Forum Jump: 

post #3591 of 6384 Old 09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everybody!

I have just finished building my new PC.

My configuration includes an ASUS P6X58D Premium mainboard and an I7 950 @ 3,07 Ghz processor along with Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 TR3X6G -Triple Channel Kit; the PSU is also a Corsair TX850W.

The problem is that the frequency which is used by the ram is set by default @ 1066 Mhz. I don`t know how to safely change the value @ 1333 Mhz.

Please help me with overclocking my CPU at a stable value which is safe, what are the steps more exactly, and also how to change the frequency of the ram @ 1333 Mhz. I mention to you that I haven`t done any overclocking at this PC yet.

I made a great effort buying this Computer and I don`t want to mess it up.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3592 of 6384 Old 09-28-2010, 12:29 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex24buc View Post
Hello everybody!

I have just finished building my new PC.

My configuration includes an ASUS P6X58D Premium mainboard and an I7 950 @ 3,07 Ghz processor along with Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 TR3X6G -Triple Channel Kit; the PSU is also a Corsair TX850W.

The problem is that the frequency which is used by the ram is set by default @ 1066 Mhz. I don`t know how to safely change the value @ 1333 Mhz.

Please help me with overclocking my CPU at a stable value which is safe, what are the steps more exactly, and also how to change the frequency of the ram @ 1333 Mhz. I mention to you that I haven`t done any overclocking at this PC yet.

I made a great effort buying this Computer and I don`t want to mess it up.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Congrats on the new build! And Welcome to OCN!

For the easy part getting that 1333MHz. Go into bios, and go to DRAM Frequency. Hit enter and it will give you the options that are representative of the multiplier. Arrow down to the 1333 and hit enter. The UCLK Frequency should auto change to twice the DRAM Frequency but double check that it does. Hit F10 to save and your booting back up at 1333. The DRAM Frequency is based off of a multiplier of your baseclock or BCLK. Stock BCLK is 133MHz Multiplier options are X6,X8,X10,X12. Once you start overclocking and upping the BCLK you will need to lower that back down.

Now steps of overclocking is a bit harder to answer and I'll leave the overclocking guides to others. Basics, The BCLK Frequency X CPU Ratio=Core speed. Raise one, raise the other. Take into account other setting that effect the stability of the CPU. Adjust voltages to power the higher processor speed. Manage temps. Manage RAM and memory controller stability. Test for stablility. Then go blast some baddies or fold some proteins.

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant  10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3593 of 6384 Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 AM
4.2 ghz

Liked: 71
Well put Mr. Sizzle =D... If you look at the begining of this thread there are some Core i7-930/930 Overclocking guides (Furnished by our very own Mr. Xmisery) there. It shows what you should set your BIOS settings to so that you can achieve the higher clock speeds. Try one of those out (id suggest the lower clock speed ones first just to get the idea of overclocking) but be aware that they are for the 920's and 930's and that the 950's might not work with those settings so you will have to try to move some stuff around and change voltages to get a stable overclock. Also try asking around here if anyone has made a Core i7-950 overclocking BIOS settings yet. I don't want to volunteer Xmisery for anything but maybe he would be up for the challenge, so try and PM him about it. =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sizzzle~ View Post
Congrats on the new build! And Welcome to OCN!

For the easy part getting that 1333MHz. Go into bios, and go to DRAM Frequency. Hit enter and it will give you the options that are representative of the multiplier. Arrow down to the 1333 and hit enter. The UCLK Frequency should auto change to twice the DRAM Frequency but double check that it does. Hit F10 to save and your booting back up at 1333. The DRAM Frequency is based off of a multiplier of your baseclock or BCLK. Stock BCLK is 133MHz Multiplier options are X6,X8,X10,X12. Once you start overclocking and upping the BCLK you will need to lower that back down.

Now steps of overclocking is a bit harder to answer and I'll leave the overclocking guides to others. Basics, The BCLK Frequency X CPU Ratio=Core speed. Raise one, raise the other. Take into account other setting that effect the stability of the CPU. Adjust voltages to power the higher processor speed. Manage temps. Manage RAM and memory controller stability. Test for stablility. Then go blast some baddies or fold some proteins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac go_quote.gif
zodac fixed the spreadsheet, but says she doesn't wanna join your unofficial club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdog go_quote.gif
Watch out DickHard I'm coming for you..gunner2.gif

Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  25 Million+ Folding at Home points  15 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3594 of 6384 Old 09-28-2010, 04:38 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 960
For those of you that own a ASUS P6X58D-E can you use tall ram on the board and still use a big heatsink like the mega with dual fans ?

20 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x2 

post #3595 of 6384 Old 09-28-2010, 07:16 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 0
@~sizzzle~
@lawrencendlw

Thank you very much for your answers and advices.

