How do i use the win 8.1 recovery partition on laptop with win 10 installed? - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-29-2016, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Got a MSI GT72 2QD dominator with win 10, and i can't figure out how to use the recovery partition to get it back to 8.1 the reset option it had now was only back to a fresh win 10

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 265
Just go on Microsofts website and make a USB installer for win 8.1 and it will work fine and you won't even have to put in a product code. It's embedded in the mobo of a win 8 or newer.

Unless you are wanting the bloatware version of windows 8.1 LOL. I'd rather have a clean version personally.

I've never done a recovery from a partition on a hard drive. I would think you have to set that drive as your boot device or force boot that drive from in the bios so it loads the partition and go from there.

I always make USB installers from Microsofts site. I have one for Win 7 Home, Pro, Win 8.1 Home, Win 10 Home and Pro same one. You just need a 4 or 8 gig USB which is $4 at Microcenter or a cheap one wherever you can get them cheap.

I also have the MSI GT72, but the 6QD ( 6820HK & 970m ) , what a great machine!! I love it and it's treating me very well in everything I do.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-29-2016, 12:33 PM
RHCSA

Liked: 380
Yea the recovery partition is really only useful if you are wanting the way the laptop came, aka with all the bloat on it.
With most laptops for windows 8 and up, the CD key is embedded right into the bios.

So you can either download the windows 8 iso, and install that, or download the windows 10 iso and install that.
Both can be downloaded from the microsoft website.

Windows 8: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

PS: to get to the recovery partition it is likely something you have to hit during boot up to get into the recovery.

Funny junk (Click to show)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaiber go_quote.gif
If you watch Jaws in reverse, it's about this shark that throws up so many people they had to open a beach because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif
I'm finally watching the video. Presently, I'm at 1:18 into the video and all I'm thinking is "this is a pre-built; it is supposed to be slow".

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page