Windows users moaning that Linux doesn't behave like Windows - Page 10 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 127 Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Apple Enthusiast
 
Nocturin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere OverThe Rainbow
Posts: 5,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki View Post

I understand you're a bit confused, so I'll explain so you can better understand. ^_^
You know how some devices, you can plug them in your PC and they install drivers automatically? Apparently, my phone has that ability.
As unbelievable as it sounds, my network card does not.
So, I take a USB cable, plug my phone in my laptop. Once plugged in I connect my phone to my WiFi network, and my PC detects the network connection through my phone giving me access to the internet.
I only need one Galaxy SII to do this.
Hopefully now you understand.. thumb.gif

yup biggrin.gif

I havent tried to tether a phone since my old wm6.5 so it was a little more complicated biggrin.gif

Currently on Hiatus
1nf3ction is a BOSS!
BF3 id: Nocturin3
Disclaimer: IMHO; If you take it otherwise, your doing it wrong.
#OccupyAMD

Warnig: lulz (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher go_quote.gif

That's a good questions, my 3 female room mates use the bathroom upstairs, I just use the shower downstairs, we might have to use the trunk of my car instead, I know that's sterile and has rubber mats and walls in it haha.
Also, more updates biggrin.gif We need to keep this thread somewhat on topic haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude go_quote.gif

Yo dawg I heard you like computers in computers so we put a computer in your computer so you can use your computer while...thumb.gif
go_quote.gif

Nocturin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 127 Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 PM
 
paulerxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 3,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I honestly don't want Linux to be just like Windows. Linux is much faster and stream lined because it isn't "fat and bloated" like Windows.
Having said that, I do think it is selfish to want to keep the entry level bar high on Linux.
Just my opinion.
Yeah, when it works.

swah

paulerxx is offline  
post #93 of 127 Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Intel Overclocker
 
Lucky 23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Corona Ca
Posts: 2,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I'm a new linux user, installing Xubuntu 12.04 on my laptop a week ago and so far i love it. I'm glad its not windows and i am enjoying playing w/ something different thumb.gif
Miki likes this.
Lucky 23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 127 Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 PM
sudo su rm -rf /
 
Rookie1337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: /dev/random
Posts: 8,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Basically the whole " give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish, he'll eat for his entire life " type of thing smile.gif

That would destroy consumptionism and pretty much all of the current format of economics. I actually feel like that plays into the whole reason Linux isn't mainstream. If people are required to know so much about their technology then that's probably too much for the limited capacity of the human brain and would likely make them less effective at whatever they were supposed to have specialized at. That's kind of the whole direction we've been moving...I don't have to know how to fish, gut, clean, and prep meat anymore so I can go out and become skilled in some job that someone else who can fish, gut, clean, and prep doesn't want to do and make money to spend on that food that cost me nothing in knowledge, time, or effort. Everyone "benefits". I like Linux a lot but I think the fact that it requires more time in one way or another (when you start getting towards the more complicated things or having to fix bugs/glitches) puts it at odds with the overall trend of society. The trend is overspecialization; meaning near ignorance in all areas but the one a person chooses to specialize in. I've come to realize that is the reason that MS will likely fall is because Windows is still more difficult than Android, OSX, iOS have been made to be for most people. As much as I hate it...I know that the reason people choose those OSes is because it only cost them money. There is no real effort or knowledge required. Things may not just work...but they don't have to know anything to get them to work (by having others fix things or by clicking something in a GUI)

Just like hobbyist car, audio, and OCing...if it requires work out of the end user; don't expect it to become a mainstream thing.
Rookie1337 is offline  
post #95 of 127 Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Gone From OCN
 
Shrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nixers / Reddit
Posts: 10,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

That would destroy consumptionism and pretty much all of the current format of economics. I actually feel like that plays into the whole reason Linux isn't mainstream. If people are required to know so much about their technology then that's probably too much for the limited capacity of the human brain and would likely make them less effective at whatever they were supposed to have specialized at. That's kind of the whole direction we've been moving...I don't have to know how to fish, gut, clean, and prep meat anymore so I can go out and become skilled in some job that someone else who can fish, gut, clean, and prep doesn't want to do and make money to spend on that food that cost me nothing in knowledge, time, or effort. Everyone "benefits". I like Linux a lot but I think the fact that it requires more time in one way or another (when you start getting towards the more complicated things or having to fix bugs/glitches) puts it at odds with the overall trend of society. The trend is overspecialization; meaning near ignorance in all areas but the one a person chooses to specialize in. I've come to realize that is the reason that MS will likely fall is because Windows is still more difficult than Android, OSX, iOS have been made to be for most people. As much as I hate it...I know that the reason people choose those OSes is because it only cost them money. There is no real effort or knowledge required. Things may not just work...but they don't have to know anything to get them to work (by having others fix things or by clicking something in a GUI)
Just like hobbyist car, audio, and OCing...if it requires work out of the end user; don't expect it to become a mainstream thing.

Yet, basic computer knowledge isn't a hobby anymore. It's almost hard to find a job that doesn't require computers and some decent knowledge of use of them, outside of hard labor.

People seem to get confused that just because they grew up with windows that they didn't have to learn to use it. Much like I learned to use Linux at an early age, learning Windows second was a much bigger challange.

