[Official] --The Asus P6X58D Premium & E Thread-- - Page 363 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #3621 of 6384 Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 AM
4.2 ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I am running a fully stable 4.0 GHz OC on my Core i7-930 with 12 GB of Corsair ram but I am on the P6X58D Premium and my ram is a difference part number than the one you listed. I did have a problem with my board but Asus is in the process of RMA'n it now and it wasn't that big of a problem. In fact my messed up board is in this computer that I am typing on so it isn't that bad of a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_in_gva View Post
Hi first post here. Great thread.

I am doing a photoedit build and plan on going with the P6X58D-E. I want to put 12 GB ram onboard and get a decent overclock of the i7 950 I will put onboard.

My reading of this board suggests memory choices can be tricky. Has anyone had experience with either of these solutions and got a good stable overclock?

G.Skill Ripjaws Edition CL8, 3 x 2GB Kit / CL8-8-8-24 (6 GB DDR3-RAM - 1600MHz - (F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM) ....would install 2 kits giving me 12 GB)

or for 35% less...

CORSAIR HX3X12G1600C9
6x 2GB, DDR3-DIMM, PC3-12800 (1600MHz), CL9-9-9-24, heatspreader

Interested in hearing from people with stable systems on this board and 12GB or more of RAM.

Best,

Dave M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodac go_quote.gif
zodac fixed the spreadsheet, but says she doesn't wanna join your unofficial club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdog go_quote.gif
Watch out DickHard I'm coming for you..gunner2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3622 of 6384 Old 10-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
Thx Lawrence.

The Premium has the same caution in the users manual as the P6X58D-E re DDR3-1600 and XMP DIMMS being supported for one DIMM per channel only.

Back to Corsair vs G.Skill.... I kind of feel the G.Skill is more money for little tangible gain. Still, I can't help but notice Oc'ers seem to like the G.Skill memory and Ripjaws in particular so am still interested in it. It does have better timings over the Corsair sticks but no way I'd pay the 35% price premium for that alone without hearing from people who've used 12GB on this board and been able to stably overclock.

Out of interest what was the part number on your Corsair memory?

post #3623 of 6384 Old 10-01-2010, 09:07 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 190
Quote:
I can't help but notice Oc'ers seem to like the G.Skill memory and Ripjaws in particular so am still interested in it. It does have better timings over the Corsair sticks but no way I'd pay the 35% price premium for that alone
Keep in mind that one of the reasons G.Skill has become so popular with Oc'ers is that it used to be significantly cheaper than anything it compared to as far as Frequency and timings. It is only recently that they have been outpriced by the competition. Just my

Also why not just start out with 6Gb and upgrade later on if/when you feel the need to.
Kyushu likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3624 of 6384 Old 10-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Commodore 64

Thx Sizzle.

Take your point about the price factor and as I say have always been happy with Corsair myself.

I definitely want 12 GB - big RAW images, heaps of layers in CS5 and panoramas are what this build will be handling. CS5 and Lightroom 3 make very intense use of CPU and RAM.

Also I tend to build a rig then forget about it - don't usually muck around in there once its up and running, so I spend my time researching the spec and building up front and then migrating to a whole new build (as I'm doing now) in 3-5 years.

post #3625 of 6384 Old 10-01-2010, 09:16 AM
4.2 ghz

Does the G.Skill have a lifetime warranty? My Part Number is: CMX6GX3M3A2000C9 I have 2 of these kits and they are rated at DDR3 2000 9-9-9-24 but I have them running at DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20-1T

Quote:
Thx Lawrence.

The Premium has the same caution in the users manual as the P6X58D-E re DDR3-1600 and XMP DIMMS being supported for one DIMM per channel only.

Back to Corsair vs G.Skill.... I kind of feel the G.Skill is more money for little tangible gain. Still, I can't help but notice Oc'ers seem to like the G.Skill memory and Ripjaws in particular so am still interested in it. It does have better timings over the Corsair sticks but no way I'd pay the 35% price premium for that alone without hearing from people who've used 12GB on this board and been able to stably overclock.

Out of interest what was the part number on your Corsair memory?
He's getting 12 GB of ram because he needs it. I think he said that he is building a Photo editing rig earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sizzzle~ View Post
Keep in mind that one of the reasons G.Skill has become so popular with Oc'ers is that it used to be significantly cheaper than anything it compared to as far as Frequency and timings. It is only recently that they have been outpriced by the competition. Just my

Also why not just start out with 6Gb and upgrade later on if/when you feel the need to.

Quote:
zodac fixed the spreadsheet, but says she doesn't wanna join your unofficial club.
Quote:

post #3626 of 6384 Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrencendlw View Post
He's getting 12 GB of ram because he needs it. I think he said that he is building a Photo editing rig earlier in the thread.
I can read, thanks. Just offering a suggestion.
Kyushu likes this.
post #3627 of 6384 Old 10-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Commodore 64

Your suggestions are very welcome sizzle. I find boards like this an awesome resource because as I say I don't muck around with components too much which means I go for a couple of years between my various builds (HTPC, photoedit, music server etc) without checking in on the PC world.

