[Official] Mechanical Keyboard Club - Because saving money is boring. - Page 762 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7611 of 37003 Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 PM
 
Erio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 9
338
New setup, Wirst rest by eric and Realforce 10th 55g tenkeyless.
Erio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7612 of 37003 Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 PM
4.0 GHz
 
slytown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticKinesis View Post

Most will say that the tactility of browns is less apparent than that of blues, making it like a quieter and slightly less tactile blue switch. I only agree about the quieter part, though the slightly lower actuation force may make the tactility less noticeable if the keys are struck quickly and with reasonable force.
With a brown switch the tactile point is earlier and more pronounced. This can be observed on the force diagram because the hump representing the tactile point begins earlier, is shorter in length, and has a steeper slope. What I dislike about browns is how early that peak is and how it collapses immediately afterward. This is similar to how rubberdomes feel, although I think on browns the collapse is more apparent and smoother. Topre switches do the same thing, which is why I wasn't a fan of them either. The blue switch does not collapse in the same way and it does so later and more gradually, making it feel smoother.
Overall I prefer typing on linear switches, though I also like blues.

I think you have your terminology mixed up, at least in relation to my observations. Topres feel smoother to me than MX tactile switches. If you ask any veterans they will see MX Clears are the closest to many rubber domes. I was just confused by your saying browns were because I find browns quite different from rubber domes, for their tactility and their low force actuation.
slytown is offline  
post #7613 of 37003 Old 05-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Database Developer
 
ChaoticKinesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by slytown View Post

I think you have your terminology mixed up, at least in relation to my observations. Topres feel smoother to me than MX tactile switches. If you ask any veterans they will see MX Clears are the closest to many rubber domes. I was just confused by your saying browns were because I find browns quite different from rubber domes, for their tactility and their low force actuation.

I had a Topre 55g that I used for a few days before deciding to sell it. While it was slightly smoother than a rubber dome, smooth is not a word I would use to characterize the feeling. I did not find the difference in feel between that Topre and an ordinary rubber dome to be all that different. I understand the 45g is lighter so that may feel smoother but I haven't tried. I've also never tried clears, but I can imagine it feeling more similar to a rubber dome than the other Cherry switches.

At this point I have owned keyboards with brown, blue, black, and red switches. While none of them feel like rubber domes, I would compare the short build-up and quick drop-off of brown switches to them. Not all rubber domes require that much more force than browns so I disagree about citing its lower actuation force. Ultimately my point was that I do not find it accurate to say that browns and blues are both tactile, with the main difference being that blues click and require slightly more actuation force. Their tactile properties are very different.

ChaoticKinesis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7614 of 37003 Old 05-26-2012, 01:10 AM
 
juano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 574
I find it weird that 'experienced' mech keyboards guys are trying to find the closest to rubber domes, I thought we were trying to get away from rubber domes. I myself being a mech board newb wouldn't mind something a little closer to a rubber dome than my reds, but I'm getting used to them.

I actually don't want 'closer to rubber dome' for the sake of familiarity but rather because I find reds not too light to depress overall, but too light initially so a little more initial force required would be good for me. My biggest problem (which I know is just due to bad typing form, so no need to chastise me) is that it's so easy to activate a key near the target as well as one you meant to hit, not from a complete miss with the finger but more from a slight miss like sloppy aim or fat fingeredness whatever you want to call it. So I just want keys that are a little less likely to be activated by a strong breeze initially while still being light overall and I think browns would do that for me.


Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant  250 Million Folding Points  Foldathon Participant 2016  Foldathon Participant 2017  Forum Folding War 2017 

juano is offline  
post #7615 of 37003 Old 05-26-2012, 02:22 AM
Database Developer
 
ChaoticKinesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1,105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm not sure how "experienced" I am, considering I've only been using mechanical keyboards for seven months but I have had a chance to sample the switches quite a bit. I don't know if you were referring to me, but I don't believe I ever indicated wanting anything like a rubber dome. I'm actually very happy to get away from rubber domes. After several years of searching for a keyboard I would actually like and always coming up short, I do not miss them one bit.

Originally, I found black switches to be a great departure from rubber domes, having instantly fallen in love with their feel. Earlier this week I got a keyboard with reds, which are now my new favorite. Good luck finding your favorite switch. smile.gif

ChaoticKinesis is offline  
post #7616 of 37003 Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Retired Staff
 
Paradigm84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 7,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I know this thread probably gets this question every page, and I apologize in advance, but could anyone suggest a good mechanical keyboard for <$200?

I live in the UK and I don't know where I can try out any mechanical keyboards as we don't really have any enthusiast PC stores so 'try before you buy' isn't really an option, the only mechanical keyboard I've really tried out so far is the Steelseries 6GV2 which was great, but I can't find the switch type so I'm not sure what other keyboards there are out there that might be better.

I see lots of people raving about the Filco keyboards, are they particularly amazing?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant  5 Million+ Folding at Home points  OCN Labs Reviewer 

Paradigm84 is offline  
post #7617 of 37003 Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 PM
 
mcpetrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 3,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 View Post

I know this thread probably gets this question every page, and I apologize in advance, but could anyone suggest a good mechanical keyboard for <$200?

I live in the UK and I don't know where I can try out any mechanical keyboards as we don't really have any enthusiast PC stores so 'try before you buy' isn't really an option, the only mechanical keyboard I've really tried out so far is the Steelseries 6GV2 which was great, but I can't find the switch type so I'm not sure what other keyboards there are out there that might be better.

I see lots of people raving about the Filco keyboards, are they particularly amazing?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

First thing is first, have a read through the mechanical keyboard guide, it should give you a great starting knowledge. http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

 

The Steelseries 6GV2 uses black switches, personally I use it as my main board on my rig as I do more gaming than typing on it. However I am getting a new board with red switches in it (which I have tried a few times at my friends house) which I am planning to be my main board. I also have brown and blue switches to compare to and if you enjoyed the black switches you should find the reds as good all rounders.

mcpetrolhead is offline  
post #7618 of 37003 Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 PM
4.0 GHz
 
kikkO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 2,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Cooler Master Storm Trigger

Wish there's a mechanical keyboard with the bottom row of keys (ctrl, win key, alt, space bar, etc) rounded instead edgy squares.

450
kikkO is offline  
post #7619 of 37003 Old 05-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Retired Staff
 
Paradigm84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Warwickshire, UK
Posts: 7,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpetrolhead View Post

First thing is first, have a read through the mechanical keyboard guide, it should give you a great starting knowledge. http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

The Steelseries 6GV2 uses black switches, personally I use it as my main board on my rig as I do more gaming than typing on it. However I am getting a new board with red switches in it (which I have tried a few times at my friends house) which I am planning to be my main board. I also have brown and blue switches to compare to and if you enjoyed the black switches you should find the reds as good all rounders.

I read through the guide but it didn't really help me narrow down to a specific keyboard, although blues, blacks and reds all sound good, although they also sound like they are the most popular.

Chimp Challenge Participant  5 Million+ Folding at Home points  OCN Labs Reviewer 

Paradigm84 is offline  
post #7620 of 37003 Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Add me please, got a CM Storm Quickfire Pro with browns. wheee.gif

338

sig
Malcolm is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off