does it?

Surely there is something else you can use as a OS drive to test?
JJFIVEOH likes this.

"Out here, survival is the name of the game. Only it's not a game; it's deadly serious." - R. Coight
post #5 of 10 Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

I should have an update here shortly. I just tried something else that might have helped.

post #6 of 10 Old 08-31-2016, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. It really is appreciated. Here's what I did since then.

I agree with you all that is sounds like a bad GPU. But I just didn't see how in the hell it could wreak so much havoc on everything else, it just didn't make any sense. The RAM was tested, somewhat. I removed each board one by one to see if it made any difference, it didn't. I have OC'ed this computer, but I've been running on default throughout all this. I don't have any spare parts to try. I did run Linux via thumb drive and I had the same issues. The screen was hosed up, and initially it said Linux was loading only to stop with a white checkered screen. That convinced me the SSD is fine because I had all my drives disconnected.

Then I forgot about onboard graphics so I bypassed the video card and ran right from the motherboard. Linux booted just fine. I'm only moderately optimistic, I still need to plug my drives back in try to load Windows to see if that's normal. In the process of downloading the ISO right now. Hopefully this is just the video card. It doesn't make any sense how it could hose everything else up so badly.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-31-2016, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinFX View Post

Lol I think you just listed all the components of the computer as possibilities.

Doesn't sound like a bad gpu if there's issues with the SSD saying it's no longer bootable, does it?

Surely there is something else you can use as a OS drive to test?

Better chance of being right. biggrin.gif

post #8 of 10 Old 08-31-2016, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

OK, thanks again everybody for all the help! I ran with on-board graphics for a while, downloaded some programs, rebooted several times and no issues. I switched back over to the video card, and within minutes the system randomly rebooted (the red lines came back). I removed the video card and went back to on-board graphics and it works fine again. Except, for some odd reason (and this is what it was doing earlier) whenever the system randomly rebooted, whatever is causing the video card to hose up the system, it maid my primary drive unrecognizable. That's when it tells me to insert a bootable drive. The only way around it is to clear CMOS. I don't know how a video card can render a drive to not be recognized, I have no idea. Either way, it looks like I'm shopping for a video card.

post #9 of 10 Old 09-01-2016, 01:16 PM
Audiophile

Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post

Better chance of being right. biggrin.gif

I was about to log out for the night, so I wanted to leave as much as I could for you to consider and check out.

As you said, it is weird that a graphics card problem could hose up the system so much. Perhaps it has something to do with the write caching settings on the SSD. The graphics card is making the computer restart before Windows has a change to write back changes to the SSD.

Usually a graphics card shows warning signs that it's dying, like artifacting when it gets hot. If it wasn't doing this then it could be that there is something going wrong in the PSU and it's not supplying enough power to the graphics card anymore. Of course, the PSUs that have died on me first showed warning signs when they would get hot; just the same as the graphics cards.

Hopefully a new graphics card fixes the problem; but if it doesn't, then try the new card in the other PCIe slots.

I learned binary so that I could break in registers biggrinsmiley.gif w/ wpcredit. Now my RIMMs keep spin'n every time I stop arrowheadsmiley.png but I was still vexed by small pages until I tried 7-max. thumbsupsmiley.png
post #10 of 10 Old 09-01-2016, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Commodore 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUnit View Post

I was about to log out for the night, so I wanted to leave as much as I could for you to consider and check out.

As you said, it is weird that a graphics card problem could hose up the system so much. Perhaps it has something to do with the write caching settings on the SSD. The graphics card is making the computer restart before Windows has a change to write back changes to the SSD.

Usually a graphics card shows warning signs that it's dying, like artifacting when it gets hot. If it wasn't doing this then it could be that there is something going wrong in the PSU and it's not supplying enough power to the graphics card anymore. Of course, the PSUs that have died on me first showed warning signs when they would get hot; just the same as the graphics cards.

Hopefully a new graphics card fixes the problem; but if it doesn't, then try the new card in the other PCIe slots.

I got my hands on another computer and swapped cards. After putting my card into a different computer (another gaming comp) it wouldn't eve display anything. His card worked perfectly on mine. I got to thinking about what you said and that would actually make more sense, the PSU going bad. Because that would explain more of these symptoms than a bad video card. Or perhaps the video card being hosed up is drawing a ton of power for some reason.

If by some chance this doesn't clear up my problems, I'm due for a new video card anyways so it won't be a total loss. I'm just not ready to replace the MB/CPU just yet. Maybe later in the year after I've done some research on what's available.

The only thing that sucks about all this, that I didn't realize until late last night, when I did the BIOS upgrade I lost all my overclocking profiles! mad.gif

Not gonna go crazy on a card, either a 1060 or 970.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page