HP DV6 dedicated GPU - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was looking at a post here at tom's hardware and it said that some manufacturers allow their GPU to be replaced, which can be done by taking the whole thing apart and unscrewing the GPU then changing it with another one...is it really possible with some brands? i mean, with HP DV6, did anyone try to take it apart and see?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 AM
4.0ghz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss View Post

I was looking at a post here at tom's hardware and it said that some manufacturers allow their GPU to be replaced, which can be done by taking the whole thing apart and unscrewing the GPU then changing it with another one...is it really possible with some brands? i mean, with HP DV6, did anyone try to take it apart and see?

It might be, you would have to find out if the DV6 you have has a soldered GPU or an mxm type slotted gpu. Then you would have to figure out what gpus the board will support, if any.

Brands like Sager, Malibal, Mythlogic, (and any other clevo based notebooks) as well as MSI, Alienware, and Dell, Maybe even toshiba, all sell notebooks with slot type cards and notebooks with soldered gpus, but there are generally some limitations on the upgrades for the slot ones... it definitely isn't as easy as throwing a new GPU into a desktop. often times, a modded vbios and modded drivers are required to get the card to run properly, and in other cases its a drop in and install, possibly with a modified driver.

I certainly wouldn't buy a DV6 now with the hopes to upgrade, I would look at another brand and model that more readily supports a GPU upgrade.

post #3 of 14 Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by identitycrisis View Post

It might be, you would have to find out if the DV6 you have has a soldered GPU or an mxm type slotted gpu. Then you would have to figure out what gpus the board will support, if any.
Brands like Sager, Malibal, Mythlogic, (and any other clevo based notebooks) as well as MSI, Alienware, and Dell, Maybe even toshiba, all sell notebooks with slot type cards and notebooks with soldered gpus, but there are generally some limitations on the upgrades for the slot ones... it definitely isn't as easy as throwing a new GPU into a desktop. often times, a modded vbios and modded drivers are required to get the card to run properly, and in other cases its a drop in and install, possibly with a modified driver.
I certainly wouldn't buy a DV6 now with the hopes to upgrade, I would look at another brand and model that more readily supports a GPU upgrade.

Problem is, i have bought it and can't do anything about it. Good thing is that it comes with 8 GB 1600 mhz DDR3 and i7 3610qm which is a top notch CPU so i guess if it is somewhat possible in future to upgrade the video card by unsoldering it and replacing it if possible, it would be better than buying a "new" laptop :/

Well i was being a little creative because in theory it should be possible but physically it might be quite hard without breaking up components. So i was just wondering if anyone else out there tried this crazy thing with their old mobile GPUs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-02-2012, 12:12 PM
4.0ghz

Desoldering and resolding a GPU would pretty much be out... Might get away with it if you were to replace a dead one with the same thing, but seems to me its not worth it.

I fit has a socket GPU then you might be able to upgrade it to a better gpu from the same or next generation, but unlikely.

That's a decent laptop specwise, whats the GPU in it?

post #5 of 14 Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

gt 630m

post #6 of 14 Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 PM
4.0ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wboss View Post

gt 630m

Unlikely that it can be upgraded then. That's an onboard dedicated card I believe. It can be over clocked using evga precision or the MSI utility. Just watch your temps.

Edit**** 2500th post!!!

post #7 of 14 Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 PM
RAM Fan

Liked: 65
Does the hp dv series have the issue where the gpu actually desoldered from the board due to high heat requiring you to bake it back on smile.gif
I remember those days

post #8 of 14 Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well i've just got my laptop like a month ago and i've had been gaming ever since, so i have had such a issue yet...I doubt, they would have such a thing in latest DV6 laptops..

post #9 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 03:27 PM

Liked: 3
Hi, I don't know if you can do something like this in your laptop, I have a dv6 with a 6770m and what i did is overclock it, you just have to change an option of the graphics in the bios, then you download msi afterburner and finally you change a .txt to aloud you to overclock. My graphic card works at 900MHz the gpu clock and 960MHz the memory, is a 22.3% more powerfull (1625p of graphics score in 3dmark 11) like a GTX 460m.

Obviously I used a laptop refrigerator to get it stable...
post #10 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tor6770 View Post

Hi, I don't know if you can do something like this in your laptop, I have a dv6 with a 6770m and what i did is overclock it, you just have to change an option of the graphics in the bios, then you download msi afterburner and finally you change a .txt to aloud you to overclock. My graphic card works at 900MHz the gpu clock and 960MHz the memory, is a 22.3% more powerfull (1625p of graphics score in 3dmark 11) like a GTX 460m.

Obviously I used a laptop refrigerator to get it stable...

what do you mean by laptop refrigerator?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page