post #1431 of 1625 Old 12-18-2017, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausewitz View Post

Nice.. Air cooling a Hero X though?

Why not, moist AIO liquid coolersis not better or worse. Then a high end aircooler.

Only a custom loop is way better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1432 of 1625 Old 12-18-2017, 07:55 AM

Liked: 4
Quote:

Nice.. Air cooling a Hero X though?

Was planning to use my old H100i, but I lost the compatible standoff screws so I couldn't. I'm planning to go custom loop but probably in a few months, need to keep an eye on my budget. biggrin.gif

post #1433 of 1625 Old 12-18-2017, 08:13 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemniscate View Post

I finally ended up getting the hero. Thanks to AlphaC and everyone else who answered my questions. I gotta say Scracy's build made me seriously consider formula until the moment I got into the store. biggrin.gif

Using R1 universal for now, going for the EK monoblock hopefully in a few months. Memories worked fine with XMP, those are 3466 c16 kits from corsair, which apparently used samsung's B dies. Haven't tried pushing them higher.

CPU thermal throttled at 100 deg C under prime95 small FFT at 4.5GHz (4.8GHz with -3 AVX offset) non-delidded. I'll test it for a few more days to make sure it's working fine and I'll delid it. VRM temps maxed at around 70 deg C, but the CPU throttled down to 4.3GHz so that probably doesn't say much.
Cheers biggrin.gif to be honest I have never had an issue with Hero boards in the past either, either way yes you do pay for the ROG name but you are also paying for quality, nothing worse than having to RMA a board which I have never had to with ROG.

devil.gif| 5ghz 24/7 club| devil.gif
ROG Maximus X Formula, Intel 8700K@5.3Ghz 1.42V (Reseal,OCCT Stable), Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG Edition 16GB @3333Mhz, EVGA Founders Edition GTX1070 2-way SLI, Samsung 960 Pro x2 (Raid 0) (O/S), Samsung 850 Pro x4 (Raid 0) (Data), Corsair AX860i PSU, EK Custom Loop PE-360, PE-240 Radiators, EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block, EK-FC1070GTX x2 GPU Blocks, EK-XRES Revo-D5 PWM Res/Pump Combo, EK-FC Terminal Dual Parallel, Corsair ML-120 Pro LED x6 Maglev Fans, Creative Soundblaster Z, Phanteks Evolve ATX Tempered Glass, ROG PG279Q 2560x1440 165Hz IPS Monitor. (3xRMA panel lottery winner)biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1434 of 1625 Old 12-18-2017, 10:53 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemniscate View Post

Was planning to use my old H100i, but I lost the compatible standoff screws so I couldn't. I'm planning to go custom loop but probably in a few months, need to keep an eye on my budget. biggrin.gif

I think Corsair will replace the mounting hardware.
post #1435 of 1625 Old 12-18-2017, 11:08 AM

Did you contact ASROCK tech support see if they can change the BIO, seems that nerfing 100Watts off a board on the asumption that an ITX at that power can't be cooled is... daft, and ASROCK is pretty responsive to customers.
post #1436 of 1625 Old 12-18-2017, 11:54 AM

Is the position of the holes to mount VRM heatsink standard from board to board?
I've seen that the asrock pro4 had mounting holes but no heatsink
post #1437 of 1625 Old 12-18-2017, 08:38 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:

I think Corsair will replace the mounting hardware.

It’s a bit problematic because I’m no longer staying in the country I bought it so I doubt the local distributor would replace them for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scracy View Post

Cheers biggrin.gif to be honest I have never had an issue with Hero boards in the past either, either way yes you do pay for the ROG name but you are also paying for quality, nothing worse than having to RMA a board which I have never had to with ROG.

Haha yeah hopefully I don’t have to ever go through RMA again. I had to RMA my EVGA card back then and even though they processed it quickly it’s still a pain to deal with not having access to my pc for a week.

post #1438 of 1625 Old 12-19-2017, 04:31 AM

Liked: 26
I'm planning a custom watercooled ITX build with a 5.2Ghz delidded i5 8600K from siliconlottery.. Should I go for the asrock fatality board with a cpu block or the strix Z370i with a monoblock?

post #1439 of 1625 Old 12-19-2017, 04:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 9
I think someone mentioned the Strix-i's VRM throttles around 150W.

The ASRock Fatal1ty ITX has good VRMs but unfortunately they're BIOS locked at 200W (no problems for the VRM).

If I'd weigh the differences,
strix-i
-Dual M.2.
-Easier to find a closer fittint monoblock (Ek STRIX-I Z270 block doesn't touch the inductors unfortunately)
-No idea how the fan headers are set up, potentially they're all DC/PWM switchable
-Really bad Realtek WiFi chipset

Fatal1ty
-Phenomenal POST times, typically 7-7.7 seconds with heavily overclocked RAMs with fastboot/windows 10 hybrid shutdown disabled (dGPU, I haven't tried iGPU + JEDEC-2133)
-Pretty sparse BIOS
>vCore in 5mV increments (fixed)
>vCore in 10mV increments (offsets)
>VccIO in 5mV increments
>VccSA in 50mV increments
(I hope the BIOS engineers aren't drunk...)
-1X DC/PWM fan header (CPU OPT)
-2X PWM fan header (CPU/CHA)
-2 Lane Thunderbolt
(it might make a decent lan party box with an eGPU GTX 1060)
-USB-PD Charging up to 36W
-AC8265 Intel WiFi chipset

You might be kneecapped with the strix-i VRMs, but it has potentially a better DC mode fan control across all headers and potentially abit better granularity with the BIOS.

But VRMs, connectivity (superior WiFi chipset) goes to the fatal1ty, better IO (unless raid 0 M.2 is your pick) goes to fatal1ty.

If there was a Maximus X Impact that might be a clear winner. (Asus@Raja - No impact planned for this gen). Neither of these boards are perfect. If you got the Fatal1ty, you need to make sure your planned loop has a low dependency on DC fan headers.

post #1440 of 1625 Old 12-19-2017, 02:06 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by encrypted11 View Post

strix-i
-Dual M.2.
-Easier to find a closer fittint monoblock (Ek STRIX-I Z270 block doesn't touch the inductors unfortunately)
-No idea how the fan headers are set up, potentially they're all DC/PWM switchable
-Really bad Realtek WiFi chipset
I don't know if Realtek really deserves their bad reputation these days, but regardless of that, Kitguru claims the Strix-I has the Intel 8265 wifi chipset, not the Realtek RTL8822BE of the Strix-E. I don't have one either one myself so I can't verify, but maybe someone else here can? I believe HWInfo64 will list the actual chipset name of your network adapter - it refers to my Asus PCI-E card as a Broadcom something-or-other.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page