Is a mechanical keyboard really worth it. - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 50 Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Commodore 64

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I used to think the same thing then I took a mechanical keyboard to the finger and ended up buying 5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulk View Post

I used to think the same thing then I took a mechanical keyboard to the finger and ended up buying 5

Yup, I have 2 now, and I don't plan on it being my last. I need every switch ever. The end. rolleyes.gif

~ranviper~
post #23 of 50 Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 39
They are def worth it.

Some pay $500+ for custom keyboards...

My power supply is Overkill -_-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 50 Old 11-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Case Modder

Liked: 64
YES! my filco blue is amazing!
planning to get ducky next for my office!
post #25 of 50 Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 1
Definitely worth it. Now, people can hate on Razer all they want, but I've been in love with the BWU ever since I got it. Money well spent!

post #26 of 50 Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Commodore 64

Location: Indiana...land of corn, basketball, and pork tenderloin sandwiches
Liked: 39
Depends. Typing preferences are highly subjective so try out mechanical keyboards with different switches before pulling the trigger.

However, if you use your keyboard all the time, it is worth it IMO. Even more so if you are a serious touch typist. Good mechanical keyboards provide a level of tactile feedback and crisp response that can't be fully matched by rubber-dome keyboards.

Overclocking is proof that free lunches do exist...despite Intel's best attempts to slowly take away your free lunch.

AMD is the only one keeping Intel and NVIDIA honest. Competitive parity works in YOUR favor regardless of brand loyalty.

Fanboyism is an anathema to value, bang for buck and your wallet.

Only YOU (as an informed consumer) have your best interests in mind, not some corporation that exists solely to make a profit off you. The same goes for AMD as well.

The Windows 8 Protest Group
post #27 of 50 Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM

Liked: 68
Like many others have said, if you do more than a fair amount of typing and spend good amounts of time on your keyboard than yes it's worth it. It's totally understandable to be wary and skeptic at first but once you get hands on experience with one and then with the different switch types you'll begin to understand what mechanical k/b supporters are talking about. So far I only have two Ducky's, one a 9008G2 (MX Browns) and the other a Shinning (MX Blues) but both OCN versions.

Steam - tatakai_me

sniper.gifOrigin ID - R350LUT3 gunner2.gif
OCN Headphone Club
"Because perfect hair is overrated"
post #28 of 50 Old 11-17-2012, 05:01 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hd7950 View Post

They're usually over $100 or close to it, but what really makes them worth the premium for one?
Is there like a dramatic improvement over some old $15 (or less) keyboard?

Dont forget that they are a luxury. While they are really nice to use, they wont work better than your 15$ OEM keyboard.
post #29 of 50 Old 11-17-2012, 05:15 PM
333mhz

Liked: 7
before i picked up a mechanical i had a half hight rubber dome which was pretty good. if i had to compare mechanical to a normal rubber dome i would say 100% worth it, would kill me to type on a pos keyboard for a long period. that being said if you have a decent rubber dome the change isnt as huge as some may lead you to believe. that being said depending on your means/preferance/useage it may be well worth it. if you are broke or dont type a lot it may be smarter to just pick up a decent rubber dome for cheap. if you use your keyboard all day or frequently for recreation you may want to switch over as spending more than normal on equipment/toys you use a lot tends to be well worth it in the long run even if it only provides moderate improvement.

as far as what you could expect from a mechanical in general, lighter/cleaner/smoother typing that requires less force and improved tactile feedback aswell as a more satisfying sound signature.

post #30 of 50 Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Liked: 48
I think they are worth it. When I was researching on here someone mentioned about "..it's the interface to your computer blah blah blah..." It made sense, I do not regret my purchase in the least.

I did instantly get faster typing speed, not that I care much, but it is a bonus.

I paid a fair amount for mine because it had to have back-lighting, I did not want to purchase a premium keyboard that was not back-lit. If you do not care about back-lighting, as others have mentioned you can get a decent plank for around $80.

Think of all the money you spend on parts you never touch. You already have a performance machine, why not add a leather interior with a Momo steering wheel? It adds some comfort and class although it does not stick to your ass.

It is literally one of my favorite accessories I have ever bought for my computer. It's been weeks and I still wake up excited in the morning. lol

My Ducky goes "Clack clack"
ripster likes this.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page