I've had the P6X58D-E for over a year now, but have not updated the BIOS yet.
I am still running the 0108 BIOS (yeah it is pretty old). I first used an i7 930 which worked great, but have upgraded to an i7 970 since late last year. I have finally looked at the CPU support list only to find that my CPU is supported with a later 0211 BIOS.
My CPU has been stable with the old BIOS with no problems so far, except one. My temperatures are all whack, with one core constantly 10-15deg higher, and 3 others at 5-10 deg higher than the lowest temperature core on Idle. On load, my temps just skyrocket 30-40 degrees at times with IBT. I was using an H70 from the beginning, to custom water cooling, now temporarily on air until my new w/c parts arrive. With several re-mounts on each system, this trend happens with each type of cooling. Maybe I just got a really hot chip?
Now I am wondering if the old BIOS is what is affecting my temperatures. I want to flash to the latest 0701 version. Since this is the first time I am flashing any sort of BIOS, I just want to know a few things.
1) Will all my current settings remain? (Overclock settings, General+Hard drive/boot settings, profiles, etc.
2) Is it best to unplug all drives before doing so?
3) It is safe to update from the oldest bios directly to the newest?
4) Is it possible this update would affect my temp issues?
5) Is there anything else I need to know?
I will be using ASUS EZ Flash 2.