Every time I return there's been staggering increases (this time it is the SSD drives that has me blown away), but equally well loads of questions and troubleshooting that I want to deal with upfront and hopefully avoid. Your posts here have been hugely helpful to me in thinking through how I want to use this board.

Lawrence, thanks for the memory part number. I can actually get that here in Switzerland - a bit of a better price than the G.Skill but still 25% more than the CORSAIR HX3X12G1600C9. That's spec'd at 1600MHz, CL9-9-9-24 so not as fast as your ram and I'm not sure I'd get your kind of OC on it.....might be worth ponying up the extra 60 bucks or so to give it a shot.

post #3628 of 6384 Old 10-01-2010, 09:38 AM
4.2 ghz

Yeah if you are going to be running it at 1600 anyways then you will see a huge increase in just lowering the timings to 7-7-7-20-1t from 9-9-9-24. I would suggest getting the DDR3 2000 ram even if you don't plan on running it at 2000 speeds (which is hard to get to anyways) because it allows you to get a much lower timing at the same speed as the set you wanted. I'd also suggest the Dominator kits because they are just beasts when it comes to ram. You can find a few kits for about the same price that you can get the kit I have for.

@Sizzle, I never meant it to sound the way that I fee that you took it. I was only meaning to point out that he had posted what this build was for in case you didn't see it. Photo editing will use every bit of a 6GB kit and want more. So 12 GB is the logical amount of ram for him to get.

Quote:
Your suggestions are very welcome sizzle. I find boards like this an awesome resource because as I say I don't muck around with components too much which means I go for a couple of years between my various builds (HTPC, photoedit, music server etc) without checking in on the PC world.

Every time I return there's been staggering increases (this time it is the SSD drives that has me blown away), but equally well loads of questions and troubleshooting that I want to deal with upfront and hopefully avoid. Your posts here have been hugely helpful to me in thinking through how I want to use this board.

Lawrence, thanks for the memory part number. I can actually get that here in Switzerland - a bit of a better price than the G.Skill but still 25% more than the CORSAIR HX3X12G1600C9. That's spec'd at 1600MHz, CL9-9-9-24 so not as fast as your ram and I'm not sure I'd get your kind of OC on it.....might be worth ponying up the extra 60 bucks or so to give it a shot.

Quote:
Quote:

post #3629 of 6384 Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Commodore 64

Thx again Lawrence,

Yeah...1600 Dominator memory here is about the same price as the G.Skill ripjaws I mentioned.

To summarize the memory options available locally for me that I'd be considering for this board based on reading to date:

Corsair
HX3X12G1600C9 6x 2GB (1600MHz) 9-9-9-24 available @ $283
CMX6GX3M3A2000C9, 3x2 GB, (2000MHz)9-9-9-24 (but you got them running at 1600 MHz 7-7-7-20-1T) available @ $344 for 2 kits
CMP6GX3M3A1600C8, 3x 2GB, (1600MHz) 8-8-8-24 Dominators available @ $356 for 2 kits
CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 6x 2GB (1600MHz) 8-8-8-24 Dominators available @ $389

G.Skill
F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM 3 x 2GB (1600 MHz) Ripjaws Edition 8-8-8-24 available @ $383 for 2 kits

That's about a $100 spread. I'd be ready to spring for either end of that price range or pick off a solution in the middle. As I said - this is a photoedit build and I do want to max my CPU/RAM. So for the P6X58D-E board, and a Photoshop/Lightroom build, what do people advise me to go for?

Dave

post #3630 of 6384 Old 10-01-2010, 10:27 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

It's all good. I was just thinking that want may not = need. Purely based on that I like to do a bit of messing around with photo editing myself (although purely amateurish stuff). I can't speak to CS5 but I've messed around with lightroom 3(beta) a bit and am constantly tinkering around in PSP. Other than windows 7 liking to cache up to half of any unused RAM I seldom get anywhere close to using all 6GB of what I have. Even when doing photo editing while folding at the same time. In my view 6GB is still a whole mess of RAM today.

I like overkill though. So if you can afford it and are not concerned about having to balance out that extra strain on the MC then go for it. If though that extra money could be better spent on a better graphics card with more VRAM, larger SSD, or more/faster data drive space then those things would be more beneficial to a photo rig in my opinion. Not that I recall your whole system specs.

I admittingly do differ from the OP in the aspect that I like to go into a new computer thinking about a future RAM upgrade. Sooner or later you will need it but that upgrade will usually be far cheaper later, and also I just find RAM to be about the easiest upgrade to make provided there isn't a cooler blocking any slots.
Kyushu likes this.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page