Gigabyte X38-DS5 weird problem, need help!! - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-23-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
2.4ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hello. I am having problems getting my Gigabyte DS5 stable when I OC the ram.

First of all it wont OC the ram to 1100 (3.00 divider) without altering the FSB Voltage. Ive had to put the Fsb Overvolt setting to +0.20 to pass memtest. So it works fine at 1100 ram 3300 cpu.

But when I tried to further OC the ram using the divider set to 3.20, OC'ing the ram to 1174 ... My GPU had disabled itself somehow when I booted into windows. When I looked in Device manager it was still there but there was no information about the GPU connected. And it wouldnt enable properly when I disconnected and reconnected the GPU and tried reinstalling the driver.

Ive only managed to get the GPU to work properly again by resetting the ram divider to the stable 3.00/1100 setting.

The problem seems to lie somewhere in the voltage settings for the PCIE or FSB, im guessing.

Does anyone here have any idea what a few of the other settings on this board are for and how they alter the boards performance. (G) MCH overvoltage control is the one I am most clueless about ... Ive set it to +0.050 just to see if this would maybe solve the problem.

My Bios Voltages and settings look like this right now.

PCI freq - 100mhz
C.I.A.2 - disabled
Performance enhance -standard
Multiplier - 3.00a
Mem freq - 1100

mem settings 5,5,5,5,15
2t command

CPU/PCIEX clock driving control - 800mv (Im wondering if this might need another setting)

Cpu clock Skew control - normal
(G) MCH clock skew control - normal

ddr2 volts +0.40 (2.2)
PCI-E Overvoltage control - +0.10v
FSB Overvoltage control - +0.20v
(G) MCH Overvoltage control - +0.050
MCH Reference control voltage - normal
DDR Reference voltage control - +10%
DDR termination voltage - normal
Loadline calibration -enabled
CPU Volts - 1.35v

Can anyone give me clue to where the problem might lie ? voltage settings causing my GPU to become unstable like it is ?

Im on XP 32, Q6600, G.Skill 8500 2gb, 9800GTX - without OC right now.

Id be grateful if any genius out there has a clue whats happening. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-23-2008, 07:55 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 169
just because you have 1066 ram doesnt mean you have to be there,get a divider as close dont go over,i have the ex38-ds4 and have ddr2-1000 2x2 ram,i can run at 3.6 with 1.325 v-c,ram set at 2.0 volts try to stay there no need to go 2.2 unless you have fans on them,disable cie-speedstep infact all of those in that sec.,really thats all i did you dont need to adjust everything just some of it,my ram is at 1008 mhz 250A divider. heres a couple diff speeds any ?s pm me,i thinkthe mb's are similar
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
keyboard_commando likes this.

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #3 of 3 Old 04-24-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
2.4ghz

Liked: 50
Hey thanks for replying phillipjos. I have just managed to get it sort of stable. It'll run memtest for an hour, so far, but this is with some effort on the FSB voltages.

Soon as I added extra FSB voltage and booted my GPU was working normal again. I tried it again without the extra FSB voltages and back to square one it crashed in memtest. I guess I just have a quirky board. FSB voltage seems to have been the problem.

I reckon I might RMA this board and see what happens with another. It shouldnt be struggling with a relatively low OC.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page