Yet another user in need of expert recommendations. (Help me pick a laptop!) - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-23-2016, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there. I need a laptop. Right now I've got an undead Gateway NE522. Almost every component has been replaced at least once, but now the actual frame of the laptop is coming apart. So here's what I want from my new laptop, in order of importance:

1) Needs to be a Windows computer with a 13-16 inch screen.
2) The price must be right. Less than $600, but I'm willing to buy a used laptop so the off-the-shelf price could be higher.
3) Good build quality. This will not be a stay-at-home laptop, and I want to have it for years, so it has to be tough. I don't want it to break, and when it does break I want to be able to repair it without damaging it more. It also means that the hardware shouldn't degrade over time.
4) Gimme ports. I want a network port; at least 3 USB; SATA and VGA if possible.
5) Storage. I don't need terabytes, but I want more than an SSD worth of storage.

Also I would love a lit keyboard, but I know that that's rare. I'm turning to you guys because according to the reviews on Amazon and Newegg, no one is happy with their laptop! I've heard good things about ThinkPads, and the L560, X260, and T560 seem perfect for me but I am looking for outside input.

Any help is appreciated,
Aidan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-30-2016, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

bump

Last edited by RichB; 06-30-2014 at 06:16 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-30-2016, 02:06 PM
? I can game anywhere ...I want to. ?

Liked: 319
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234226

$600 refurb
Asus
Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50 GHz)
8 GB Memory
750 GB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
DVD Super Multi

Can anyone explain to me why MSI needs our laptops back on top of the wholesale price they're already more or less recouping from us with their GT72(s)/GT80(s) trade in program? MSI isn't a company you can trust!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-30-2016, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Do you have personal experience with it? It looks like it has everything I need, but I'd rather pay for build quality than a touchscreen, 8GB RAM, a 2bg vRAM, etc.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-30-2016, 04:04 PM

Liked: 18
What about resolution and battery life?

Edit: if you have your heart set on a Lenovo, I'd recommend the T4xx series. You should be able to get a second hand or refurbished T450 for close to $600, but the screen will probably be pretty low res; they made ones with 1080p screens, but you'll have to spend a little extra to get one. For reliability and speed, I would also recommend getting an SSD (separately, because it'll be cheaper).
post #6 of 9 Old 07-30-2016, 05:32 PM
? I can game anywhere ...I want to. ?

Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidanofVT View Post

Do you have personal experience with it? It looks like it has everything I need, but I'd rather pay for build quality than a touchscreen, 8GB RAM, a 2bg vRAM, etc.

No, I have an MSI gaming laptop. Had an Asus gaming laptop before that. Asus is generally decent in their quality.

I'd was thinking of suggesting this MSI [below], but it is $700. MSI gaming laptops are pretty sturdy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154112

Can anyone explain to me why MSI needs our laptops back on top of the wholesale price they're already more or less recouping from us with their GT72(s)/GT80(s) trade in program? MSI isn't a company you can trust!
post #7 of 9 Old 07-30-2016, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

1080p is fine. I'm working with a four-hour battery right now, so I'd like it to last at least that long.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-01-2016, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

Could anyone just give some general build-quality brand recommendations? I've heard good things about ASUS. Remember, I'm looking for something which is not only tough, but also easy to repair.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-05-2016, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
Overclocker in Training

It seems to me that the central issue is that by the time it's been discovered which laptops really have the quality to last, those laptops are outmoded. I continue to hear good things about thinkpads, but I also heard that the current models use a method of screen-dimming which can cause eye-fatigue. Can anyone comment on that?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page