Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-30-2005, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi there.
i just got some setup to build for a friend of mine.
Intel LGA 775 830 dual core 3.0G
GEIL DDR2 pc 5300 2G(1Gx2)
GIGABYTE GA-8I945P-G
WD SATA2 120G
GIGAVYTE nVidia 7800GTX 256Mb
600W no name make PSU
and so on

problem is, the machine would not boot up at all, i couldnt tell it's powerchecking coz the case doesnt have a built in speaker.
now out of first 10 times i tried, it randomly booted up twice but since then it's a failure, it powers up and that's it, monitor power indcator doesnt even go from standby yellow to normal green.
i tried to isolate the problem by unplugging all the fans,dvd rw, HDD, and only plugged in the cpu and pcie but still no luck. also tried a workin 600W working PSU which didnt help.
please everyone , anything that you can think of, it's 7 in the morning now and i'm still here scraching my head off
thanks so much!!!

ps i was thinking maybe the factory bios dont support dual core cpus and i need to update it, but not sure, does any one know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2005, 12:39 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 234
Send a message via AIM to metalkobra Send a message via Yahoo to metalkobra
Well...if its a no name PSU...that could be a problem, how many amps are on the 12v rail?
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2005, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalkobra
Well...if its a no name PSU...that could be a problem, how many amps are on the 12v rail?
it's 17A, not enough? mind you i tried another Enermax 600W PSU which works on my other machine, so is it possible PSU is not the problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-30-2005, 08:56 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 22
I heard power supply every time my computer broke and it never was. I think too much distrust is put into PSUs. Did it boot up for a second, then shut off? It might be overheating for whatever reason. Happened when I fried my motherboard with AS5. Your best be is to try to either go to a shop or use other computer's parts to isolate and make sure everything is working by itself. Did is ever work in the past? Try to be as specific as possible in the post.

EDIT: Just read your second post. Could still be the PSU, simply because it could have broken the computer on first start up. But that doesn't explain the multiple start ups then stops as I think you described, which would make it clear it was not the power supply. I would say it is either fried motherboard or fried video card or perhaps grounding or something. Sorry, but thats the basic truth, you need to test your parts.

Upgrades
A rebuilt/working computer... (hopefully)

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page