Bang for the buck mechanical? - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 32 Old 06-27-2012, 03:58 PM
4.0 GHz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Do some custom modding and rub them out yourself, haha just kidding. Depending on how they were printed I bet the Quickfire is just painted on so if you use a small amount of -inserts a paint removing agent here- and some friction. It'll be off in no time.

tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 06-27-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
us, one poster reports better build quality from the CM so the price difference isn't enough to sway me for now.
Is that a direct comparison? I have the choc mini for some weeks now and i tried the cm storm and both are the same build quality with the choc mini having pbt=better quality keycaps in white.
Quote:
but I'm put off by how those Asian models look
what do you mean by look?
If you dont like the look get the one you like the look more of course, thats a pretty simple decicion then:D
post #23 of 32 Old 06-28-2012, 02:00 AM
333mhz

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifact View Post

I caved in and ordered the Quickfire Rapid from PCHome—my new rig was just begging for it and I couldn't wait any longer. Thanks for your help everyone.
One last question before I leave: how difficult/pricey would it be to replace the keycaps on this keyboard? I'm especially interested in no-label keycaps.

For a full set of 87 keys it would be about $37. WASDKeyboards. You can basically do any color you want, just take a look:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/87-key-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

Keep in mind though that those are ABS plastic, not PBT. The majority of keycaps you can buy are ABS, but PBT usually lasts longer in terms of it doesn't get 'shiny' from use, and it feels a bit different then ABS. But really you would be just fine with ABS, as the vast majority of keyboards have those on them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 AM
Database Developer

Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorphon View Post

For a full set of 87 keys it would be about $37. WASDKeyboards. You can basically do any color you want, just take a look:
Keep in mind though that those are ABS plastic, not PBT. The majority of keycaps you can buy are ABS, but PBT usually lasts longer in terms of it doesn't get 'shiny' from use, and it feels a bit different then ABS. But really you would be just fine with ABS, as the vast majority of keyboards have those on them.

In my opinion, if you're already going to spend this much on keys you might as well spend a bit more and get PBT, which as you said will last longer and I find feel much nicer. You can find engraved black and white sets for around $50 shipped here
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/pbt-key-caps/catId=3982960

Keep in mind, the $37 that was quoted above does not include shipping so the price difference is really not that great.

post #25 of 32 Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 AM
333mhz

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticKinesis View Post

In my opinion, if you're already going to spend this much on keys you might as well spend a bit more and get PBT, which as you said will last longer and I find feel much nicer. You can find engraved black and white sets for around $50 shipped here
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/pbt-key-caps/catId=3982960
Keep in mind, the $37 that was quoted above does not include shipping so the price difference is really not that great.

Fair enough. Know of anywhere else you can purchase a 87 key set of PBT caps?

post #26 of 32 Old 06-28-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qasual View Post

Do some custom modding and rub them out yourself, haha just kidding. Depending on how they were printed I bet the Quickfire is just painted on so if you use a small amount of -inserts a paint removing agent here- and some friction. It'll be off in no time.
tongue.gif
I don't think I'll be trying that, at least not until a few years of ownership. Maybe the paint will wear off on its own by then. =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveKuchen View Post

Is that a direct comparison? I have the choc mini for some weeks now and i tried the cm storm and both are the same build quality with the choc mini having pbt=better quality keycaps in white.
what do you mean by look?
If you dont like the look get the one you like the look more of course, thats a pretty simple decicion then:D
ChaoticKinesis says he owns both, so it sounds like a direct comparison. From the various photos I've seen, the Asian models (Choc Mini, KBT Race) look somewhat bland and cheap (IMHO) in comparison to the CM keyboards, like they lack finish or something. Also, the CM comes with a palm rest, replacement keycaps and a keycap remover, so it's a better package kind of deal.

As for it being a simple decision, not really; other factors weigh in, such as build quality and cost. But I already ordered the CM so...
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticKinesis View Post

Seems like a fair price, if the shipping fee is right. I don't plan on doing that now, but it's good to know.
post #27 of 32 Old 07-03-2012, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

I just received my QuickFire Rapid and got totally screwed over by customs, making me pay an additional fee of 40€. So anyone ordering from PCHome, be warned.
post #28 of 32 Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Database Developer

Liked: 74
Quote:

Fair enough. Know of anywhere else you can purchase a 87 key set of PBT caps?

The main supplier of PBT keycaps is KBC, who produce the majority of those sets you see priced in the $40-50 range. Qtan's vendio store is the cheapest I've seen them aside from the occasional Geekhack group buy, with which you were sometimes able to save a few dollars. They're also available on Taobao but you won't really save much that way.

There are some other sellers that offer thick PBT sets, often with dye sublimated legends, but these tend to be in the $70-90 range. Those can be purchased from imsto on Taobao (did group buys on Geekhack too) and through Qtan, though you won't see it in his store.

Other sellers may offer them on eBay and elsewhere, but those are the main sources I'm aware of. WASD should be producing PBT keycaps in the coming months though.

post #29 of 32 Old 07-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifact View Post

I just received my QuickFire Rapid and got totally screwed over by customs, making me pay an additional fee of 40€. So anyone ordering from PCHome, be warned.

Sorry to hear that! Keep in mind, PCHome doesn't have control of your countries customs/taxes. Sometimes it depends on the carrier or just the customs themselves. I ordered a $40 holster from the US and by the time I got it in Canada, the duty/brokerage/etc was greater than the cost of the product itself. I've had other items come through with a far greater declared value at a small percentage.

Heatware 30-0 | RFD Feedback 60-0 | HWC Feedback 6-0
post #30 of 32 Old 07-04-2012, 02:15 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 128
Send a message via Skype™ to splinterize
+1 on the razor blackwidow. You wont get the same quality out of it that from, let's say, a ducky or a filco but for the price it's pretty good.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page