But in all honesty how many average people know how to do anything on a computer other than click a web browser icon, or IM icon? In that respect both are equal. They are both equal as well that they (for the most part) have start buttons. Linux imo takes the edge for sorting, as it groups programs based on their usage ( internet, office, games, etc ) where windows just lists the program names in a giant list that seemingly lists them randomly with no real order outside of install date. Everything the average person needs is installed by default in most distro's such as Mint and Ubuntu, Windows can't really say that, unless we're counting windows messenger ( the old one, do they even still include that anymore? ) and an outdated outlook express. No office tools for writing up decently detailed papers, most Linux distro's / DE's at least bundle Libre/Open Office these days.

How many average people actually call Microsoft support? If people actually did that and they were even the slightest bit helpful, I'd be out of business.

And I've converted a good bit of my family from my 50 year old mother to my 80 year old grandparents and all of them have had no trouble. And honestly still think they're on Windows ( with a different name ) for the most part.

Which I think is what it mostly comes down to. If you tell someone somethings different, they freak out and start rambling on about not knowing how to use it and blah blah blah, when they already have that knowledge, they just don't know it because they've never had to really think about it before.

Everything in this life requires some work out of the mainstream user. Every job you've ever taken will be skills added to your arsenal, notches in your belt. Just because you didn't want to gut and scale a fish and let someone else do it, doesn't mean it worked out for everyone. You passed up a chance to add another skill set to what you bring to the table. If the world were to now come to a hault as we know it and back to old times, you would starve as you passed up the chance to learn how to prepare basic food. While the guy who took your place would basically be relished as a god, and be able to not only feed himself but provide for a town. Bad example maybe, but lessons should never be passed up for any reason, you only lose in the end.
Shrak is offline  
post #96 of 127 Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
KyadCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki View Post

I understand you're a bit confused, so I'll explain so you can better understand. ^_^
You know how some devices, you can plug them in your PC and they install drivers automatically? Apparently, my phone has that ability.
As unbelievable as it sounds, my network card does not.
So, I take a USB cable, plug my phone in my laptop. Once plugged in I connect my phone to my WiFi network, and my PC detects the network connection through my phone giving me access to the internet.
I only need one Galaxy SII to do this.
Hopefully now you understand.. thumb.gif

That is called Plug 'n Play. Almost every external device is P'n'P, while almost every internal device is not.

And for the record, how many of the things in your laptop came out after Win 7 passed dev testing. Now how many came out after the latest version of your distro released. There's one reason why most of linux's generic drivers work.

Also, how many external P'n'P things will work in Windows vs Linux? For windows, they should all work right away (dev support), while with linux you'll need to wait for an update to include the needed drivers if it isn't a copy of something out already.

There's pros and cons to both sides, neither is magic.
Miki likes this.
KyadCK is offline  
post #97 of 127 Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 AM
(╯✧∇✧)╯
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: California
Posts: 5,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

That is called Plug 'n Play. Almost every external device is P'n'P, while almost every internal device is not.

And for the record, how many of the things in your laptop came out after Win 7 passed dev testing. Now how many came out after the latest version of your distro released. There's one reason why most of linux's generic drivers work.

Also, how many external P'n'P things will work in Windows vs Linux? For windows, they should all work right away (dev support), while with linux you'll need to wait for an update to include the needed drivers if it isn't a copy of something out already.

There's pros and cons to both sides, neither is magic.

Thank you, I totally forgot what it was called. c:

Hm, I've never really thought of that. A fair point, although it still doesn't change the fact the process of me installing Ubuntu is far easier than installing my copy of Windows. tongue.gif

I'm not sure, I don't have a lot of P'n'P devices to really do a test of comparison. My phone was detected fine, so was my printer (which is a wireless printer, if that matters). Windows had similar success though.

You may be right though. I was under the impression that Linux was usually fast with updates. I'm not an expert though.

I do agree there's pros and cons with both. Actually, I was never arguing otherwise. One member on here said he had a horrible time with Linux, and he was "never touching it again"....

I shared my experience, which was a polar opposite of his, to show him that it might be worth rethinking his feelings and possibly give Linux another shot some day.

I have had bad and good experiences with Windows, and honestly, mostly good. I'm not here to bash Windows, I'm here because I happen to be using Linux, and I like it, so far.

I actually want the Nokia 920 for my next phone. So yeah, you and I are on the same page I think. ^__^

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Miki is offline  
post #98 of 127 Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 AM
News Fiend
 
todd_beedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Swartz Creek, MI
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

muahaha a bit dusty but still usable....
YUP same here...

Chimp Challenge Participant  7 Million+ Folding at Home points 

todd_beedy is offline  
post #99 of 127 Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 AM
News Fiend
 
todd_beedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Swartz Creek, MI
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Basically the whole " give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish, he'll eat for his entire life " type of thing smile.gif

KEY WORDS HERE... "Teach him to fish" not call him stupid because he doesn't know what a fishing pole is...

Chimp Challenge Participant  7 Million+ Folding at Home points 

todd_beedy is offline  
post #100 of 127 Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Gone From OCN
 
Shrak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nixers / Reddit
Posts: 10,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_beedy View Post

KEY WORDS HERE... "Teach him to fish" not call him stupid because he doesn't know what a fishing pole is...

And yet there's plenty of those kinds of Windows users too. Most Linux users I know are more than willing to help when they can, sure I've met a few idiots along the way, but not enough of them to make a lasting impression on me. Just need to grow some thicker skin, ignore them, and move on to the next.
Shrak is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off