So, has anybody on this forum safely overclocked an I7 950 with an ASUS P6X58D Premium mainboard, and if yes can you please provide me a guide of how to do (bios settings)?

post #3596 of 6384 Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex24buc View Post
@~sizzzle~
@lawrencendlw

Thank you very much for your answers and advices.

So, has anybody on this forum safely overclocked an I7 950 with an ASUS P6X58D Premium mainboard, and if yes can you please provide me a guide of how to do (bios settings)?
Before you go much further I'd suggest filling out your system specs. Should be able to find it here. http://www.overclock.net/specs.php?do=addsystem Doing so will make it easier for people to help you out.

I made a post a few days ago that though it was aimed at someone else I think you might find some useful info in it. http://www.overclock.net/10734158-post3484.html

Now I don't have a 950. Wish I did LOL. The major difference between 930 and 950 is the higher multiplier to use. So I'm taking a bit of a stab in the dark and assuming you have decent cooling, psu, airflow etc.

This is a 3.8 template based off of xmisery's template (http://www.overclock.net/8440597-post169.html) that I tweaked a tiny bit taking into consideration your RAM and making use of the higher multiplier on the 950. Even if we had the exact same setup and I were to give you my 24/7 rock solid settings; you would still need to adjust it for your own hardware. No two chips are the same.

Code:
Ai Overclock Tuner.....................[Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting......................[23.0]
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[Disabled]
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode...........[Enabled]
BCLK Frequency.........................[166]
PCIE Frequency.........................[100]
DRAM Frequency.........................[DDR3-1328MHz]
UCLK Frequency.........................[2656MHz]
QPI Link Data Rate.....................[Auto]

CPU Voltage Control....................[Manual]
CPU Voltage............................[1.23125]
CPU PLL Voltage........................[1.80]
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage..................[1.24375]
IOH Voltage............................[1.14]
IOH PCIE Voltage.......................[1.50]
ICH Voltage............................[1.20]
ICH PCIE Voltage.......................[1.50]
DRAM Bus Voltage.......................[1.64]
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA...........[Auto]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA...........[Auto]
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB...........[Auto]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB...........[Auto]
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC...........[Auto]
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC...........[Auto]

Load-Line Calibration..................[Enabled]
CPU Differential Amplitude.............[800mV]
CPU Clock Skew.........................[Delay 300ps]
CPU Spread Spectrum....................[Disabled]
IOH Clock Skew.........................[Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum...................[Disabled]

C1E Support............................[Disabled]
Hardware Prefetcher....................[Enabled]
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch...........[Enabled]
Intel(r) Virtualization Tech...........[Disabled]
CPU TM Function........................[Enabled]
Execute Disable Bit....................[Enabled]
Intel(r) HT Technology.................[Enabled]
Active Processor Cores.................[All]
A20M...................................[Disabled]
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[Disabled]
Intel(r) C-STATE Tech..................[Disabled]

Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Chimp Challenge Participant  10 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3597 of 6384 Old 09-28-2010, 08:08 AM
1.7ghz

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal3Wolf View Post
For those of you that own a ASUS P6X58D-E can you use tall ram on the board and still use a big heatsink like the mega with dual fans ?
I'm using a TRUE120 with dual fans and dominator ram and it has no problems. Probably could put two sets of memory in there if you want. It might vary by cooler though so check the comparison on the widths of our heatsinks.

ASUS P6X58D Premium BIOS 1301
Core i7 970 4.2GHz @ 1.340v 1.250v QPI
Corsair Vengeance CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 @ 1600 C9 1.5v
eVGA GTX260 Core 216
Corsair Force 120 SSD / WD 1TB Black, 3 x 4TB Red
Corsair HX750 PSU
Lian-Li PC-A70B w/ Scythe S-Flex F Fans
Pioneer BDR-206BKS BD-RE
HP LP2465 24" S-PVA LCD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
post #3598 of 6384 Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 AM
733mhz

Liked: 2
Quote:
I'm using Corsair Dominator w/ Megahalems in push/pull. 2x 25mm fans. If you only use 3 sticks you'll be fine. I'm not sure about 6 sticks with the far left DIMM.

post #3599 of 6384 Old 09-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Audiophile

Liked: 13
Quote:
Hi, don't know about mega, but if you plan to use Notcua NHD14, it will require that you move the front fan upwards, as the 3 first memory slots will be covered by the front fan.

Here is a picture of my setup to illustrate:

the difference between theory and practice is that theory says there should not be any difference !
post #3600 of 6384 Old 09-28-2010, 08:34 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fockwulf View Post
Hi, don't know about mega, but if you plan to use Notcua NHD14, it will require that you move the front fan upwards, as the 3 first memory slots will be covered by the front fan.

Here is a picture of my setup to illustrate:

Can you provide a link to your RAM? Or just the model of them. That way I can compare the size of your heatspreaders. Debating going to an Arrow sometime down the road with 38MM fans. Want to make sure my RAM will fit under the fans in stock position.

Ya,ya, should probably just get out the measuring tape. Just being lazy.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page