"Fairly" new to Linux; looking for some help. - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 43 Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I screwed it all up and had to start from scratch again. This is so difficult. I wish I had a friend who was good with Linux to help me out lol...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

don't count your chickens when it comes to ubuntu wink.gif they seem to be going their own way of late

They can do whatever they like, they still won't stop you from installing your own programs. Even with Mir.

give it 5 years before you have to chroot into another distro to use anything that isn't signed on the Ubuntu app center. another 2 and you will have to jailbreak it iphone style. I can see closed source in the close Ubuntu horizon

post #13 of 43 Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Gone From OCN

Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

give it 5 years before you have to chroot into another distro to use anything that isn't signed on the Ubuntu app center. another 2 and you will have to jailbreak it iphone style. I can see closed source in the close Ubuntu horizon

Not unless they completely rewrite the kernel to make it their own. As long as it's still Linux, it's opensource and good luck to them in locking it down.

Also quite off-topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 43 Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Just got the DE and theme re-installed... Working on getting the Window Manager in. Having better luck this time.

post #15 of 43 Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 PM

Liked: 0
Longtime linux user here.

I commend your willingness to adventure, but I think the way you are approaching (i.e., using emerald with Gnome 3 or Unity) the hard way.

I've used the combination of Emerald + Compiz with a variety of DE such as Gnome 2, XFCE4 and LXDE, and while it is one way to get a pretty desktop with desktop effects, it is much easier nowadays to just tweak around with some of the more full-featureed DE such as KDE, Gnome 3, or Unity. Specifically, I think it a pain how you have to configure compiz to autostart and then have to tell compiz to use emerald as the windows manager. Second, emerald is not really actively developed anymore, and the selection of designs is kind of limited.

If you are using Gnome 3, you have a ton of options to configure your desktop using the Gnome Tweak Tool. There are a lot of a Gnome Shell themes out there, and many new ones are being created. You should have plenty of options to configure a pretty desktop. Even better, Gnome3's desktop effects are a lot easier to manage than compiz or compiz+emerald.

However, I think you would be most impressed moving to KDE. Hands down, KDE is the most customizable DE. It's Kwin desktop manager is more customizable and stable than compiz, and it runs better on older hardware. KDE is much more flexible for doing thing such as creating multiple desktops, each with different icons and different wallpapers. The last one is tough to do with Gnome3 and Unity. So yeah, I would recommend try out a KDE distro like Kubuntu.
post #16 of 43 Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Well, it wasn't SO hard... The hardest part was finding just where to get all the right downloads, really.

Right now I changed Ubuntu 12.10 to run off Gnome 3. I've got the DE theme installed, like I said...

This one window manager theme I really want just doesn't want to apply. I installed all the right software (Compiz, Compiz Fusion, Emerald Theme Manager), downloaded the window manager... Imported it into Emerald Theme, and it just doesn't want to apply. I set Compiz to use Emerald Theme Manager with the command, and the theme still just won't apply for whatever reason.

post #17 of 43 Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Gone From OCN

Liked: 605
Have you tried opening a terminal and typing "compiz --replace &" ?

If so what is the result?
post #18 of 43 Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Fungus

Liked: 397
Oh man, when I'm in linux again I'll look at it but their is a neat program out that helps you switch between compositors (on all desktops). I like it because you don't have to do what Shrak said above, if anyone else knows that'd be cool. Compiz manager or something like that.

int getRandomNumber()
{
  return 4; // Chosen by random dice roll
}              // guaranteed to be random.
post #19 of 43 Old 03-14-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Have you tried opening a terminal and typing "compiz --replace &" ?

If so what is the result?
I did that and my entire desktop environment disappeared... And now I can't get my old one back. I'm ready to quit on this. x_x It's been an all day affair to apply two freaking themes.

EDIT: Was able to get back to where I was before. Still can't get the window manager to apply. If I try the opposite and do "emerald --replace &" I get a message after it saying "[1] 2648" in the terminal, then it just ends there and allows me to enter more commands.

post #20 of 43 Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Fungus

Liked: 397
Go grab the fusion-icon

sudo apt-get install fusion-icon

run it:

fusion-icon

you should get an icon in the task manager, it will allow you to switch between composition managers and window managers, give that a try.

int getRandomNumber()
{
  return 4; // Chosen by random dice roll
}              // guaranteed to be random.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page